Wriggle's Lantern Falling Out?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AdmiralWin

08-12-2012

Hey guys, I've seen fewer and fewer junglers run with Wriggle's now-a-days. I don't know if it's just me but it seems that jungles tend to rush Philo instead. Is wriggle's out? And why?

BrotherCaine

08-12-2012

2 reasons.

Many people are playing junglers like a second support with wards, oracles and time lost farming to ganks and scouting. This is evident when you see gold income at the end of a protracted game: support with their gold items/masteries/quints are earning more money than the jungle.

The second reason is that early shurelia reveries can turn the tide during the early midgame skirmishes before the 5v5's happen. Win enough of those skirmishes (punch ups over towers, dragons, buffs) and one can win the game.

Homeshake

08-13-2012

yeah, the fact is mainly that most of the junglers are tanks. if your a jungler like sejuani, maphite, shen ect.. its better to build the philo or heart of gold which is tanky and builds into great supportive tank items. wriggles lantern while useful for the ward and armor tends to be generally useless to a full tank.

Raxxlor

08-13-2012

3rd reason,

the jungle is so weak nowadays you only need wiggles to speed up dragon taking/taking dragon solo. It's just become superfluous for junglers, who are already gold tight compared to lanes.

AdmiralWin

08-13-2012

I see, I see. Wriggles has a fairly high gold efficiency though, and if you use the ward every time it's up, it's about 4g/10, just under other GP10s. Also, steal buffs becomes infinitely faster, and of course dragon and baron.

But yeah, I see on tanky junglers, ganking>farming. Not really invading, GP10's more efficient.

All that being said, if you aren't the average tanky jungler, say Shaco, Hecarim, Trundle, Lee Sin, Noc, etc etc, is it still better than rushing gp10s?

3mptylord

08-13-2012

Wriggles Lantern only generates 15 less gold than a gold/10, and is far more useful with respect to clear time and ganking. Anyone buying a gold/10 should stop and buy Wriggle's instead... period. A gold/10 is only more efficient in terms of accessibility (i.e. cost/speed of purchase).

With the pending update of Elisa's Miracle to gain the ward-active, it would be interesting if they made Madred's Razors a gold/10.

Autocthon

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mptylord View Post
Wriggles Lantern only generates 15 less gold than a gold/10, and is far more useful with respect to clear time and ganking. Anyone buying a gold/10 should stop and buy Wriggle's instead... period. A gold/10 is only more efficient in terms of accessibility (i.e. cost/speed of purchase).

With the pending update of Elisa's Miracle to gain the ward-active, it would be interesting if they made Madred's Razors a gold/10.
Except for the fact that many junglers being run are AoE magic damage junglers (Naut/Shy/Mundo/Udyr) where the effect of Wriggle's is greatly dampened. And since many junglers are spending considerably less time farming and more time ganking/scouting the effect of wriggles is even FURTHER dampened. Making the gp10 items more effective especially considering they have GREAT endgame possibilities.

The only time wriggles vs gp10 becomes apparent on many junglers is taking baron early, where the damage proc is a big deal and can mean the difference between taking baron and getting counter baroned.

Though not getting Wriggle's on shy is the greatest sin there is. Double wriggles procs on Q are OP.

IonDragonX

08-13-2012

I don't think that Wriggles will ever disappear, tho it may be less popular now, just like you said.
Its much too useful on Lee Sin and Jax because of the utility a free ward provides. (escapes/over wall ganks)

There is also the question of teamwork. If the team agrees to have two wriggles that are not on the support, the ward coverage becomes really good without cutting into the team gold.

axesandspears

08-13-2012

This kind of goes into the role of a jungler.

Ad junglers are more item dependent than mage/tank/heavy-bruiser junglers,. They both need(ed) defense as well as damage, but the mages, tanks, and heavier bruisers get most of their damage from leveling their abilities rather than from items.

Madred's Razor was required for ad, and because the ad champions required better stats to fight they could not afford to take an early gp10 item--which would have meant sacrificing some damage or defense out of the cost. Wriggle's Lantern was developed to serve as an alternative to the gp10.

GP10 items are the real warding items. Originally they provided the gold for 1 ward every 3 minutes, but when ward prices were lowered they gained a 15 gold profit per ward. There will not and should not be another item with a ward active because the conditions that made Wriggle's Lantern necessary do not repeat for any other champion, and filling the last slot with a useful item is supposed to be a choice that forfeits ones ability to ward. Gp10 items are usually the better choice when the champion can afford to go without Wriggle's and is not counter-jungling.

Wriggle's Lantern obviously isn't needed as much since the jungler is easier. It could be nerfed, but it should remain simply because ad junglers really need a warding item that doesn't involve such a drop in gold efficiency.

rukh263

08-14-2012

Junglers who rely on AP are becoming more and more popular, and since AP junglers have less reason to buy wriggles they get philostone instead. So it isn't so much wriggles itself but the champions who would use wriggles.