5 Misconceptions of League of Legends

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YurdleTheTurtle

08-10-2012

5 Misconceptions of League of Legends

Hey all. I've been playing League for quite some time and I feel there are several misconceptions that, if not corrected, lead to some bad habits. Knowledge of these has the potential to improve your gameplay and overall make the game a better experience.

1. Kills mean everything
A very big problem with many games nowadays is how they "spotlight" certain mechanics or game elements.

Have you ever taken a step back and looked at, say, shooters from a spectator's perspective? Notice how, in many modern shooters today, a lot of attention is given to kills. Slow motion cameras, replays of your untimely death, a name/picture/whatever popping up, game rewards ("killstreaks"), big numbers, etc.

MOBA games are guilty of this too. In LoL, as a new player learning to play the game, you're learning not just from tutorial and friends, but also just the game informing you of events. You soon learn that kills are a big deal. There is a big announcement of it. Your name and picture shows up. There are "accolades" for multiple kills in a short period of time, or going on a kill streak. The announcer herself appears more and more impressed the higher the killstreak ("LEGENDARY!").
Post-game, it just continues. You can see how much damage was dealt, what everyone's kill-related stats are like, etc.

It affects us more than we think. For example, we absolutely love penta kills (5 kills within a short period of time). So much, that even in tournaments with professional teams, the broadcasters joke about "scumbag X" when a penta kill is "denied". This happens nearly every time. It's true, everyone is joking around and the win was attributed to team work rather than a single person, but it goes to show how much we've been trained to think of kills.

Assists, on the other hand, get little attention aside from a lonely number. Sure, you get a picture on the side too when you assist in a kill, but it's smaller and less noticeable.

What's my point? LoL, like many video games, unintentionally spotlight certain game mechanics that go against what you're actually supposed to be doing.

You need to break out of this bad habit if it's already happening. Realize that the game is not all about kills, but strategically making your way to the opposing Nexus. Kills help, yes, but not to the point where suiciding for a potential kill is the best idea.

Very frequently, the game is won because in late game, one team either catches someone alone, or they force a team fight in their favour. This is an example where believing kills mean everything can cost you the game. If you're ever wondering why you lost a game where you had positive kill/death ratios, it's probably because you're not looking from a broader perspective, and may have unintentionally led your team to defeat by going all out for a kill.

2.Farm isn't as a big deal as kills
This kind of ties into # 1, but for a different reason.

Farm, or the collection of gold from killing minions, is a big deal. It may not seem like it since every minion seems like it's worth so little gold. Of course, this is just a psychological trick: A kill worth 300 gold seems like it's way more awesome than 20 minion kills worth 30 gold each, even though that is actually 600 gold total!

The point is, farm is actually a big deal, but it's a subtle kind of thing. It's usually quite invisible, but becomes very apparent (usually by late game) when all of a sudden a player has some nifty items to dramatically boost their power.

This is why the "last hitting" concept gets so much attention. This is also why, if someone leaves their lane, they could potentially be losing on a lot of farm while giving the enemy lots of it, which results in a snowball.

3. The jungler doesn't need any help, and if he/she does, then he/she is bad OR I don't want to help the jungler because it will mean I miss out on lane creeps

This is a major misconception that, surprisingly enough, even level 30's still hold true to their hearts.

This is completely false. There are several reasons to help the jungler. It is not a sign of "weakness", but of intelligent gameplay by your team.

I'll list off the reasons and explanations:

- Saves time by allowing faster clearance of jungle creeps
- Allows the jungler to take less damage
- Safe guards your team's jungle in case of an enemy invasion
- Secures buffs

First and foremost, it speeds things up. By dealing out some damage (but don't steal the jungler's experience!), you speed things up dramatically. Don't be fooled; it is actually a big deal when it comes to jungling. Those few seconds can make a difference between exploiting that moment of time when someone overextends, or preventing a counter jungle, or saving a teammate who just got jumped on.

Another major reasons is reducing the amount of damage the jungler takes. If you ever tried jungling on your own, you'll notice you take a ridiculous amount of damage. This is very detrimental as a jungler, as it means:

A) The jungler's ganks are much more riskier, as he/she can die
B) The jungler is more vulnerable to being counter jungled.
C) The jungler may have to recall, which results in lost time, gold, experience, and gank potential

What's worse than giving up a very preventable death? The jungler's death in a gank may also donate a buff to the enemy, which can easily lead to snowballing into the opposing team's favour.

A big reason why teammates gather around in the jungle is to safe guard the team's jungle from an enemy invasion. What this means is that the opposing team may 'invade' your team's jungle by moving in as a group of 5 at level 1. This has the potential to lead to kills, and more importantly, slow down the jungler so much that it snowballs into a lead.

An invasion can slow down the enemy jungler by denying/stealing buff(s), time, experience, and gold. This is not including kills a team may make.

