Janna, When to use Q?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Chamenas

08-12-2012

I just recently picked up Janna whose iconic ability seems to be her Q, the summoned tornado which knocks enemies up in the air. It's an interesting skillshot in that it is VERY hard to land. Not only do you have to aim it, it's on a delay and moves relatively slow as well.

So, my question is this, do you always try to use Q when you think you can land it? aka trying to be predictive, saving its use for only moments when you earnestly believe it will land. OR do you use Q as a pushing tool, using it constantly to push your enemies off of minions, even if you almost never hit them. I noticed Q uses quite a bit of mana, so spamming it doesn't seem quite optimal in that regard.

Bonus Question:
When to hit R? It seems to me that knocking back enemies can be potentially BAD for a lot of teamfight ults that other champions might have. So this definitely seems like an ult you don't want to just use for any team fight. So, when do I use this, or should I just not pick Janna if I know an ally champion needs clumped up enemies?

Cenerae

08-12-2012

Small tip for you, since by the way you're describing her tornados you don't know this...

You can tap Q again to release it before it's fully charged. This makes landing them MUCH easier when you need the CC. And it is a versatile tool, so you can use it for chasing, escaping, farming, anything you want

When to hit R? To reset a teamfight (ie, enemy Amumu bandage tosses in, you press R and knock him and his team away as he hits his ultimate), to knock someone off yourself/your carry, or if you're particularly daring, to knock someone into your team mates after flashing in front of them.

Chamenas

08-12-2012

Oh, I knew about the Q tap, I just haven't run into a lot of situations for it yet. (Only one game under my belt with her). I found that I really need to understand the range from the quick tap a bit better because I tend to overestimate how far it will go >.>

Chamenas

08-12-2012

Does anyone know the respective ranges on a uncharged versus fully charged Q?

Aeternum

08-12-2012

Quote:
Does anyone know the respective ranges on a uncharged versus fully charged Q?
It goes from 1100 (minimum) to 1700 (maximum), increasing every second for three seconds.

http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Janna_the_Storm%27s_Fury/Ability_Details

Velpro

08-12-2012

Your gunna want to mostly use her Q as a quick knockup. If you are chasing someone put your Q down and immediately tap it again. There is a chance it will land (depending on how far they are) and net your team a kill.

Use your R to disrupt the enemy team. I like to push the enemy away if we are grabbing dragon/baron. It is also effective (like someone else said) to push away enemy AoE ults.

Cenerae

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamenas View Post
Oh, I knew about the Q tap, I just haven't run into a lot of situations for it yet. (Only one game under my belt with her). I found that I really need to understand the range from the quick tap a bit better because I tend to overestimate how far it will go >.>
You'll find plenty of situations for it soon enough. Those times when you need CC -now-, which is generally in chases, ganks and teamfights.

The only times you'll want to let them charge up is when farming or harrassing people under their turrets.