Ask the Rogue Mage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AsktheThornmage

3 Weeks Ago

"What could I possible have to offer them that they don't already know?"

Ryze eyed the summoner who had approached him cautiously, though his eyes remained featureless and white as snow as he did so. The poor robed figure had been sent to inform the Rogue Mage that he was required to answer questions, write letters, and receive visitors whether they be random civilians, summoners, or champions alike for the sake of the Institute's Champion Ask program. Though, judging by the blue skinned mage's reaction just now he clearly wasn't too thrilled by the prospect.

"Please, Ryze, I just want to make the High Councilors happy but to do that you have to agree to take part in this program they're doing in order to make up for the Kalamanda incident."

The summoner referred to the debacle in which High Councilor Heywan Relivash was ultimately found to have been involved in a scandal involving Kalamanda and summarily arrested and removed from his title and status. It had been quite the controversy when it first came to light, but that was some time ago and the Institute continued on regardless. None of it really mattered to Ryze, however, as he has always been more invested in keeping his enigmatic scroll out of the wrong hands.

"Hmm, well, you have a point....But I still don't really like this whole idea. No doubt the majority of letters and visits I get will be about the scroll on my back, but I have no intention of revealing anything about it and especially not to those who could really do some harm with it."

As always, Ryze cared more about safeguarding the scroll in his possession than anything else.

"I'm well aware of that, but the Council believes that it would be for the benefit of all champions that they take part in this program. They say it's...eh...to form more meaningful bonds and to...er...improve morale."

Ryze stared at the summoner, his mouth slightly agape, as if he'd grown a second head but after a moment he finally folded his arms across his chest and huffed agitatedly.

"Fine, FINE! I'll do it! But you tell them that by doing this they endanger all of Runeterra!"

The summoner nodded, grumbled something about getting stuck with paperwork, thanked Ryze and then left to go handle other business. This left the Rogue Mage alone and glaring in the direction of the door to his room, which was simple and minimally furnished - a humble little bed in the corner, a small desk upon which to write responses to the letters he would receive, and a miniature shelf next to the doorway which held a few small scrolls and a couple of books whose titles were written in a language that only a small handful of people could read.

{{ Now accepting letters and visitors! }}

Grievous77

3 Weeks Ago

A large pig would waddle in, a letter tied on it's back and once opened would read,

Ryze,

Breakfast or champions? And also that giant scroll, how much power does it wield?

- Griev and his dog

AsktheThornmage

3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievous77 View Post
A large pig would waddle in, a letter tied on it's back and once opened would read,

Ryze,

Breakfast or champions? And also that giant scroll, how much power does it wield?

- Griev and his dog
Ryze grumbled irritably after reading his first letter, not because of being asked for his Breakfast of Champions - which he'd heard was a tradition amongst the Champions already participating in the program - but being asked about his 'giant scroll'. So he decided to have a little of fun by adding some crude humor into his response to it.

Dear Griev and his dog,

My Breakfast of Champions consists of flapjacks and toast. Also, I don't know whether to be flattered or unnerved by you asking about my giant scroll. I mean, I happen to be rather proud of it but it's not too monstrously powerful compared to other mages'. I think.

Don't hold me up,
Ryze

AsktheThornmage

3 Weeks Ago

A few hours later, when Ryze was ready to send out his first response letter, the same summoner from before returned with a gaunt frown on his face.

"Ryze, sorry to bother you but I forgot to mention something before when I was explaining the program. You are also required to make an effort to visit other champions."

Ryze glowered at him, but otherwise did nothing save to offer the envelope he had just finished sealing.

"Make yourself useful and see that this gets delivered to the proper recipient."

He then began to make his way towards the door as he passed by his robed liaison, who turned and gawked at his back.

"Where are you going?"

Ryze stopped momentarily, turned to look back at the summoner, and sneered in annoyance.

"To go visit other champions, you dolt! I'd rather do that than stay cooped up in a room all day answering letters, which I'll have to get to later upon my return. For now, just make sure that nobody sneaks into my room to swipe my things. Those books were gifts, after all."

And with that the Rogue Mage set out to meet all the charming people and creatures that were also Champions of the League.

