Volibear strategy

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Withoutacause

08-11-2012

Ive had volibear for a long enough time to understand how and when to use his abilities but want to learn more please help.

GaafGrohiik

08-12-2012

I'm pretty new to LoL myself - but Volibear is my favorite champ so far.

It may not be much help but I usually start building Warmog's armor immediately. Regrowth Pendant + HP pot, then lane. W, E, Q, W, W, R til 6 than max R, W, E, Q in that order. I've had a good bit of success with that so far, but again, I'm still a newbie. As far as items after Warmog's, I go for a kindle gem and anything that gives health. Usually around 14-15 I start getting AD/Atk Spd stuff. W is your bread and butter. Timing your Q can toss enemies into really bad spots, and your W does a ton of damage. If you see 2 bars left on them, use your W bite and watch them die.

It's not much but I hope it helps.

GaafGrohiik

08-12-2012

Also if you run into other semi-tanky enemies like Darius or Tryndamere, Thornmail is totally worth it.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaafGrohiik View Post
I'm pretty new to LoL myself - but Volibear is my favorite champ so far.

It may not be much help but I usually start building Warmog's armor immediately. Regrowth Pendant + HP pot, then lane. W, E, Q, W, W, R til 6 than max R, W, E, Q in that order. I've had a good bit of success with that so far, but again, I'm still a newbie. As far as items after Warmog's, I go for a kindle gem and anything that gives health. Usually around 14-15 I start getting AD/Atk Spd stuff. W is your bread and butter. Timing your Q can toss enemies into really bad spots, and your W does a ton of damage. If you see 2 bars left on them, use your W bite and watch them die.

It's not much but I hope it helps.
This is pretty much my strategy, except I start with Ruby Crystal rather than Regrowth Pendant.

I try to buy boots 1 and regrowth pendant on first B, and Giant's Belt on next B (although sometimes I flip this, just depends).

What boots I buy depends on what the enemy lets me get away with. I love getting boots 3 (and the enemy hates it), but often times I end up getting Mercury's treads.

I typically avoid Thornmail unless I'm going up against attack speed champions like Master Yi, Ashe, Tryndamere, etc. Typically, I'll build boots and warmog's first. After that, what I build depends on what I'm up against. I try getting Spirit Visage for help on the health regen, health, MR, and cooldown reduction (builds out of Kindle Gem, a suggested item, etc). But I also try to build as many Warmog's as the enemy will let me (I've had 4 before).

I always pick W at level 1, 4, 5. Whether I take Q or E first really depends on what I'm up against, or, if I'm laning with someone, who I'm laning with. For example, I laned with an Ashe the other day. Rather than taking my E (since Ashe can slow and I had exhaust), I took my Q at level 2 (then followed up with E at 3). Either way, level 1-3 is always W-E-Q or W-Q-E. Then you just level with this priority in mind: R>W>E>Q. You only need one point in Q.

And I know a lot of people don't like Atma's Impaler any more, but if I have at least two Warmog's armors completed, I'll look at building one.

Some general gameplay tips though? When it comes to the Q, if I can avoid it, I won't use it to initiate. Obviously a lot of the times you have to, just to catch them before they run away in terror, but if I can, for example, position myself to attack them from the angle they'd use to escape, I'll run in, E, attack, wait till they're out of melee range, then Q, followed by another E, and then W usually finishes them off.

Also, keep in mind, using your W's active doesn't reset the attack speed buff on the passive. You still maintain the 3 stacks buffing your attack speed. Don't be afraid to eat a minion that's hitting you while you're attacking a turret.

Kyzrathnosh

08-12-2012

I play him as an Atmog Jungletank. He can wreck the jungle **** fast if you get some decent AS (not a lot, focus on Atmogging, PDancer is -not- an option but Wit's End is) and feel free to munch on everything that gets in your way. He's fun!

CubeShroom

08-12-2012

volibear counters some of the best tops, vladimir, kennen olaf, rumble

AJStarhiker

08-12-2012

What about Ionic Spark? Is that a good item to grab, situational, or not ideal?

PogoPogoPogoPogo

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJStarhiker View Post
What about Ionic Spark? Is that a good item to grab, situational, or not ideal?
I don't like Ionic Spark. I just don't ever build anything with attack speed on Volibear. And if you want Ionic Spark's passive, just activate Volibear's ultimate. You can build some AP/health items.

For example, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, it'll give you twice as much health as Ionic Spark, AND when you activate your ultimate, you'll be slowing everyone getting hit by it. For reference, Volibear's ultimate scales to 30% of your ability power, so Rylai's will give you an extra 24 damage on that (plus 48 extra damage on your E).

I think if you are going to build Ionic Spark, you'd need to think about building Frozen Mallet as well. It's more health than Rylai's, the attack damage benefits from the attack speed boost from Ionic Spark, and the slow hits harder than Rylai's.

Honestly though, it's just easier to build straight health/tank items, let your W eat people up. The cooldown on your ultimate is short enough that it's available for basically every team fight, plus the occasional farming up of a big minion wave.

AJStarhiker

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PogoPogoPogoPogo View Post
I don't like Ionic Spark. I just don't ever build anything with attack speed on Volibear. And if you want Ionic Spark's passive, just activate Volibear's ultimate. You can build some AP/health items.

For example, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, it'll give you twice as much health as Ionic Spark, AND when you activate your ultimate, you'll be slowing everyone getting hit by it. For reference, Volibear's ultimate scales to 30% of your ability power, so Rylai's will give you an extra 24 damage on that (plus 48 extra damage on your E).

I think if you are going to build Ionic Spark, you'd need to think about building Frozen Mallet as well. It's more health than Rylai's, the attack damage benefits from the attack speed boost from Ionic Spark, and the slow hits harder than Rylai's.

Honestly though, it's just easier to build straight health/tank items, let your W eat people up. The cooldown on your ultimate is short enough that it's available for basically every team fight, plus the occasional farming up of a big minion wave.
K, thanks. I kind of figured there were better options, I'm just new enough with Voli, I wanted to check.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

08-12-2012

Basically, build as many warmogs as the enemy team will let you. Boots 3 if they let you, but Mercury's Tread if they have a lot of AP or CC. After boots, build your first warmogs (though you should have part of warmogs before you upgrade boots).

Like typically, I start Ruby Crystal, then go boots 1 and regrowth on first B, and try to get boots 2 and giant's belt on second B. If I can, I'll get boots 1 and giant's belt on first B though, as I prefer to get Regrowth pendant last.

Once you complete your first Warmogs, just take a look at what's going on. Are they AD heavy? AP heavy? A good mix? Are they even killing you? Are they attacking you even?

If you haven't even come close to dying once you complete your first Warmogs, start working on another. If you build enough health, your W will do close to 1k damage.