Why does riot hate supports?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlphariusRising

08-11-2012

Hecarim: Melee Jungler
Varus: AD carry/Mid
Darius: Bruiser
Draven: AD carry
Jayce: Bruiser/AD carry
Zyra: Mid/possible jungle
Diana: Mid/possible jungle
And now Predat- I mean, Ragnar: Bruiser/possible Jungle.

So far that's 8 patches, with 3 mid champions, 4 possible junglers, 3 ad carries, 3 bruisers, and not a single viable support.

There has been one support champion released in all of season 2, and that's Lulu. I like Lulu. Good champ, but Support is the least populated of all the champion roles.

Now, you can technically play any champion as a support, but a support champion isn't just someone who can buy Gp5s and wards and babysit an AD carry, a support champion is someone that can go into multiple roles, but have their kit be focused, or at least strong, at buffing allies.

So why does riot hate supports?

Rince Me On

08-11-2012

As someone who likes playing support: I agree with this, I would love to see more support champions.

Not like Soraka though...

Natneyi

08-11-2012

So, so very much agreed. And before Lulu, I can't even remember when the last support was... ages before that was Leona, but she isn't even tagged support according to Riot. Neither is Orianna.

SilkyRain1998

08-11-2012

i know why they do this its due to the fact support champs make less cash for them

DonnFirinne

08-11-2012

I view a support as someone who can provide aid to their allies. For some this is specifically buffing their allies (Soraka specifically) but for others it can be something else. Blitz is not uncommon as support in the games I play, and he is useful for initiating and peeling. I personally play a mean Nautilus support, and his kit has no ally buffs. I just initiate and lock down enemies for my AD or peel in bad situations. You're too focused on a specific support type to see the possibilities that exist. Ashe could be a great support. She has a permaslow, a great initiate, and a CV. No buffs for her allies, but I bet support Ashe could rack up the assists, just like Blitz, Naut, and Leona.

TL;DR:
Don't think of support as a buffboy, think of him as a sidekick. If he helps whoever he's supporting to their job better, he is a good support.

darlegion

08-11-2012

I know ashe is a AD cary for most games but her slow hitting arrow on running away champs do help support the real AD caryy but i love support but dont play it unless a bot match due to the massive flaming one gets

MeinUguu

08-11-2012

Riot hates anything that makes sense or fun.

WhoopsiGoldburg

08-11-2012

A support doesn't always need to be a tagged support.

Going for a kill lane with a bruiser can work fairly well. I play support jarvan alot and once I get my philo I can throw up harass about ever 8 seconds with a chance of knocking them up for a kill or a btb. I can zone very well when I maintain bush control. Usually win lane against most match ups early. Then roam and counterjungle and ward while the lanes pushed.

I've also had a lot of success playing support poppy. It's not that hard to land your e at bot lane. One full e q combo after a few levels will usually leave them stunned with about 2 auto attacks worth of health left. Until those carries start steam rolling and pick up some over there core build I can usually e to a minion and q aa for more than they can trade back. I try and get my level 1 boots philo and hog by around 10-12 minutes and sheen by around 18:00. Usually getting my triforce at 30 minutes.

It's all about how you play and who you play really.

LVLfaze

08-11-2012

dood, you can play darius as support...hes just a ks support.

DOH!

AlphariusRising

08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoopsiGoldburg View Post
A support doesn't always need to be a tagged support.

Going for a kill lane with a bruiser can work fairly well. I play support jarvan alot and once I get my philo I can throw up harass about ever 8 seconds with a chance of knocking them up for a kill or a btb. I can zone very well when I maintain bush control. Usually win lane against most match ups early. Then roam and counterjungle and ward while the lanes pushed.

I've also had a lot of success playing support poppy. It's not that hard to land your e at bot lane. One full e q combo after a few levels will usually leave them stunned with about 2 auto attacks worth of health left. Until those carries start steam rolling and pick up some over there core build I can usually e to a minion and q aa for more than they can trade back. I try and get my level 1 boots philo and hog by around 10-12 minutes and sheen by around 18:00. Usually getting my triforce at 30 minutes.

It's all about how you play and who you play really.
I specifically said:

"Now, you can technically play any champion as a support, but a support champion isn't just someone who can buy Gp5s and wards and babysit an AD carry, a support champion is someone that can go into multiple roles, but have their kit be focused, or at least strong, at buffing allies."

That's what people don't get I guess. Blitz is extremely strong at the duo bot lane role, but he doesn't have a kit that buffs an ally, and that's what I want, and what Riot hasn't released at all. I like Lulu cuz she can go mid, top, or duo bot, and her kit makes her strong in those roles, but in teamfights she is a force multiplier for her allies.

The same is true of Janna, Soraka, and Taric (you dont see Taric doing much else but babysit, but he can jungle)

Kayle and Zilean are almost never seen as babysitters, but they're very strong supports because they offer buffs. Lifesaving ones. Zilean's speed buff and ult are so strong, and he's a great zone champ mid. Kayle's Heal, Speed Buff, and Ult are similarly stronk, and she's a great top champ against people that like to be aggressive, and people with finishers.

Tagged supports a lot of the time aren't even supports. Teemo is not a support, he has nothing that buffs his team except his stupid mushrooms that everyone hates.

Even dedicated babysitting champs like Sona aren't just support because they sit bot, they're support because they provide Auras, buffs, and heals to their allies.

tl;dr support != babysitter. Support = Force Multiplier.