Is WoTa worth it on AP mids?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cferens

08-12-2012

Hey everybody, quick question, and please no flaming. I'm inexperienced in this game and am wondering if WoTA is worth it on AP mids. I know that the item got nerfed pretty harshly back then (price increase and reduced spell vamp), so is it worth getting it if you don't have double ap?

Thoughts?

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

08-12-2012

It depends on which AP you're using, but generally WotA is always a good idea, because your Tank, Bruiser, and Support will easily benefit from the Spell Vamp just as much as you do. Not to mention the AP on the aura is feeding into their spells as well.

For example, it's a great item on Cassi, but a terrible one on LeBlanc. Depends on who you're using.

cferens

08-12-2012

OK, but is it viable rushing it nowadays? Will the revolver hold out until late game?

RainbowDashVn

08-12-2012

I use it with Swain, and it's amazing. Ahri works well with it also if you time her passive correctly. But true, it really depends on the champ.

cferens

08-12-2012

Yeah, I just don't know about it anymore. I think it might be better to just pick up a revolver early for the sustain and only upgrade it for limited champs (Vlad, Morde, Swain, etc) and buy other items such as defensive items. Any thoughts on this?

axesandspears

08-12-2012

Depends on the champion and the timing. Will of the Ancients is great, but when you should finish it will vary based on your opponent and the team composition.

Examples:
-Sometimes you might benefit more from a magic resistance item first because the other mage does more damage and puts a healing debuff on you that will weaken the effects of spell vamp (not sure any mages do that, but this is just a theoretical example).
-Sometimes the lane will be a stalemate where neither champion can really kill the other. In that case it is best to pick up Kage's Lucky Pick and possibly some of the other GP10s as a long-term investment.
-Sometimes there will be an annoying ad champion like Talon in the lane, and you need armor+health to survive before anything else.

Yabo9797

08-13-2012

Wota and revolver are not good items on swain. It offers so little and you are severely weakening swain's mid game where he shines. Swain gets beat by burst, which wota/revolver do nothing to solve. Your ult and pots should be more than enough.

Therefore what swain needs is hp/resists and ap. While wota is a great item - especially with certain comps - swain will no longer be able take the burst of small skirmishes and lay down his dots.

There is a reason that ROA is a staple on him, his best typical build will be a ROA > hat or abysall depending on the comps.

Sky Mence

08-13-2012

Honestly, since its been nerfed like 3 times already i find it good at the end of your build (for those that get hextech revolver). Otherwise it kinda interferes with your personal build. Unless you have double ap, its not worth RUSHING, but still worth getting after your core build.

Resent

08-13-2012

2x WOTA on a team can be prettyyyy strong

The Blue Jelly

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resent View Post
2x WOTA on a team can be prettyyyy strong
Entire reason why it was nerfed too ._. when all they really had to do was move some of the vamp into a unique passive >.<

Anyways, as people have said, depends on the mage and how the lane's going. But it's almost never a bad item. Be careful rushing it though. Usually Revolver is enough early on.