Champion Relaunch: Katarina, the Sinister Blade

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fakeaccnt

08-12-2012

One of the key things that made kat viable mid was her relatively reliable RANGED harass with Q buffed with killer instinct. Kat really needed this advantage over other ap carries because she would lose to almost any ap mid in 1-for-1 nuke trades if she got into range to Q-target the enemy mid directly and would put herself into an even worse position if she Shunpo'ed onto the enemy mid.

Bringing me to my next point:
Killer insticts was a LOT more important than the general public or even riot gives it credit for. Not only did it give Katarina some relevance in the laning phase, but it also was a really GREAT aspect of kat that experienced kat players could abuse. For example, you could activate Killer Instincts 10 seconds prior to an engagement and then have it right back up a couple seconds after using Q or E.

Now, the only way kat can get in some significant damage in the lane is if she gets in melee range. This is contingent on two conditions that must be true:
1. kat won't be instagibbed or out-traded by the enemy ap mid as a result of entering melee range
2. enemy jungler is spotted somewhere on the map
By removing her Killer Instincts, you are effectively nerfing Kat's early-mid game considerably, forcing Kat players to take unnecessary risks if they have any hopes of winning their lane.

Now, virtually the only way kat players can get kills at mid is if (a) the enemy ap is a complete imbecile or (b) your jungler ganks your lane successfully.

Not to mention, by implementing this kat remake, you are just turning her into an akali clone. Q applying marks? mark being consumed by basic attack or ability? W small aoe spell? is this a joke? In your constant efforts to make every champion unique, I was confounded by your decision to implement these changes.

Furthermore, you say in the youtube riotgamesinc mid-august patch preview video that kat's ultimate is unreliable? This is simply not true. As a kat player, you simply have to time when it is appropriate in any given teamfight or skirmish to use your ult (after the relevant CC has been burned) there is no real need to make any changes to her ult.

I sincerely hope that you consider retracting your kat remake decisions. Kat was an amazingly fun and viable champion to play, if played right. I honestly do not understand why you decided to remake this champion.

fakeaccnt

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naotoul View Post
You know i find this to be an interesting change to her current skills and yes its nice but i still think that they shouldn't change her to much do to the fact players don't know when to go in. Katarina is a very good champion and to add what they said in the video she can contribute more to the team then what they say even if they don't think she does. She can easily put a ton of damage out in a team fight as well as out of a team fight. I'v played her a lot and had tons of practice using her ability's along with messing with my builds to match her kit there is many ways to build her and very many of them are effective to a point where she can hop easily and gracefully around the battle field. (this is just my opinion of course which to very many people would mean nothing.) But again i just think if people would practice with her current kit more then just pick her and say "hey i am going to play this champ because it looks good" then they wouldn't have to change her skills at all. It's like every other champion i suppose practice does help people learn clever ways to play a champ and be unique just like how twitch was. I do hope people will take a look at this and see i am not trying to tear down the logistics of champions and players but again i find some champions shouldn't be changed because people find them to difficult to play and (in my opinion again) that's part of the challenge of this game learning the hard champs and using them to your advantage. -End Rant-

~Naotoul
dude, i COULDN'T have said it better myself. Everyone should take a look at this comment. PREACH. so true.

Estinto

08-12-2012

If they apply this changes, they have to take the "assassin" label out of her. A character who can't harras early game is by definition not an assassin.

SolidGold

08-12-2012

The more I read about this and think on it, the more all I see is nerf nerf nerf. I'll sure be interested to try it out because I just do not see how you are supposed to put out near the same damage as before. I don't see how her play style won't be messed up.

Kat is the only champion I have a legitimately good time playing every game. She is significantly more fun to me than any other champ. That said, if she's messed up the way it really sounds like they are messing her up, I'm done. I hope I'm wrong, I hope I'm missing something; but I've got better things to do if they are going to jack up the one toon I really like.

Barkkyy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2012

Katarina is an amazing champion who takes time to get use to and use properly. Now Kat's Bouncing Blades will be like Akali's Q and in some ways do a lot less damage. Since Katarina is losing Killer Instincts, she will have to hit the enemy champion first with Bouncing Blade to do full damage which would put her in range for harrassment from the enemy champion.

Psycho Lollipop

08-12-2012

Nice

kirbyfreak

08-12-2012

kats my main... but i have no idea what to think about this...

GoldenAlphA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-12-2012

I think the new kat will be better than ever before

HANDSOME Salmon

Recruiter

08-12-2012

dont do that please thank you if u read this

GoldenAlphA

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurgir900 View Post
dont do that please thank you if u read this
dont do what?