I am a...

...Support and I soften creeps. 9 13.85%
...Support and I don't soften creeps. 30 46.15%
...AD Carry and I don't want creeps softened. 22 33.85%
...AD Carry and I want creeps softened. 4 6.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Support: Soften Creeps or No?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ExecutionerKen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2012

As Sona, your Q is always bond to hit at least one enemy champion. If the other one hit a creep, it is fine, but if both hit creeps, it is a huge deal as you make the ad carry's life much more difficult.

and for obvious reason, don't spam Q on minions just to get that passive, i will very much prefer you to stack it with W or E if you have to, pushing the minions are generally a bad idea unless you have a strong turret poke comp.

DerkDerkistan

08-12-2012

Like the above poster said, Sona's Q prioritizes champs (but in a decreased range, I believe. Meaning, if her champion priority range is 500 but her Q's full range is 700, the champ may not get hit if he's between 500 and 700 but absolutely will if closer). I try to let my Q land on two champs where possible or stack it away from the creep wave.

Edit: The range numbers are arbitrary. I didn't bother to look up the actual ranges.

Cenerae

08-12-2012

The only time I soften up creeps is when a big wave hits my tower, where I then try and tap each ranged minion once with my auto so my carry can focus on picking up the gold easier.

Sahbahkja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2012

I think it honestly depends on the champ. If you were playing a support like Sona, then as it is a (mostly) uncontrollable AoE you can't really help it if you soften the lane. Harassing should be your top priority, but be mindful of the creeps when you do so.

Supports should never soften creeps. As others have said, it pushes the lane and may mess up the ADC's timing for last hitting.

There are however two notable exceptions to this rule: Nunu and Taric. Both of these champs require occasional last hitting to be as effective as possible (especially Nunu, as he runs out of mana very quickly) so in those cases I just hit a different full hp minion each time.

Lord Puppy Fury

08-12-2012

Yeah, the only time I'll touch the creeps as the support is if I'm Nunu and I need to nom a minion. Even then, I'll try to target a full heath one if I can get it.

VoiceOfUnreason

08-12-2012

When the caster creeps are in tower range, I try to prep them with a single auto attack each.

If the enemy wave is past the half way point in the river, and pushing, I'll soften the healthiest creeps with auto attacks to take momentum out of the push unless for whatever reason we want it to reach the tower.

And of course I clobber a creep when my Q goes off in a random direction.

The common mistake I make is losing track of power chord, which is a lot more damage than I intend.

powwder

08-12-2012

The only time I will soften creeps is if we are under our tower and its necessary for the adc to get the last hit. For example if 1 tower hit Plus 1 hit from adc can't kill a ranged minion I will hit it once

XCodes

08-12-2012

EVERYTHING is situational, including auto-attacking. Let's say I'm a support Nunu.

If there's 4+ caster minions in the enemy creep wave, then I will auto-attack high-health melee minions in such a way that two don't die at the same time. This is because the wave is *naturally* being pushed towards our tower, and stopping it before it gets there means less lost CS for my ADC.

If our minions are cleared and there are still enemy minions in the lane, I will attack high-health melee minions outside of tower range and freeze the lane/tank minion damage for my ADC, if possible.

If I've taken some damage and we're not worried about pushing lane, I will nom full-health Cannon minions. If I've taken some damage and we are worried about pushing lane, I will nom low-health Caster minions (if there's time, I might see about noming a jungle creep, but at that point I'm probably better off just blue-pilling).

Even if we don't want to push, if I see that two minions are going to die at once, I will use an auto-attack to break up the times of their deaths. Doesn't happen often.

If we're under tower, I will give each full-health caster minion an auto-attack to help my ADC farm.

If we're under tower, I will autoattack a cannon minion until it's life is low enough that the ADC will last hit it after another tower shot or two to minimize tower damage.

If we want to push, I will still spread out my autoattacks such that two minions don't die at once.

If, in spite of my best efforts, two minions are going to die at once, then I will last-hit the one further from my ADC so that *someone* gets the gold.

With regard to noming minions, I will nom full-health cannon minions if we're not worried about the hard push this is going to cause. Otherwise, I will nom low-health caster minions. If the ADC doesn't like either of these solutions, he should have just told me at champ select to not play Nunu.

Good ADCs probably have had at least some practice in Solo QQ dealing with mentally-deficient supports that mindlessly auto-attack minions, and learned to last-hit around them. As such, auto-attacking with the purpose of making the ADC's job easier should not mess with their "rhythm." If it does, then I, personally, wouldn't play with that ADC anymore.

EDIT: This assumes, of course, that you don't have more important things to do like warding, fighting for bush control, or setting up an enemy champ for your ADC to kill them.

Etherimp

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephringael View Post
Don't care if my AD carry misses a single minion because I am harassing the enemy team.

My harass keeps them reluctant to get close, or set them at enough health for an easy kill.

Oh, boohoo, you missed 27 gold one single time? I miss out on 75 gold every minute and thirty seconds because I care about our well being. Also, STFU and pay attention, hit that champion to death, I just stunned it. Look, you got a kill. See? I harrassed, CCed, got them softened up for you. All you had to do was chase and AA them a few times. That sets you at 273 gold above that one minion I accidentally hit.

I also plan to buy Stark's for you, you ungrateful *******. Relax, and stop harrassing me. The enemy team will be doing enough of that mid and late game.

Be nice, and I will carry you to the point that you can carry the rest of the team. Verbally attack me and I wont trust you. If I don't trust you, guess where I will be in teamfights? Thats right, behind the AP carry with a delicious WoTA.

Remember, AD carries. Your support is like your significant other. Call them names, abuse them, and act purely out of your own intrests? Eventually they will leave you to go 'see other people' who treat them a bit better.

Someone is bitter.

acosn

08-12-2012

There's almost never a good reason to blindly push out your lane for no good reason.

Making the enemy team come to you- even if it just means they're at the "mid" point for the bottom lane- is an advantage that far exceeds marginally faster CS.

If the hyper aggressive korean meta takes off it'll be a different story, but I don't see that happening.