Help Picking AP Mid.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Lakers

08-11-2012

I've been looking for an AP Mid for ages now, cause I honestly wanna try something new. Anyway I've cut my list down to this:
Anivia
Brand
Cassiopeia
Kennen
Ryze
I want a champion that deals a lot of damage, whether that be DPS or burst, and racks up a lot of kills. I'm going to be solo-queuing a lot, maybe from time to time with friends, so I'm going to need to carry a lot. I understand that a champion is only as good as the player behind it, but its hard not to say that some champions' kits are more suited for slaying than others.
Anyway, give me some suggestions. You can, of course, suggest a mage not on this list, and I'll look into it.
Thanks in advance!

MiC Røsøft

08-11-2012

I would choose Cassiopeia. She has arguably one of the strongest laning phases and doesn't have a real "counter", only champions that can break even against her. After playing her a bit I feel like she can pressure right from the start and really punish her opponents for getting poisoned.

Fndrr22dxd

08-11-2012

Ryze is a very solid choice, as he has the ability to be very bulky and dish out a large amount of sustained burst. He has solid guaranteed utility via his targeted snare, and pretty much revolves around a similar item build every single game. His skill cap is a tad lower than other champions such as Anivia, but he only costs 475 ip so it's not too big of a deal if you regret it . Good luck.

Essieu

08-12-2012

Any of those are strong solo que picks. But heres some notes on them.

Anivia-Takes a LONG time to learn and play properly, theres a reason theres truly only one pro who plays her consistently, theres also a reason its always banned against him. She is very very very strong once learned. But it will be a long frustrating process. And isnt best solo que champ because of blue reliance.

Brand- Simple, straight forward, high damage with some CC. And a FAT ulti if people arent playing attention. Only problem, he pushes rather easily but has no escape ability, which makes him susceptible to ganks. On the upside in solo que when people arent anticipating your ulti, you can get a lot of kills just because people dont know to separate.

Cassiopeia-One of the few "DPS" AP's in my opinion, has strong up front burst, strong sustained damage, and once again, isnt really weak anywhere. Unfortunately, a lot of people dont play her well consistently and she can be another tough to master champion. For some reason her mechanics just dont seem to sit well with people and thus she doesnt get played a lot. I dont play her so I cant say much more in confidence.

Kennen-Someone I carried myself through many games with, the AoE CC and damage coupled with his really safe lane phase makes him a very strong pick in my opinion. The only reason he isnt super popular is, slows, snares, stuns somewhat counter the effectiveness of his ulti and without that, he's useless. He's relatively easy to pick up and play well, also very versatile and can add to your arsenal of top champions. Very strong in solo que specifically because of the afore mentioned CC, no blue dependency, strong farming tools, and safe lane phase.

Ryze- Very strong, very very very strong. One of the best late game carries because you essentially build defensive items to scale your damage, with a RoA and Void staff/WotA thrown in. Problems are that he is rather blue dependent, has weak farm mechanics without blue, and has a rather weak early-mid game transition. But is super strong late game and awesome for solo que carrying.

Hope I helped. Just my experience with said champions.

matthewlikesboys

08-12-2012

I would suggest anni, even though late game she does kinda soften up, but if you build health ie Roa-Sherylyas then go into 30%+ cd reduction, you will still roll kids.

She is incredibly strong and with a passive stun, I mean, how many ap champions actually have a stun, and an aoe stun at that.

boots+pots>roa
Then depending on how well your doing you can go 1600 AP rod or if you feel like your dieing to soon, get a giants belt and then grab some cd reduction.

My endgame build looks like this

Magic Pen Boots > RoA > Sherlias > Deathcap > chalice > cd reduction item

Fargo79

08-12-2012

for mid champs easier of them to play would be champs like Morgana and Lux.. if u can master 1 then u can master the other.. very similar playing style.. but all in all Cass is a great champ to learn.. like said above she isnt seen very often cause she is tough to play... most people who dont see her will underestimate her poison damage... she is great for lanign against champs like Morde.. her poison takes his shield down fast and doesnt let him build it up that quick.. she is slow in movement and unlike Morg and Lux she doesnt have a snare to stop enemies from ganks... very low CD on her abilities... and her passive give mana consumption discounts up to 50%.. the only champs that counter her huge are gap closing champs with slience.. like Talon, Kass, and LeBlanc.. but they are also squishy during laning phase.. get yer sorc boots, revolver, and catylist and u should have enough sustain to hold off almost anyone once yer lvl 6..