Questioning the role of support in ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EyeHearShapes

08-10-2012

Why would i lower my team dmg out put for a support champ .i understand a support champ like Soraka who can really assist a allied champ with heals and mana but supports cant 1v1 anyone , support have small dmg usually , a support that misses a cc has a long cd , why sheild a friendly champ when i can melt the champ doing the dmg . Curious what community thinks feel free to post.

Celty88

08-10-2012

because supports have a lot of utility and require no farm?

"melting the champ doing damage" would require farm.

LAMlRP

08-10-2012

Supports are there to do exactly what the title role says, To support you're adc in lane. You offer sustain for the adc, cc, heals, etc. (Depending on the support champion of course) I know you didnt say this but if a support was to farm, you'd cut the cs of the adc in half, or however much. Really hurting the adc in that lane and even later in game.

But even as a support, when the adc is attacking an enemy, you should be too...just dont get that last hit :P

Flagrock

08-10-2012

"Supports" are basically champs that need low amounts of gold to be strong. They bring the utility to the team. Alistar, Leona, Nunu, etc. are tanky supports that provide a tank to the team comp and people to initiate. Soraka, Janna, Sona, etc. bring sustain and helpful buffs to provide your adc in lane making the laning phase easier. If your adc has good laning, then they can go into late game and team fights well winning the game.
Supports are there to get your adc fed and make sure they can carry the team in late game. Also, supports like Alistar provide the tankiness most teams want late game.

AlphariusRising

08-10-2012

You need farm to do damage. If you're duo laning and taking farm you're both being to be behind, whereas the enemy ADC will be farmed and their support will be able to CC, buff, Heal, and have money left over for wards, which gives them a stronger lane and stronger teamfights.

I'd rather have a Janna with 2 GP5s, boots, and an aegis + a warded map with a farmed Ashe than two underfarmed AD carries, an unwarded map, and no aura items.

EyeHearShapes

08-10-2012

Ap champs from what i know scale with there lvl more then there items so in theory a ap champ ( only some ) would be able to lane with an adc without taking farm and still do reasonable dmg or at least more then support champs. Late game its fair to say that everyone is collecting farm including the champ that was at one point laning with the adc the only problem is the support champs does not have the capability to carry well say not the best example veiger could deal massive amounts of dmg. In my reasoning id see that the ap champ would intially support the adc not csing and trading items for wards or buying GP5 items but late game going for a more aggressive build

JRiMi

08-10-2012

I was watching a 2k elo stream where he said support probably shouldn't be played below 1200 maybe even 1500. So if your low elo I understand your logic. But idk I still like having a support in my terrible elo

AlphariusRising

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeHearShapes View Post
Ap champs from what i know scale with there lvl more then there items so in theory a ap champ ( only some ) would be able to lane with an adc without taking farm and still do reasonable dmg or at least more then support champs. Late game its fair to say that everyone is collecting farm including the champ that was at one point laning with the adc the only problem is the support champs does not have the capability to carry well say not the best example veiger could deal massive amounts of dmg. In my reasoning id see that the ap champ would intially support the adc not csing and trading items for wards or buying GP5 items but late game going for a more aggressive build
"Reasonable Damage" = "Mediocre damage" with no tankiness.

You're using veigar as your example? The AD carry that needs the most farm?
He's going to get his build way, way, WAY later than a mid veigar, furthermore, the fact that he's garbage early game means that you're going to lose lane. If you grab farm later, you're stealing it from your carries.

Furthermore, using Janna and Soraka as examples, not only are they going to dominate your lane given equal skill for all parties, but late game, when everyone but the support has full builds, they're going to be contributing more to teamfights.
Soraka offers 110 free armor, 16 free MR + two amazing heals, a debuff, and a silence.
Janna offers 2 forms of hard CC, a slow, a good AOE heal, and a shield that's a free BF sword for your AD carry.
Both offer aura items, shurelya's, and wards.

Veigar offers one form of hard CC and average damage. If he offers wards, aura items, and shurelya's, then he offers damage comparable to Janna and Soraka, with none of the utility.

Then there's Alistar, who offers preposterous CC, a spammable heal in-lane, and preposterous tankiness.

And Leona who has like infinite CC.

And Lulu who can actually do damage, has one amazing CC, and can turn a Jax or something from "6-item destroyer of worlds" to "Did I just 1-shot your whole team and your nexus in one hit?"

EyeHearShapes

08-10-2012

Well for another example lets try fiddle support, for cc he has a great fear and an aoe silence . For his own sustain he has drain he require less items to scale versus soraka and he has a good debuff. I'm not saying this meta would be better im just trying to open up ppl to a different way of playing .

Flagrock

08-10-2012

Fiddles is a bad support. To do your silence it'll hurt/take cs. If you EVER play an adc you will know how important a good support like soraka is. If you have ever tried to face a adc/support combo against a non "meta" combo like ryze/adc you're going to be destroyed. You will push too hard and be ganked, or you'll not kill them they'll outfarm you then their adc will win. Supports win bot lane early game.