Critique my games, please.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Psychosomatic

08-10-2012

Posted this in GD, but that forum has so much noise in it, it's hard to get anything decent out of it. So, I figure I'll post this here for better responses:

I'm looking ahead to starting ranked support play at some point in the near future, and to prepare myself for it, I'm trying to improve any weak areas I have. These are two of my recent matches. I'm curious as to what I did wrong in them and what I could improve upon.

For instance, once the lanes break down and there's fighting all over the map, I'm horrible with warding after that. I'll occasionally drop a couple in the river, but I'm not constantly warding like I do early game.

Anything else I should work on?

http://www.leaguereplays.com/replays/match/704682/
Soraka- 1-3-18
Faerie Charm, 3 green wards, 2 potions (then bought wards at almost every recall) -> Philosopher's Stone -> Basic boots -> Ionian Boots of Lucidity, Heart of Gold -> Giant's Belt, Blasting Wand -- Then enemy team surrendered at 27 minutes.

http://www.leaguereplays.com/replays/match/702278/
Sona- 7-6-20
Faerie Charm, 3 green wards, 2 potions (then bought wards at almost every recall)-> Regrowth Pendant -> Philosopher's Stone, Basic boots -> Ruby Crystal -> Heart of Gold, Faerie Charm -> Mercury's Treads, Amplifying Tome -> Blasting Wand, Giant's Belt -> Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Null Magic Mantle, Cloth Armor -> Aegis of the Legion -> Kindlegem -> Zeke's Herald -> Randuin's Omen

PS- Troll responses will be ignored. Serious, constructive criticism is what I'm looking for here.

tablesplease

08-10-2012

could you edit in a champ/final score of you/item build and order you did it in as a nice little tldr?

tablesplease

08-10-2012

didn't read

Psychosomatic

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablesplease View Post
could you edit in a champ/final score of you/item build and order you did it in as a nice little tldr?
Item builds are easy. I'm looking for someone willing to tell me things about my gameplay that I may not notice that could help me out. But, I can certainly add in the item builds anyway.

Personsir

08-11-2012

Quick item build notes (I'll check out your replays later):

On Soraka, grab Philo Stone and Heart of Gold before boots 2. Then upgrade your Philo into Shurelya's, and then get Aegis of the Legion or Locket of the Iron Solari, or Randuin's. Rylai's is only good if you really really really really need AP damage.

On Sona, same thing, don't get Rylai's. Shurelya's, Locket/Randuin's, Aegis. Zeke's is okay if you get that far. If you have that many kills, something is going wrong. Might just be the Rylai's, but I suggest not using q near the end of fights and just using e + w + shurelya's to secure the kills and get assists instead of kills.

Psychosomatic

08-11-2012

I got the Rylai's on Soraka because I was forced to AP mid her one game and I liked how the slow proc'd on her Q, and we were rolling in this game before the surrender, so I thought I'd just take it again for fun.

The Sona game, I'd never built Rylai's on her before and wondered how it would work with her Q. Turns out, it's not so good since the targets are semi-random.

NewRelicspet

08-11-2012

Firstly, I got a few words of wisdom on your Soraka build that will also help you with your little ward problem.
You got it right with Soraka, you want cdr. But let me ask you, don't you have any cdr runes? I'm sorry for saying this, but you need to have cdr runes with Soraka. That way you can get mobility boots which allows much better warding. And wards win the game.
Also, one little tip. As Personsir says, get Philosophers Stone and Heart of Gold, then standard boots. But if you really want to max your gain from your gp5, I suggest you then get the following:
Philosophers Stone - Heart of Gold - Boots of Speed - Kindlegem - Boots of Mobility - Aegis of Legion - Shurelya's - .... Add situational items.

Allow me to explain:
Getting your two gp5 items first is a must, they will help you with nice support stats and much needed gold. While you are getting your gp5 items, you are still in laning phase, so you don't really need your boots. If your lane did bad and you don't have boots of speed when laning phase ends, get them before anything else.
Usually, I get to buy my boots of speed and Kindlegem before the lanephase ends. Allow me to explain why you get Kindlegem and then Aegis.
The Kindlegem offers you another 200 health, which isn't bad at all of course. Giving you a bit more of much needed sustain as you hopefully can tank for your adc. Besides that, the Kindlegem provides Soraka with the MUCH MUCH needed CDR. Also, Kindlegem is a part of Shurelya's, so once you got it you can get Shurelya's for only 550 gold.
But you don't want to do it just yet, let the gp5 items feed you for one last support item. Normally I go for an Aegis of Legion, since it buffs your team with nice overall stats. It is very situational though, if your team are very tanky naturally or the Jungle is getting Aegis, you can go for a Soul Shroud (if mana depending team) or a Zekes (if the team benefits nicely from the lifesteal). Once you got that item, you are well set and should spend the last 550 on Shurelya's.

