Is it just me or is Poppy underrated?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jeanschyso

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2012

I'm a poppy enthusiast and I agree with this thread.

Poppy is underrated because she requires your team to play as a team. The bot needs enough zoning ability to prevent the need for a gank, mid must hold his lane, so that the jungler can camp out at top.

I don't know why someone flames for items on poppy.. I don't think there's a single item that's bad on her early....except dagger..

also, max W first because it gives you more speed, armor, and AD. Then max E if AP or Q if AD.

no AD can kill a w-oriented poppy early game when you start with a cloth armor 5 pots.

Giannoulias

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcGS Jeanschyso View Post
I'm a poppy enthusiast and I agree with this thread.

Poppy is underrated because she requires your team to play as a team. The bot needs enough zoning ability to prevent the need for a gank, mid must hold his lane, so that the jungler can camp out at top.

I don't know why someone flames for items on poppy.. I don't think there's a single item that's bad on her early....except dagger..

also, max W first because it gives you more speed, armor, and AD. Then max E if AP or Q if AD.

no AD can kill a w-oriented poppy early game when you start with a cloth armor 5 pots.
Still a noob, so i dont remember the name of them, but i bought the magic penetration shoes on dominion, since i was being AP (sorc's shoes maybe?). I guess they didnt think i could be AP Poppy? Poppy's Q scales off of both AD and AP, and once she buys a Sheen/Trinity Force, Q can knock off a third of someone's health. If she ults on them first, and stuns them, they're dead before they know what happened.

But yeah she really doesnt fit into one of the preset lanes....disappointing :(

Jeanschyso

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2012

Sorcerer's shoes are the boots you're talking about.

in dominion, I tend to go for a sheen right away, then Boots of swiftness (the clown boots +3 speed), then finish a lichbane and then moonflare spellblade or void staff.

thing is you need the tenacity and speed to stay mobile.

edit: if you can build it (don't remember if you can on dominion) build an elesia's miracle instead of moonflare spellblade. gives you a great amount of mana regeneration, which you will really be lacking

Giannoulias

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcGS Jeanschyso View Post
Sorcerer's shoes are the boots you're talking about.

in dominion, I tend to go for a sheen right away, then Boots of swiftness (the clown boots +3 speed), then finish a lichbane and then moonflare spellblade or void staff.

thing is you need the tenacity and speed to stay mobile.

edit: if you can build it (don't remember if you can on dominion) build an elesia's miracle instead of moonflare spellblade. gives you a great amount of mana regeneration, which you will really be lacking
Great suggestions, thanks!

LowlyingLemur

08-13-2012

Doesn't poppy deal a lot of her damage as true damage? Not sure how much sorc shoes help then.

Any tips for farming with poppy on SR? Every time i've tried her i fell so far behind i was useless by midgame.

Giannoulias

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowlyingLemur View Post
Doesn't poppy deal a lot of her damage as true damage? Not sure how much sorc shoes help then.

Any tips for farming with poppy on SR? Every time i've tried her i fell so far behind i was useless by midgame.
Actually, i was surprised to learn that aside from autoattack, all of Poppy's damage is magic damage. Her Q converts next autoattack into magic damage, her E does magic damage, and everything else is autoattack. She benefits from items that give both AD and AP, and she hits harder with her Q on tanks, since it also scales off their max health.

For early farming, id say buy shoes first so you can navigate around for last hits. If you're against an auto-targeter, stay back but try not to let them zone you, and against skill-shotters, just stay mobile. Against melee attackers, E them when they least expect it, then W to make a quick getaway. Or, if you managed to stun with E, toss in a Q before you run away. If you keep doing this, you'll scare them back so you can farm more easily. (I don't recommend this technique against Darius unless you plan on finishing him off, as a good Darius won't let you get away.) Dont be afraid to use your Q to pick up those last hits! Pick up a Sheen right after full boots so you OOM less.

TehomCD

08-13-2012

Here's the link to Zekent/Spamhappy's Poppy guide, the player that only played Poppy to platinum rank:

http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=16923

tacobff

08-13-2012

Poppy's early game is actually not that great and in order for her to be truly terrifying lategame, she needs a near complete build on the order of 5-6 complete items. Thats on the order of an ad carry build, which also needs all that farm and kills to reach that point. Because she's a melee champ its much riskier to have your endgame power piled up on her rather than the ad carry.

There are also more beefier stronger picks like jax who do pretty much what poppy does, but better with less gold and being more tanky at the same time.

retched

08-13-2012

Poppy deals magic through Q and E, but is built primarily as a brusier/assasin (due to the ult). She has some difficulties with ranged champions which is not favorable, but bearable (still going to want a gank or two when possible). However, an Olaf will laugh in your face since your passive does not reduce true damage. Just letting you know that you will need help vs. Olaf, but is otherwise a great top lane champion who gets very strong as the game goes on. I will guess Vayne can put the same pressure on you with silver bolts, but I have only seen that match up once and Poppy got squashed.

Barso55

12-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobff View Post
Poppy's early game is actually not that great and in order for her to be truly terrifying lategame, she needs a near complete build on the order of 5-6 complete items. Thats on the order of an ad carry build, which also needs all that farm and kills to reach that point. Because she's a melee champ its much riskier to have your endgame power piled up on her rather than the ad carry.

There are also more beefier stronger picks like jax who do pretty much what poppy does, but better with less gold and being more tanky at the same time.
all she really needs is a sheen, gunblade, and sensible teammates who ward and know her power for her to crush mid game. her e sheen q does half of pretty much anyones health, gunblade means they are not getting away from another combo for a finish. gg

by the time late game comes she will have what she needs. if it ever comes.