Running Garen Numbers on PBE

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dangarembga

08-11-2012

If you want Garen to be viable, bring sunfire-stacking back!

KesslerCOIL

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-11-2012

The new garen deals more damage overall.
There are only 2 problems i have with him though.

Firstly, the duration of Decisive Strikes Speed Buff is too short early game. You get kited easily by ANYONE who has any ranged skills.

Secondly, While 20% increase to resistances is nice, it makes AD Garen much less viable with its shorter duration early/mid game and reduced resist gain. This pretty much forces garen to build Off-Tank or Bruiser(which Riot said they didnt want more of)

Chaz5

08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagNZ View Post

Firstly, the duration of Decisive Strikes Speed Buff is too short early game. You get kited easily by ANYONE who has any ranged skills.

Secondly, While 20% increase to resistances is nice, it makes AD Garen much less viable with its shorter duration early/mid game and reduced resist gain. This pretty much forces garen to build Off-Tank or Bruiser(which Riot said they didnt want more of)
This. If you going to make it a % thing make it a flat damage reduction percent instead of based off his armor and magic resist. Now more people are more likely to try to tank with Garen. He is not a tank, he has never been a tank and he was never supposed to be.

Also Garen is already pretty slow, the new changes don't look like they will help this much at all. Thoughts?

zepp300

08-11-2012

As a Garen player those changes are terrible. i just cant even describe how terrible this is, i have almost 1k games with garen and i really hate the changes.

And another thing..please dont rework or think on reworking others champions like that, calling it a buff and becaming a nerf.

Im just disapointed..will add some numbers later.

Chaz5

08-12-2012

Seems to me that Garen's Late game E was nerfed. I mean if they want a better late game wouldn't it be better to just increase the bonus AD ratios rather than nerf the scaling and allow it to be full ad? I am pretty sure there is a point where everyone would would prefer better scaling over full ad anytime.

I mean here is just a simple example (not a real build just an example folks and this is not including crits):

6 infinity edges = 480 AD

Pre-patch Garen:

Now with normal garen and his 1.4 bonus ratio that is 672 bonus damage fed into judgement; which has a base damage value of 210 at level 5. This brings judgement to a total of 882 damage.

Now lets check out

Post patch Garen:

111 base damage at level 18 + the 480 from the Infinity edges = 591

Now we factor in the 1.1 ratio

650.1 additonal damage fed into judgement plus the 120 (really?) base damage of judgement at level 5, bringing it to a grand total of 770.1 damage.

The results

Pre-patch Garen total damage output: 882 per second

Post patch Garen total damage output: 770.1 damage per second.

Now I am really tired here so feel free to point out any math mistakes I made on this.

also i would much prefer original courage passive. The original made you tanky without having to purchase one tank item, now the new passive encourages people to play garen as a tank. Which he is not. Now he needs 125 armor and magic resist just to reach the same as his previous bonus

Killrazor

08-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangarembga View Post
If you want Garen to be viable, bring sunfire-stacking back!
hahaha.. that was awesome... garen and sunfre stacking was crazy, was also amazing on rammus....

CryinOnionKnight

08-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xypherous View Post
I know Garen can get kited - I completely acknowledge your point in this case.

I'm working on anti-kite melee itemization in general. We'll see the first results post Season 2 finals.
I always thought randuins was THE anit-kiting item. What do you have in mind outside of randuins if you don't mind sharing?