Chalice vs. Tear

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mambawarrior

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2012

Tear-manamune is far better late game, as AP isn't particualarly good on Yorick, but a chalice ill immediately solve his mana troubles.
I'd say chalice, but only upgrade it if nothing else is useful.

Certified

08-14-2012

Chalice if you're having a hard time sustaining in lane...
Chalice if you're playing against Vlad, Rumble or Kennen...

Chalice will solve your mana issues early, at the expense of late game power...
If you NEED the mana in order to stay in lane and farm, take chalice, otherwise you won't be effective late game due to farming issues...
If you're comfortable against your lane opponent and feel that you can survive on tear for a large portion of the laning phase (If you have an easy match-up) then stick with Tear IMO, it will give you less early game sustain/poke, but far better late game damage out-put (If you can stack it enough + upgrade)...

Tear > Chalice late game...
Chalice > Tear early game...

If you're having issues and losing your lane so horribly that you can't farm/sustain with a tear, try challice... Hurts your late game, but if you can't farm early-game, you're late game is screwed anyway...

Ansate

08-14-2012

Technically speaking, if you were to just grab a chalice for a laning purposes then move onto another item, you're saving about 1.1k gold towards a new item that could be much better than the manamune, assuming you make it to late game.

However, I've just done tear into MM purely cause it just gives a lot of benefit. You get mana, you get AD, you get more rape to deal out. It's mostly a matter of choice of how secure you think you'll be.

jadelink

08-21-2012

If against vlad, rumble, kennen, kayle or akali I would probably get both. If you need the MR there is a synergy there, as chalice lets you spam ghouls to charge tear/manamune faster.

Peligrad

08-21-2012

A tear is a much better route for Yorick.

Consider the fact that many of the best tanky dps items in the game have mana on them.

Frozen heart, Banshee's Veil, Trinity Force.

Now consider that you get bonus AD for each one of these you buy due to manamume.

Free AD is good. Case and point.

Edit: if you are looking for some early MR. I'd point you toward Spirit Visage before chalice.

Autocthon

08-21-2012

Tear beats Chalice simply because the itemization on Grail is terrible for him. That AP is really weak on him, and he has other (better) options for MR. Like BV (which also synergizes with his passive AND Manamune).

If you want to *just* buy Chalice against a high magic damage opponent and never upgrade it to sell later that is acceptable.