Is it just me or is Poppy underrated?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Giannoulias

08-12-2012

Pretty much the title...when I was looking for champs to play, my friend who recruited me suggested Poppy because she is easy and is also the cheapest champion. I tried her, and wow! She is not only easy to master, but super powerful both early and late game! Why is she one of the least popular champions? Is it because her viability doesnt increase with the skill of the summoner? Or is it just that people don't notice her?

Side note: only twice when i've chosen Poppy have I actually been directly criticized right away: once for my item choice, once for being Poppy at all. Both occasions, I ended up kicking butt all game, getting super fed, and having the enemy immediately run when they saw me even if there were 2 of them (cuz Poppy ult). It made my happy! ^_^

Dewtrocity

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giannoulias View Post
Pretty much the title...when I was looking for champs to play, my friend who recruited me suggested Poppy because she is easy and is also the cheapest champion. I tried her, and wow! She is not only easy to master, but super powerful both early and late game! Why is she one of the least popular champions? Is it because her viability doesnt increase with the skill of the summoner? Or is it just that people don't notice her?

Side note: only twice when i've chosen Poppy have I actually been directly criticized right away: once for my item choice, once for being Poppy at all. Both occasions, I ended up kicking butt all game, getting super fed, and having the enemy immediately run when they saw me even if there were 2 of them (cuz Poppy ult). It made my happy! ^_^
Lol I always love people on low level unranked ques who blast you for making mistakes... it is like they are smurfs or something.

Hidden Dragon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2012

Poppy is a beast mid and especially late game if she's fed. She'll be able to blow up just about anyone thanks to her ult.

The problem is getting fed. She has a really bad laning phase (she gets hard countered by about 80% of the common top laners and a weak early game. She's a good pubstomper since there will always be a few bad people to feed you kills, but good players will complete destroy her in lane so she won't ever reach a lategame build.

chaser676

08-13-2012

Poppy is a problem champ. Her early game is pathetically bad, and she has to get massive farm to reach her crazy strong state. Also, she doesn't really belong anywhere. She's a subpar jungler, a bad top, and an outpoked mid. Can you do well with her? Of course, but anecdotal stories don't really synergize with poppy's low win rates and inherent problems early game. She would be a much stronger pick if she had any kind of sustain.

I Cookeh I

08-13-2012

I think poppy can be really strong but she can be countered with ranged harass but as far as I know she is strong vs. Riven (poppys ult counters rivens ult).

Skullfingr

08-13-2012

I play Poppy as my main. Be careful with her ultimate, as it does not work reliably. Early game laning and feeding can be fixed with cautious play. If you need any tips with her, I'd be happy to help.

BStein

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2012

ya she really is. people tend to look at elementz's tier list and see that she is low on the list and think that she is bad. i will say this right now , you will not be seeing her in any tournaments any time soon but that does not mean she is bad. i forget his name but there is a player in the 2000+ elo who mostly plays poppy so her weaknesses can be over came consistently if played right.

but the most important thing is if you like playing her then play her. who knows the next big thing might be poppy top like it is now with karma mid.

Cfattie

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BStein View Post
2000+ elo who mostly plays poppy.
That guy ONLY plays Poppy (in ranked)

But sadly, I don't remember his name either.

chaser676

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfattie View Post
That guy ONLY plays Poppy (in ranked)

But sadly, I don't remember his name either.
Zekent. His poppy account is spamhappy

Giannoulias

08-13-2012

I was forced to be mid the last game where i was poppy, and the only reason i didnt get harrassed like crazy is that the enemy team was all melee. My favorite technique while laning top or bot (im too low level to consistently get put on team with a good jungle so we still put two top) is to hide in the bushes right at the start, take my first point in E (even though most of the pros recommed W, i dont see why, Poppy's early stun is wayyy OP), and put the enemy in the wall as soon as they wander into the brush. This has gotten me first blood more than a few times - the only times it doesnt work is when my partner runs instead of helping.

Of course, im sure that wont work later, since smart players wont facecheck a bush that might have poppy in it, amirite?