Chalice vs. Tear

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CynicalSilas

Master Recruiter

08-13-2012

On Yorik, which would be a better early game item, Chalice of Harmony (to build into Athenes) or Tears of the Goddess (to build into Manamune)

Normally, I start Meki and Pots, sometimes Meki/Healing/Mana depending if I need to harass my lane a bit more. So, onward.

Item breakdown:
-Chalice of Harmony
+7.5 Mana Regen
+30 MR
Unique passive: Increase mana regen by 1% for each 1% mana that is missing.

Now this offers a great mana regen, and allows me to harass frequently, but I can run out of mana pretty quick doing this. This also offers nice MR for a cheap price, allowing me to sustain in my lane vs AP carry or caster.

Builds into Athenes
+90 AP
+40 MR
+15 Mana Regen
+ 15 CDR
Unique Passive: Restores 12% mana on kill/assist
Unique Passive: 1% mana regen per 1% missing.

Total Price:
2,950 gold
Chalice - 890 gold.

This will allow me the mana regen of Chalice, with a nice CDR early, nice AP boost, nice MR and mana regen with the added 12% mana boost on kill/assist.

Item Breakdown:
-Tear of the Goddess
+300 Mana
+7% mana regen
Unique Passive: Increase mana by 4 each time you use an ability, 3 second CD. Caps at 1k.

This gives me a huge mana boost, again allowing me to stick in my lane a lot more with my healing minion, also increasing my Mana each time I use an ability. Giving me a total of 1k extra man at the end of it all.

Builds into Manamune:
+20 AD
+350 Mana
+7 mana regen
Unique Passive: 2% mana converted to Attack Damage
Unique Passive: On hit gain +1 max mana, Ability gains 4, Caps at 1k.

Total cost: 2,110 gold (995 for Chalice)

This allows me to attack more physically and goes well with my Q giving me more physical damage and giving me mana on hit as well as casting the minion.

Conclusion:
I can get Chalice earlier than Tear because it's a little cheaper, but in the end, Athenes is more expensive. Which item is better to get on Yorik? Is it situational vs AP, or is one just always better than the other? Leme know what you think

IonDragonX

08-13-2012

The question should probably be in a forum to discuss Yoric because of the way that you phrased it. This isn't really about the differences between the tear and the chalice; more about how to build Yoric.

CynicalSilas

Master Recruiter

08-13-2012

Mainly, i'm comparing the two items. I merely used Yorik as an example because I don't play any other champs that use Tear or Chalice. I'm asking for a comparison between the two items. Only way I could phrase it was to use a champion that I am familiar with.

Comparing the two items, which is better?

Vaaz

08-13-2012

Different champions benefit from one or the other, sometimes both. Yoriks best spell, the one that heals him, is based off attack damage, his ranged aoe nuke is based off of AP. But Yorik builds AD, not sure if AP would be viable.

bob000

08-13-2012

Chalice is clearly better. It solves your mana issues immediately rather than requiring you to charge it. It also gives you mr. Athene's gives like 30 less AP but it also gives you cdr, more mr and it gives you everything upfront.

The Blue Jelly

08-13-2012

I'm with bob. You also have to remember Chalice is regen-based not maximum charge based- when you go oom with a tear, while that takes a while, you're still oom. With a chalice, when you go oom, don't panic, you'll have enough mana for a spell shortly.

CynicalSilas

Master Recruiter

08-13-2012

I do agree with both of you (Bob and Blue jelly) I will try out Chalice, but I'm worried that I will be lacking in my heal, because it is based on AD. Any thoughts on that?

Solus

08-13-2012

Tear into manamune is widely agreed upon as the best item for yorick at least. Chalice is nice but unless you're laning against vlad it's not that necessary. Yorick's ghouls, ult, passive, Q, and E all scale off AD. I'm having trouble seeing this as anything other than a troll or newbie post since it's glaringly obvious, for yorick at least, that manamune is far, FAR superior.

Chalice is a better item for, say, galio or anivia, however.

CynicalSilas

Master Recruiter

08-13-2012

I ALWAYS build Chalice on Galio, it's just a great item all around. The only reason I ask, is because i always build Tear on Yorik, but I've checked out a few Ranked gamed playing Yorik and people are build Chalice into Athenes and I couldn't figure out why. It's not a troll or noob post simply because I don't know why these people are choosing Chalice over Tear, Chalice has the nice MR and CDR but honestly, I like tear because I do constantly go for Blue Buff in top lane, first time I base back I go over to blue snag it up (by the time, if we have a jungler, the second blue is up). They pick Chalice and I'm trying to find out why. I agree with the MR and CDR because it is nice, but it is soooooo expensive for yorik seeing as though he has to build a lot of higher cost items such as Frozen Heart, Randuins (if you need the CC), Triforce for the burst damage, etc. So I'm just trying to understand peoples resigning behind Chalice over Tear.

JRotund

08-14-2012

for yorick - tear->manamune