Lore idea for the PvP.net client

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThorRush

09-01-2012

Oh, my ... Oug, I thought about that briefly, and the answer I came up with was: take the LoL wiki, make a site map for parts of it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site_map), and stick it in the game client.

... that would be really cool. As a task, you're right, it's pretty intimidating, but like I've said we've seen fans do something similar (... any programmers out there?). I know from experience that initially such a project is extremely time consuming when there's so much material, but maintaining and updating it is much easier.

As for whether there is a benefit for building such a feature now as opposed to later, that depends on what Creative is already working on. Sylph's idea has a really good benefit in the sense that it preserves and gives a visual format to all the relationships fans care so much about. Consider the outcry when Kat's lore was rewritten and General Du Couteau, Sion, and Garen all disappeared.

On the other hand Riot already knows we care about those. If the incoming rewrites are any indication, they are building a foundation for some pretty cool new lore that will show us all about those relationships.

Oug

09-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRush View Post
Oh, my ... Oug, I thought about that briefly, and the answer I came up with was: take the LoL wiki, make a site map for parts of it (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Site_map), and stick it in the game client.

... that would be really cool. As a task, you're right, it's pretty intimidating, but like I've said we've seen fans do something similar (... any programmers out there?). I know from experience that initially such a project is extremely time consuming when there's so much material, but maintaining and updating it is much easier.

As for whether there is a benefit for building such a feature now as opposed to later, that depends on what Creative is already working on. Sylph's idea has a really good benefit in the sense that it preserves and gives a visual format to all the relationships fans care so much about. Consider the outcry when Kat's lore was rewritten and General Du Couteau, Sion, and Garen all disappeared.

On the other hand Riot already knows we care about those. If the incoming rewrites are any indication, they are building a foundation for some pretty cool new lore that will show us all about those relationships.
I guess I'm trying to say that this concept is not appropriate for Riot to spend time/money on just yet, but providing a link to a fan-made creation until such time that the lore is expanded. I am 100% in support of us fans making something like this (maybe putting it on the top of Sylph's lore thread?

Also, keep in mind that any updated lore-delivery systems will require Riot to reprogram their client.

Alterity

10-05-2012

Month old, but oh well. I like the idea

From a programming side, it wouldn't be too difficult to create, depending on how they wanted it designed.

Most of the work would be on the writer side, writing out sufficient details on the relationships.

The main part that might pose a problem: What about relationships that haven't been defined to us yet because they want them to be secretish? Such as Katarina/Garen - Many people think they are lovers, but by their loyalty to their countries they are enemies. Would you put "Lovers"? "Enemies"? "Unknown"?