Now, a lot of players are aware of this, but they may not know how to properly aid the jungler. Here's some tips to aid the jungler properly
- When dealing with a wraith or wolf camp, deal damage but DO NOT kill the creeps - the jungler needs those vital experience points! In addition, don't stand so close to them that when they die, you absorb XP despite not doing anything!

-Generally, the mid laner will be the one leashing either the blue or red buff (that is, the Ancient Golem or the Lizard Elder). For either buff, he/she must stand behind the tree line and use an attack or an ability FIRST to grab its attention. This is called leashing.

-There is an advanced leashing technique that lacks a name, although I sometimes call it a "pro leash". Basically, you start a leash, but then you run up and down multiple times. Done correctly, the monster will move up and down repeatedly as well because it's still trying to reach you. The result is a longer leash time where the jungler can deal more damage and take less damage. The only consequence of this technique is that the laners get back a bit later, but this can often be worth it.
Be sure to practice this before trying it in a "real" game!

Lastly, let's look at a reason why some people refuse to aid the jungler: They might miss out on creeps. First of all, simply being in the jungle is already helping because you're there in case something goes wrong, like an enemy invasion. You gain nothing by standing in lane, waiting for minions to spawn.

You actually lose nothing if you do a quick leash, and possibly 1-2 minion kills if you take a while longer. This is often worth it, especially if you save your jungler so much trouble he/she does not need to use up all his/her potions quickly. This translates to a jungler who is healthier, who can gank more safely, who is more resistant to counter jungles, etc.

Think of it this way: You might lose out on a couple of minions now, but by aiding the jungler this could translate to a kill or a bigger minion kill score later down the road (due to succefully forcing opponent to burn Summoner spells and play passively). Lose 2 minions now, win game later.

4. The Support role is unsatisfactory and should always be left to the person with last pick
A terrible misconception. Supports are a vital role in the game, and matter just as much as the others.

The way I see it, they "carry the carries". They are instrumental in keeping the attack damage carry (ADC) alive during their weakest moment - early game. In addition to protection, they help them gain an advantage over the opposing team and frequently have gold to purchase lots of wards.

Wards win games, as any experienced LoL player should know.

It's very unfortunate support gets a bad rap, but it's likely due to the mentality structured around number 1.

While everyone's opinion may differ, supports can actually be quite fulfilling, just in a different way. Instead of killing (in general - some supports are more aggressive) you make big plays with insight through wards, as well as effective use of your abilities to assist and protect teammates.

Also, it should never be 'forced' upon players just because of their placement in draft pick. Players generally should take what they're best in, but they must be able to adapt. Take the support role if means better for your team, both composition and player wise.

Fun fact: Support became one of my "main" roles because I rarely got to practice as an ADC. It's not that I didn't enjoy support, but more that all the other roles tend to be taken. As such, even now, I play ranked games with very little ADC games under my belt!

5. I should always blame someone for a problem

Humans naturally love blaming others. It's just so much easier. Political and marketing campaigns do it. Having a villain spotlighted is easy to understand. It's why going to war against humans is easier than "going to war" on smoking or something. In one case, you have a clear villain to blame for problems, but on the other side, the villain is ourselves. That's not cool.

This isn't a psychology paper, but it plays into LoL just as it does in life. However, if you are aware of how we like to blame others, you can be made more resistant to actually doing it.

In LoL, and in many video games in fact, we like to blame our teammates for problems. It was clearly his/her fault there was no ward there. His/her fault for "feeding" the opposing team.

In reality, it's a team game, and aside from occasional cases of clear trolling, it's everyone's fault. Accept that and learn from that to improve your game. You gain nothing if you legitimately believe that everything was someone else's fault. You may not have control over other's actions, but you can influence it for the better.

For example, you can purchase wards (everyone should be doing this actually). You can stop trying extremely risky moves. You can give advice and better coordinate ganks so things don't go wrong.

Remember, it is a team game. It's easy to blame others, but it's not always the right thing to do.

BONUS # 6: It's not a ranked game, so I should not care
Incorrect. Remember you are playing with multiple people. They may not have fun if they're forced into a loss, or stuck with a teammate who's fooling around.

It doesn't matter if it's not ranked. Even if it's normals, customs, or against bots, other players should be treated with respect and as such, you should play not to the detriment of them, but with them. Also don't forget, anyone can be reported no matter the game mode.

It's slightly annoying when people say "it's just normals", as if it's an excuse for bad player behaviour or tom foolery. I agree that you don't have to take it as seriously, but again, treat others with respect, which means they won't like it if you screw them over just because it might seem fun to you.

Lord Puppy Fury

08-10-2012

Hell, I haven't even finished reading point #1 entirely and I just scrolled to tell you this is awesome. I shall now finish reading the rest of your awesomeness.

Wightraven

08-10-2012

Great stuff to keep in mind, especially regarding supports and junglers.

