Beginners guide to draft and Team comps

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enter Tragedy

08-10-2012

Version 1.1

(This post started out as a beginners guide to draft but went into a lot about team comps too. If you have any other advice post and I will update the OP. lets teach people how to play the game instead of flaming them for not knowing.)

these are some tips on how to draft optimally. I see this done so wrong it almost makes me sick.

BANS:

Most people use the cookie-cutter FOTM OPs in order to ban. While this is not always bad it is not always good. Generally for solo Q you should ban champs that are hard to counter-play(yorick) or that snow ball insanely hard(mitigates your team feeding a bit)

Often times you should ban hard cc because your carries will get caught and then your damage output drops so much. Ali is the poster child for this type of ban.

Some Typical Bans at low mid elo are Kassadin, amumu, Alistar, darius, Morgana, Blitzcrank.

HOW TO PICK:

Generally speaking you want the last two picks to be top and mid often in that order. In solo Q often times people lack the champions or the coordination to trade. Often times everyone calls top or mid. You really should only call roles that your best at and only if your in the proper spot(order wise) for that role.

Generally jungler, adc, and support are the best to pick early. Often times it is best to pick your support and adc in tandem especially if the adc is only really good with certain supports or the person who is going to play support only has limited champs that work with certain carries. Getting your support of choice counter picked when your trying to use less versatile carries.(or vise versa)

TEAM COMP:

generally speaking in the current meta(aka the best set up to have been discovered) we have a support, adc, solo mid(usually ap), jungler, and solo top.

ADC: Auto attack champ that scales hard with items. Always Bottom lane with support who protects or helps to feed the adc.

Solid Picks
corki, ez, ashe, graves

Support: Supports the ADC with shields, heals, or CC. Supports the team with aura items, aura passives, map control(wards,oracles) builds gold per 5 items t make up for lack of cs since you give that to your teammates most of the time. Runes and masteries also help with cash flow.

Solid Picks
Soraka, Leona, blitzcrank, Sona, Taric

Jungler: most people understand the concept. Your job is to apply pressure to all lanes with ganks, and to support your laners. This is often achieved by handing our buffs, and covering their lane if they die or have to back. You get most of your cash flow from jungler creeps, and ganks(whether it be assist or kills) You are also responsible for calling the shots during the laning phase as far as map objectives go.. You should also help ward these objectives and keep your buffs and jungle warded in key spots.

Solid Jungle carries/Tanky DPS
Nocturne, Warwick, Jax, Kayle, master yi, Shyvana, Lee sin(high skill cap)

Solid Tanky/Support Junglers
Alistar, Maokai, Nautilus, hecarim, udyr Shen

Solo top: This is mostly a 1v1 lane so you need a champ that can duel well. Often times they have great escape abilities(ie kenen) or are tanky(ie Malphite) which helps survive ganks from the jungler because this is often times the most ganked lane.

This pick depends on jungler. If you have a tank jungler you can pick a bruiser or AP champ. If not then your the teams tank. This does not mean that you can't build any damage. You need to be tanky, but really tank in this game is someone who peels for carries and usually initiates team fights.(which means your the first in. if you're too squishy then you won't be alive to peel or to soak up enough cc+damage) You should try to counter pick when possible

Solid Picks
Riven, Malphite, Jax, Volibear, Vlad

Advanced picks(or niche)
Kennen, teemo, Lee sin, Nunu, Darius, Singed

Solo Mid: These are mostly ap champs or assassins(comp dependent). The reason these are here is because they scale best off of levels(why they are solo), and they usually can't escape real well. Mid is harder to gank because the short length of the lane between outer towers. Your main job is to burst down the other teams carries.(ad first then ap) Try to counter pick when possible.

Solid picks
Karthus, Ahri, Vlad, Galio.

Advanced Picks
Ryze, Twisted fate, Anivia, Kennen

IDEAL TEAM COMPS

Standard(this is prolly best in solo q. Gives a good mix of ap/ad DPS and tankiness)
1 tank, 1 tanky dps, 1 ap carry, 1 ad carry, 1 support

Dbl Ap comp(usually with tons of ap aoe damage, good for team fights, squishy though)
1 tank jungler, 1 Ap carry top, 1 ap carry mid, 1 adc, 1 support

Tanky Comp(heavy team fight comp, sometimes lacks damage)
1 tank jungler, 1 tank top, 1 ap carry, 1 ad carry, 1 support

Assassin Comp( uses talon or champs of that nature to counter opponents mid pick. Also squishy)
1 tank jungler, 1 ap carry top, ad assassin mid, 1 adc, 1 support

This is still a work in progress. Bump with suggestions, well thought out criticisms, ect. If this gets tons of positive reception and upvotes I will make a more in depth guide and post a link above. Thank you good luck have fun.