Why am I suggesting delaying Shurelya's?
This is mostly something you would do in solo queue. Even in ranked matches, you shouldn't be surprised to see that you are the only one warding. And warding the entire **** map is freaking expensive, even more if you are just a support. So you need the gp5 to secure you at least 1 solid support item before turning one of them in to something else. Having both gp5 intact will also allow you to cope better if your team is in bad luck with kills or if you just don't get any assists.
Getting Shurelya's fast can sometimes be important though, if your team sucks at escaping or the enemy team is just good chasers.

I don't hope that was too long O.o
In that case, sorry. Lol.
A few last words?
About the cdr runes. You NEED them. 20 sec cd on heal is too much early game before you get your Kindlegem and brings it down. I go with scaling glyph cdr and two flat cdr quints. The third quint is a movement quint, as it fits nicely with Boots of Mobility and I already reached the magic 40% cdr with my build.

FaerellG

08-12-2012

I didn't get to watch all of the first game as it's late right now, but you miss a lot of harass openings.
Against melee opponents, Soraka can and should be auto attacking them. Yes, I know Olaf has his axe that slows, but there were several moments where the axe was expended and you just stood there.

The one time you did harass them, you did it from a poor position. They actually pushed past you in lane and then you hopped out to hit them. This resulted in you burning a flash. Again, poor positioning. You shouldn't have stayed in that bush after the lane pushed past you. You're not alistair or Leona who's packing CC to disrupt them, Soraka, should be safe behind her minions.

But when you are safe and behind the minions, you should take the opportunity to hurl some basic attacks at them. It would have made your lane more successful. I did notice that you used Infuse to harass, but just remember that your auto attack work too.

Psychosomatic

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
[Snipped to save room]
Thank you for the advice.

Positioning is a weak spot with me, yeah. My mindset in camping that bush is that if I'm in there, they're usually not. Harassing with AA is something I never really considered. I always figured my damage was too low to do anything noticeable and they'd just regen the slap my banana gives them right away. That's why I usually harass with my E when it looks like they're going in to harass me or my carry. Silencing them usually turns them around, or in some cases it even stops them cold for a moment before they realize they couldn't use their skill.

Their Olaf and Draven kill lane had me a little nervous to try and stand up with them for any length of time. I tend to lose games when the enemy team runs lanes like that instead of the ADC/Support lanes. Part of that is possibly due to my carry not taking advantage of the other team's split CSing. Not that I could do any better, I'm horrible at CSing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRelicspet View Post
[Snipped to save room]
Thank you for the time you spent on your response.

My rune set up for Support is currently: GP10 Quints, Flat MP Marks, Flat Mana Regen Seals, Scaling MR Glyphs. I'll work on saving for the CDR runes. I never bought them because I have the CDR masteries, and with a couple items, I max already. I get that having it all frontloaded at game start is a good idea that frees up items for me.

Shurelya's is typically my last item for that exact reason. I always keep my gp10 items as long as I can if the game feels like it's going to drag on. That way, I can get my Aegis, Randuin's, Zeke's, etc.

M3GaL0d0n

08-12-2012

Hope you've listened to what you've been hearing, it's good stuff. I'll drop my 2 cents into this discussion...

In order to protect your carry, during laning, Soraka needs a lot of CDR, so go ahead and work out your masteries to take the full 10% that's available in the Offense and Utility trees. Summoner spell CDR is also a good thing to grab since you go so high in the Utility tree anyways. If you take the Wealth mastery, don't, it's simply not worth the two whole points to have 40 extra gold, I can't tell if you use it or not (durr durr can't count).

Flat CDR blue runes are arguably your best bet, they give 5.86% (6%) CDR at level 1, but Scaling runes aren't bad either (They're cheaper, if you like that sort of thing). Add in 3 CDR quints and you will have yourself 20% CDR at level 1, this shaves quite a bit of time off your cooldowns, so you can heal more often. GP10 yellows can replace your now lost GP10 quints (They aren't super great quints anyways, they give you around 700 extra gold by the 40 minute mark, yellows are generally better value), these will pay for wards early game and let you grab your first few GP10 items. Reds aren't very good on supports in general aside from the ones with good direct damage (they actually deal enough damage to warrant Mpen), I recommend flat health, armor, or something else defensive ('raka is terribly squishy early game).

If you need the escaping power from flash during laning or if you have an enemy like Akali or Anivia who have area/escape denial, or enemies with strong gap closers, take it, but other wise avoid overextending and you can get away with boots and Shurelya's Reverie for escapes, taking exhaust in addition to heal for better protection. It's worth noting that exhaust has good fight utility as it reduces all damage done by the enemy (Not including true damage) you use it on as well as slowing them, which can turn the tides during a small fight. If you feel you need the escape go ahead and take the summoner spells you had, however as your positioning gets better you should notice you use flash less and less.

I have no time to watch the Sona replay right now, but I don't play her so I can't help very much. I do hope you find some help with it though and...

GLHF