Khizan

08-10-2012

I'd disagree a bit on number 4.

Support largely gets a bad rap because it's so hard to do at lower levels of play. Not only because the support role is, imo, the most complicated role in the game and it's difficult to master, but because it's so dependent on the rest of your team holding up their end of things.

You might be the best support in the world, but if your teammates don't look at their minimap, insist on running around alone in the midgame, and they don't respond quickly enough to your pings, then your awesometastic warding skills are heavily negated.

You might be the best **** babysitter in the world, but your carry that's getting 1 CS per wave is going to leave you in a weak lane with a weak late game.

You can blow all your CC and heals to keep your carry alive through a gank, but when he stands there and tries to fight 3v1 because "I almost had one!", the only thing you accomplished was wasting mp.

I used to love support, and I used to main support, but I got tired of too many games spent as Taric supporting in a lane with the ADC that's got 45CS by 30 minutes. I love supporting when I'm duoing with a friend that I know is a solid ADC, but supporting for pugs? Meh.

This may change at high ELOs and such, but in normals? Support is important but risky, since you're counting on having a decent team to support.

SWZproductions

08-10-2012

I dont know what just happened to me but, after reading this for some odd reason you make me want to play a support for the first time. O.O

YurdleTheTurtle

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khizan View Post
I'd disagree a bit on number 4.

Support largely gets a bad rap because it's so hard to do at lower levels of play. Not only because the support role is, imo, the most complicated role in the game and it's difficult to master, but because it's so dependent on the rest of your team holding up their end of things.

You might be the best support in the world, but if your teammates don't look at their minimap, insist on running around alone in the midgame, and they don't respond quickly enough to your pings, then your awesometastic warding skills are heavily negated.

You might be the best **** babysitter in the world, but your carry that's getting 1 CS per wave is going to leave you in a weak lane with a weak late game.

You can blow all your CC and heals to keep your carry alive through a gank, but when he stands there and tries to fight 3v1 because "I almost had one!", the only thing you accomplished was wasting mp.

I used to love support, and I used to main support, but I got tired of too many games spent as Taric supporting in a lane with the ADC that's got 45CS by 30 minutes. I love supporting when I'm duoing with a friend that I know is a solid ADC, but supporting for pugs? Meh.

This may change at high ELOs and such, but in normals? Support is important but risky, since you're counting on having a decent team to support.
Don't get me wrong, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

It is true that supports are more dependent on the other roles, because they're...well, supporting them. However, if they're "bad", that doesn't actually mean the support role in turn becomes useless.

For instance, of my 117 ranked wins, 90 of them is from playing as supports (Janna and Leona).

Normals are a mixed bag, because most are doing what they want. But of course, I didn't start out playing ranked - I had to go through hundreds of normals first. Even if there is a teammate not carrying their weight, you can influence things in a better direction.

Very few times I've actually experienced what you had (that is, situations you cited), so perhaps we're just on two different sides of luck.

I don't really know how to explain it, other than, if your carry is slipping, you can give them a little upward push ("carrying the carry") so they don't fall completely.

Lord Puppy Fury

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWZproductions View Post
I dont know what just happened to me but, after reading this for some odd reason you make me want to play a support for the first time. O.O
Seriously, try it, it's very rewarding. Don't expect the adulations of your team mates because most of them won't realize what you're doing, but on a personal level it's very satisfying. On the flip side, give your support team mates a shout out now and again because the good ones don't get it nearly as much recognition as they should.

NewRelicspet

08-10-2012

Bump of justice! Listen to that man.

TheHardWay

08-10-2012

I completely agree about the supporting idea. It is a very fun position to play and I actually main it. Denying the jungler ganks by good ward placement and securing early kills for your adc have a huge impact on the game in the mid/late phase.

And to anyone else that plays a lot of support a lower elo, don't you get such an amazing sense of hope for the game when you see that your adc is decent haha. When I see them mixing last hitting with harass i'm like OOOOOOOH YEAHHH.

Lord Puppy Fury

08-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHardWay View Post
I completely agree about the supporting idea. It is a very fun position to play and I actually main it. Denying the jungler ganks by good ward placement and securing early kills for your adc have a huge impact on the game in the mid/late phase.

And to anyone else that plays a lot of support a lower elo, don't you get such an amazing sense of hope for the game when you see that your adc is decent haha. When I see them mixing last hitting with harass i'm like OOOOOOOH YEAHHH.
Oh my god yes. When the ADC will stand there and AA the minions rather than just last hitting and COMPLETELY IGNORE HARASSMENT...as I wrote in another post, I try to force choke them.

It's especially annoying when I give them a choice between Soraka and Nunu in the lobby. They choose the more aggressive option of Nunu, but then don't capitalize on him at all. It's like, if I just spit a snowball, gave you the W buff, and we have more health then them, it's kill time kiddies.