Calling roll in champ select means ****!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Somethingjaded

10-15-2012

"Being a good team player begins at champion select. Be open minded when considering the needs of your team. If youíre the last one to pick, try to fill a niche in your team that hasnít already been filled."

This to me seems to heavily imply that, draft order does determine the niche selection, as in, the top pick can do what he likes. Should he consider others? yes. But others listing only one role they are willing to play? they aren't being helpful or giving much for others to work with.

" If everyoneís picked and something stands out as a deficiency in your team composition, try asking for another player to fill the gap, or change roles to embrace that responsibility yourself."

This implies cooperation and communication to fleshing out a complete team.It does not imply a policy of shot one and only thing and expect to do it because your ability to type it first gave you a right to get it.

"Remember, that by taking on a role you donít normally play, youíll learn more about unfamiliar champions and increase your own skill level."

And lastly, the implication people should come into a game with some semblance of a willingness to play and try everything, and to improve one's skills at doing those new things.

Show me what part of the code implies some logical sense that one should just call out a single role they want and be entitled to it, regardless of their draft order.

KnightxSScarlett

10-15-2012

There's a difference between being a team player, and discussing the team comp than just saying, "Alright, last pick, you do whatever we don't pick". If you're HONESTLY trying to tell me that just dumping a role on someone is part of the summoner's code, that is, if the summoner's code encourages YOU (not the last pick) to dump a role, whatever it may be, on someone just because you pick first and you feel like doing whatever, then you are the reason League of Legends has a terrible community, and you are probably part of the reason I /ignore all in every ranked game. If you don't care about the team, then I don't either.

Somethingjaded

10-15-2012

The fact that is the conclusion you took about what I was saying from what I posted above, makes you irrelevant to debate this with, because you are spewing **** I in no way eluded to. I quoted the summoner's code, and I said nothing about it suggests that shouting a single role gives you the god given right to play that role, that is all. Either reread my post, or don't bother telling me what I meant by it.

Rutherfordium

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethingjaded View Post
What really should be implemented, is a PUG style matching system, where people list what role THEY want to play, and get matched with people who arn't going to fight with them over it.
Then what happens if the meta shifts? What happens if some jerk who decides to troll you picks a role that they won't play? In addition, that would stifle any creativity people might have as to what they want to play. It would be discouraging innovation and pretty much forcing people to play by the current metagame.

KnightxSScarlett

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somethingjaded View Post
Either reread my post, or don't bother telling me what I meant by it.
You should take your own advice. I said that nothing in the summoner's code encourages dumping a role on someone. And it doesn't. Your quotes all reference being the big man to fill in the last role. You did not address my statement in the slightest.

The fact is that people are dumping roles onto last pick whether or not last pick likes it. And it is due to this, that I try out interesting lane combinations and setups. If you're gonna be "Trololol, MW you are last pick so you have to support" I will say, "Fine, but I only support mid".

Somethingjaded

10-15-2012

Ruther I find no lack of people who troll pick and go out of their way to ruin the match for their other four team mates as it is, I'd see no way to avoid that regardless of the system used. No one would have to use it, they could randomly que just as they do now, but for those who strictly will only play one role and nothing else, it would benefit everyone of that state of mind to just be grouped together and let them play that way.

KnightxSScarlett

10-15-2012

I'm not disagreeing that there needs to be more pregame teamwork. I'm not even a role caller. I always pick what's needed if my team isn't a dick about it. I actually main support. I have no problem with the roles, a slight problem with the meta, but a big problem with players. This is why I still want to see the following change made to ranked:

Pregame chat time extended - I'd like a full minute before bans even go out for teams to discuss their comes.

With that one change, you could probably get rid of a lot of "role dumping" because people will either dodge or they will work together.

Somethingjaded

10-15-2012

An extension of chat time would be nice before bans as well, though I'd also want it on non ranked draft games too.

amerricka

10-15-2012

Quote:
First pick isn't a privilege, it's a responsibility. You need to grab a neutral pick in a role that your team needs.

Remember you can trade, so if someone wants, say, Jungle Udyr, you can say "Do you have Darius? if you pick Darius for me I'll pick you Udyr." and then you can trade. That will result in them getting a champ they're strong in, you getting a champ you're strong in, and the enemy not counter picking you.

Or you can instalock Darius, and have the enemy team last pick Kayle Top and Jungle Alistar, and you just feed the whole game.
That just defeats the whole purpose of trading if you're just going to go with Darius regardless.

SpiffmeisterZ

10-15-2012

I don't see why the OP is getting so many downvotes for simply stating 'They pick before you, they took what you called, suck it up and move on'

It is a jerk move but they have the ability and the right. You can either deal with it and work as a team and try to win, dodge and just try again later, or troll the hell out of everyone and in the end just drop your ranks lower and lower so you can have fun with the rest of the AFKers and Trolls who did the same **** and enjoy being on the receiving end. Your call.

And this is from someone who learned support purely from getting shoved into doing it, sucked it up, and has wins from doing a role he had no idea how to handle.