AlphariusRising

08-10-2012

I disagree with you listing top picks in this, because those come and go with patches, meta shifts, and new champions. You will have to update a lot, or it will become outdated.

I suggest you go more in depth with it too:

You also don't mention that you send APs mid because they can take blue buff easier no matter which team they're on. That's big. Buff control is a big part of why you send certain champs in certain lanes.

You also don't mention dragon control, or lane switching. Sometimes the bot lane will go top to shut down a farm-dependant bruiser, if you have a strong 2v1 solo champion you could send bot. An example of that would be Mordekaiser or Vlad.

You also don't mention AP or assassin jungle. Poppy Jungle is a thing, and Amumu Jungle is a top pick in the current patch. There's also fiddlesticks if you classify amumu as a tank rather than a caster. And now Diana jungle, that's an AP assassin.

Akali Top is a common pick, but you make it sound like you have to be a tank, caster, or tanky DPS.

If I sound like I'm hating it's because it's late. This is a good guide for newbies.

Enter Tragedy

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphariusRising View Post
I disagree with you listing top picks in this, because those come and go with patches, meta shifts, and new champions. You will have to update a lot, or it will become outdated.

I suggest you go more in depth with it too:

You also don't mention that you send APs mid because they can take blue buff easier no matter which team they're on. That's big. Buff control is a big part of why you send certain champs in certain lanes.

You also don't mention dragon control, or lane switching. Sometimes the bot lane will go top to shut down a farm-dependant bruiser, if you have a strong 2v1 solo champion you could send bot. An example of that would be Mordekaiser or Vlad.

You also don't mention AP or assassin jungle. Poppy Jungle is a thing, and Amumu Jungle is a top pick in the current patch. There's also fiddlesticks if you classify amumu as a tank rather than a caster. And now Diana jungle, that's an AP assassin.

Akali Top is a common pick, but you make it sound like you have to be a tank, caster, or tanky DPS.

If I sound like I'm hating it's because it's late. This is a good guide for newbies.

ideals and comments noted thanks for the feedback. made tons of changes so feel free to go back through if you wish. With the new system for listing picks I picked more solid champs instead of top picks. I don't list them all, but a few choice ones. i am probably going to add links to solomid general guides for each role and probably a guide to warding, dragon control ect. Also lane switching is not realy viable in low elo due to lack of communication. As a matter of fact I don't often see it in high elo streams or spectator games.

Enter Tragedy

08-10-2012

New content coming.

Will add a link to general guides for each role from solomid or other guide sites.(yes I will credit the guide creators as well as the sites hosting these guides)

Counter pick section will be made for top and mid.
Bot lane synergy guide will be written by me and linked to this thread.

This Started off as a How to draft, but it appears it will become A beginners guide to ranked. Hope many people gain much from my efforts once this is all said and done. thanks for views and votes.

KingJungleNA

09-28-2012

Nice guide for newbies, Keep updating : ).

Pap3rBox

09-29-2012

no rumble on top lane? wut?

kungfuhustle44

09-29-2012

Is Nasus not a good pick for solo mid? I just started and I have been using him constantly (since i bought him)

everybody0523

09-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kungfuhustle44 View Post
Is Nasus not a good pick for solo mid? I just started and I have been using him constantly (since i bought him)
Nasus is generally played top, and even then he is considered a niche pick at best and underpowered at worst.

fyreskylord

10-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enter Tragedy View Post
Version 1.1

(This post started out as a beginners guide to draft but went into a lot about team comps too. If you have any other advice post and I will update the OP. lets teach people how to play the game instead of flaming them for not knowing.)

these are some tips on how to draft optimally. I see this done so wrong it almost makes me sick.

BANS:

Most people use the cookie-cutter FOTM OPs in order to ban. While this is not always bad it is not always good. Generally for solo Q you should ban champs that are hard to counter-play(yorick) or that snow ball insanely hard(mitigates your team feeding a bit)

Often times you should ban hard cc because your carries will get caught and then your damage output drops so much. Ali is the poster child for this type of ban.

