Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

good tanky characters (offtanky?)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pestilence777

08-10-2012

i'm new (been playing about two weeks), i spent my first week trying a variety of playstyles before discovering that i most liked tanky characters that can walk in, do a little damage and cc, then walk out still alive. I like playing solo top, but enjoy bot lane too. im not sure if the playstyle is "tank" or "offtank", i usually build boots, 4 pure defense items, and one offense item (like the rod of ages on nautilus for example)

My favorite characters to use so far are Malphite, Nautilus, and Sejuani (i know she is not considered a great character, but she fits my playstyle pretty well)

next i was going to try leona

i've also been looking at characters like jarvan and maokai, but thought i should ask people with more experience if there is another character i'd be better off trying.

sorry in advance if this is a bad question or topic!

Zeikei

08-10-2012

As you play the game more and more, you're probably going to start playing by the meta if you want to play to win; which currently is rather strict with a tanky champion in top lane, an AP caster in mid lane, an AD ranged carry in bot lane accompanied by a support that doesn't take minion kills or champion kills and buys wards and utility items, and lastly, most of the popular junglers are tanks or tanky.

Malphite is usually played solo top or jungle, Nautilus and Sejuani are typically junglers. Leona is almost always played as a support bottom lane. Maokai is usually played as a jungler, and Jarvan can be played as a jungler or solo top.

You don't have to worry about playing by the meta right away, but eventually its just a lot easier if everyone is "on the same page" and plays by the meta by default.

OK SORRY I HAVEN'T SUGGESTED CHAMPIONS YET

Cho'Gath has some natural tankiness with his Feast stacks, and his (Q) Rupture is a great skill for people to learn how to use, because its hard to land, but very meaningful when you do. He can be played in the jungle or top lane.

A lot of tanky champions have a playstyle late game that involves them diving into the enemy team and running a high risk of dieing if your team doesn't completely clean up the other team.

If you do want guides for champions, I'd reccommend Lolpro.com, because all of the guides there are written by high-skill or professional players. The only word of warning is that not all of the guides are up to date.

EternalXero

08-10-2012

I would also suggest you try Nasus. That life steal he has as his passive and his unlimited growth Q makes him quite desirable for the off-tank aficionados.

Kensai07

08-10-2012

Trundle! but he takes a lot of time to get used to...Not really flashy, decent utility (pillar & contaminate), not a ton of damage but relatively tanky..

Overall a decently balanced character currently. Not really OP though, but strong.

Zeikei

08-10-2012

Quote:
EternalXero:
I would also suggest you try Nasus. That life steal he has as his passive and his unlimited growth Q makes him quite desirable for the off-tank aficionados.

I wouldn't.

Nasus isn't remarkably strong and really should be left to people who really love him. Pick him because you love the champion, not for strength, because any common top laner can shut him down hard.

aWildBushtit

08-11-2012

Gragas and Blitz can be very tanky, with the right masteries (utility) Ryze can become tanky late game.

smoshey

08-11-2012

well if you ask me annu or nunu are pretty tanky chracters that do lots of damage

SSJayso

08-11-2012

wait for rengar

Chris Spencer

08-11-2012

Pantheon

Pestilence777

08-12-2012

wow thats a lot of variety!

i've been trying leona the last day or so, playing her with 4 defensive and 2 offensive items, its working well enough so far, but im definitely ready to try another character, thanks for the suggestions!