Pailidin

3 Weeks Ago

A loud *thwack* can be heard outside of Ryze's room. It sounds like something has slammed into his door. Upon opening the door, Ryze would see a small black raven standing on the ground shaking itself off. Attached to its foot was a letter which read...

To Ryze, the Rouge Mage.

Greetings to you, Ryze. I hope my feathered friend did not cause to much of a disturbance upon his arrival. He's a good friend and companion but is often too... obstreperous.

I write to you with a question, one about the affects of magic on the mind. Is it possible for children to be born with magical deformities just some are born with physical deformities?

Kindest regards,
Colin Steelheart

AsktheThornmage

2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pailidin View Post
No wall of text
Ryze was returning to his room after visiting a couple of champions just in time to see the bird fly into his door. Seeing the poor thing shake itself off on the floor in front of his door, he clucked his tongue sternly as he approached the little creature with his arm held out for it to perch on. The moment it landed on his limb he would notice the letter, but waited until he opened his door and stepped into his room before reading the parchment.

"Hmm....This is actually a good question. I didn't expect anyone to be this sharp of mind. I'd better work on a response."

He then made his way over to the small desk on the left wall of his room, sitting and preparing the necessary materials to respond to Colin.

Dear Colin Steelheart,

From my own experience I'm aware that there is a very small possibility of being born with a magical ailment due to one's parentage dabbling heavily in the arcane, but I'm not sure about any deformities. As you may know, there are those who can be born with no affinity for magic whatsoever, but that doesn't mean it can't still affect you. Can magic influence your mind? Only if you abuse it enough, in which case you can be driven mad or suffer a nervous breakdown of sorts due to the sheer amount of arcane power impacting your psyche. But that is mostly only a risk when dealing with pure and dark magics.

Don't hold me up,
Ryze

freAK47

2 Weeks Ago

A few solid knocks would come Ryze's door. If he opened it, a summoner in a violet robe stood there. His right arm was wrapped in his cloak and an odd dark purplish stain could be seen in the fabric. "Greetings Ryze, the Rogue Mage. I am Summoner Kor. May I come in and speak with you for a moment? I have some information that you may wish to hear of: a style of magic unheard of, even to you if I am correct."

((i have a profile for this guy, but I just dont have the time to flesh him out like I want. Here it is anyway if you want it, though several major things have happened since I editted it last:
http://summoners.shurelia.com/profiles/4401 ))

AsktheThornmage

2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by freAK47 View Post
A few solid knocks would come Ryze's door. If he opened it, a summoner in a violet robe stood there. His right arm was wrapped in his cloak and an odd dark purplish stain could be seen in the fabric. "Greetings Ryze, the Rogue Mage. I am Summoner Kor. May I come in and speak with you for a moment? I have some information that you may wish to hear of: a style of magic unheard of, even to you if I am correct."

((i have a profile for this guy, but I just dont have the time to flesh him out like I want. Here it is anyway if you want it, though several major things have happened since I editted it last:
http://summoners.shurelia.com/profiles/4401 ))
"Alright, alright! I'm coming!"

The Rogue Mage's voice seemed to carry through the room and through the door as if the door was never there at all, and soon after it would give way as the summoner came face to face with none other than Ryze himself. His expression made it clear that he was somewhat annoyed at the interruption, but also bore a hint of curiosity at what this information about a style of magic unheard of would entail. Sizing up mage on the other side of his doorway for a moment, Ryze finally relented and stepped aside to allow him access.

"Come on in and take a seat."

AsktheThornmage

1 Week Ago

The Rogue Match found himself lying upon his back on his bed, his left leg bent so as to prop up his right leg which crossed over it, reading a small book that he had gotten from a library. He hadn't received a letter for a few days, had not been sought out for official League Summoning, nor did he feel the need to visit any champions today.

AsktheThornmage

1 Week Ago

A note on the Rogue Mage's door read as follows:

Ryze is currently away and will not return until his business is finished. If you come to try to meet with Ryze then please leave a note with your name and he will mail you when he returns to see about meeting you. If you're a summoner with his mail, you know what to do.

{{ Freak's OC is the exception because this is after his visit. }}