Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot. AP Kat Or No Kat Is Not Acceptable.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Katarìna

08-10-2012

Quote:
Phreak:
We actually do care about different builds if they play differently.

AD Sion plays different from AP Sion

AD Master Yi plays different from AP Master Yi

AD Katarina plays no differently from AP Katarina. One's just mathematically going to be stronger. I mean sure, there's some occasional game where that bonus Life Steal from your third Bloodthirster made the difference, but by and large, you're just doing it wrong. I know it's crummy to just come in here and say, "Naw dawg, you're a newb. Who does that?" But honestly math doesn't lie. There's a good reason that the top Elo Katarina players go Gunblade -> Deathcap/Zhonya/Abyssal.

Edit: Apparently I'm wrong and there exist crit builds for Kat. My bad.

We actually do like to cater to different builds if they're actually different. For example, we're buffing the AP ratio on the on-hit for Kayle and Teemo, plus the explosion AP ratio on Varus's W. We're cool with the theoetical Rageblade-Nashor's Tooth build working. They're interesting and sweet, and they function differently from Wriggle/Mallet/Wit's End or IE/PD.

When my fun time is reduced to 'math doesn't lie' and 'play optimally or don't play' I guess it may be time to find something else that's fun.

Varidan

08-10-2012

I'll wait to see these changes for myself when they come out, but 2 things are still on my mind.

One, the passive nerf from 15 to 10 secs... that basically means no more ulting twice in team fights. (Unless you maxed cdr on her i suppose) Which brings me to my next point, is Katarina is the only champ in the game with an aoe ultimate that hits only 3 players. Being able to ult twice in teamfights was pretty handy.

So whats the point of shaving 10 secs off her ult now if it wont be up twice in a team fight? (Regardless of cdr builds) Why not just let it hit 5 champs?

Adalore

08-10-2012

At which point did Kata's ult by itself penta kill? I have had some pretty **** well fed games and all but never got that "fed" as kata with lane ganks and double kills throughout.

Now she can clear lane faster, now she can gank more often, and have a early game impact, I am completely fine with this, I will not miss old katarina.
She was fun, could win in stupid lanes, but I had no love for W, or waiting until around 7'th level before I had lane presence.

Phreak

Senior Recruiter

08-10-2012

Quote:
Kirra X:
I've been playing some games with kat on the PBE too, they definitely got rid of her snowballing feel, even as a lvl 17 10/1/3 fed kat I couldn't insta kill a lvl 14 lee sin with my full combo, before it would be half an ult and he'd be dead.

She does feel quite a bit more viable especially with the low cooldown W for teamfights.

But you do really lose that amazing feeling of melting faces and pentakilling with her ult.

There's honestly no way that could be the case. Your base combo is about 10% stronger flat out, and the ultimate (assuming full channel) is definitely not 50% weaker. In general, you get a lot of the former, and almost none of the latter, making her stronger overall. But there's no way "Half my ult would have killed him before."

Phreak

Senior Recruiter

08-10-2012

Quote:
Katarìna:
When my fun time is reduced to 'math doesn't lie' and 'play optimally or don't play' I guess it may be time to find something else that's fun.

Again, if there's different gameplay around it, we're all game. I didn't know auto attack based builds existed. I can't really speak much more to that set of the population, so that's a question for someone else.

Katarìna

08-10-2012

Quote:
Varidan:
I'll wait to see these changes for myself when they come out, but 2 things are still on my mind.

One, the passive nerf from 15 to 10 secs... that basically means no more ulting twice in team fights. (Unless you maxed cdr on her i suppose) Which brings me to my next point, is Katarina is the only champ in the game with an aoe ultimate that hits only 3 players. Being able to ult twice in teamfights was pretty handy.

So whats the point of shaving 10 secs off her ult now if it wont be up twice in a team fight? (Regardless of cdr builds) Why not just let it hit 5 champs?

I agree with this. Changing it to hit everyone in the area.

And what happened to my gold on kills/assists. Totally ruins my support Kat.

BCartfall

08-10-2012

Phreak sure is easy to troll.

DriftingSmoke

08-10-2012

The changes to her ult were utterly unjustified.

Are you simply catering to people who don't have the common sense to use CC on Kat when she Ults?

It seems like the changes to her ult are designed to make her easier to kill without having to shut the ult down, tell me if i'm wrong.

cft24

08-10-2012

Quote:
Varidan:

^ This.

Also Rank 2 and 3 of her ult don't really seem that impressive... going from 400 to 500 to 600...+100 overall damage only when you level it? Seems weird~

Katarìna

08-10-2012

Lots of derps in here downvoting, but I guess that's not really surprising. It's a Kat thread. There's always derpy downvoters loitering in Kat threads.