Some Typical Bans at low mid elo are Kassadin, amumu, Alistar, darius, Morgana, Blitzcrank.

HOW TO PICK:

Generally speaking you want the last two picks to be top and mid often in that order. In solo Q often times people lack the champions or the coordination to trade. Often times everyone calls top or mid. You really should only call roles that your best at and only if your in the proper spot(order wise) for that role.

Generally jungler, adc, and support are the best to pick early. Often times it is best to pick your support and adc in tandem especially if the adc is only really good with certain supports or the person who is going to play support only has limited champs that work with certain carries. Getting your support of choice counter picked when your trying to use less versatile carries.(or vise versa)

TEAM COMP:

generally speaking in the current meta(aka the best set up to have been discovered) we have a support, adc, solo mid(usually ap), jungler, and solo top.

ADC: Auto attack champ that scales hard with items. Always Bottom lane with support who protects or helps to feed the adc.

Solid Picks
corki, ez, ashe, graves

Support: Supports the ADC with shields, heals, or CC. Supports the team with aura items, aura passives, map control(wards,oracles) builds gold per 5 items t make up for lack of cs since you give that to your teammates most of the time. Runes and masteries also help with cash flow.

Solid Picks
Soraka, Leona, blitzcrank, Sona, Taric

Jungler: most people understand the concept. Your job is to apply pressure to all lanes with ganks, and to support your laners. This is often achieved by handing our buffs, and covering their lane if they die or have to back. You get most of your cash flow from jungler creeps, and ganks(whether it be assist or kills) You are also responsible for calling the shots during the laning phase as far as map objectives go.. You should also help ward these objectives and keep your buffs and jungle warded in key spots.

Solid Jungle carries/Tanky DPS
Nocturne, Warwick, Jax, Kayle, master yi, Shyvana, Lee sin(high skill cap)

Solid Tanky/Support Junglers
Alistar, Maokai, Nautilus, hecarim, udyr Shen

Solo top: This is mostly a 1v1 lane so you need a champ that can duel well. Often times they have great escape abilities(ie kenen) or are tanky(ie Malphite) which helps survive ganks from the jungler because this is often times the most ganked lane.

This pick depends on jungler. If you have a tank jungler you can pick a bruiser or AP champ. If not then your the teams tank. This does not mean that you can't build any damage. You need to be tanky, but really tank in this game is someone who peels for carries and usually initiates team fights.(which means your the first in. if you're too squishy then you won't be alive to peel or to soak up enough cc+damage) You should try to counter pick when possible

Solid Picks
Riven, Malphite, Jax, Volibear, Vlad

Advanced picks(or niche)
Kennen, teemo, Lee sin, Nunu, Darius, Singed

Solo Mid: These are mostly ap champs or assassins(comp dependent). The reason these are here is because they scale best off of levels(why they are solo), and they usually can't escape real well. Mid is harder to gank because the short length of the lane between outer towers. Your main job is to burst down the other teams carries.(ad first then ap) Try to counter pick when possible.

Solid picks
Karthus, Ahri, Vlad, Galio.

Advanced Picks
Ryze, Twisted fate, Anivia, Kennen

IDEAL TEAM COMPS

Standard(this is prolly best in solo q. Gives a good mix of ap/ad DPS and tankiness)
1 tank, 1 tanky dps, 1 ap carry, 1 ad carry, 1 support

Dbl Ap comp(usually with tons of ap aoe damage, good for team fights, squishy though)
1 tank jungler, 1 Ap carry top, 1 ap carry mid, 1 adc, 1 support

Tanky Comp(heavy team fight comp, sometimes lacks damage)
1 tank jungler, 1 tank top, 1 ap carry, 1 ad carry, 1 support

Assassin Comp( uses talon or champs of that nature to counter opponents mid pick. Also squishy)
1 tank jungler, 1 ap carry top, ad assassin mid, 1 adc, 1 support

This is still a work in progress. Bump with suggestions, well thought out criticisms, ect. If this gets tons of positive reception and upvotes I will make a more in depth guide and post a link above. Thank you good luck have fun.
Solid junglers include master yi? What?

NigelK420

10-22-2012

no Mundo jungle?