Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

if you need advice from a 2k elo player about anything in LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hirumonogatari

02-12-2013

I posted this in my own thread but would like your input on this matter. any advice would be appreciated.

Quote:
CSZHUNG:
Hi guys, got a question here.

before you complain about my internet, i'd love to have a solution for it, but unfortunately Riot seems to have a bone to pick with Oceania and leaves us alone to deal with the long connection to US, so we're stuck with the ping. I know some people who have it slightly better at 220 ping, but i'm not shelling out over a hundred bucks a month for a marginal improvement.

250 ping may not seem like a lot, but it adds up to half a second in delay by the time your input goes to the server and is reflected back onto the screen. I usually play bot lane and when playing adc, can farm reasonably effectively if left alone. however more often than not i lose in a harass war, because that extra half a second of you standing there in the open means an extra auto harass you take. could be worse. i've taken blitz grabs and leona stuns even though i'm well away from it on my screen.

when i play support i have the same issue. i just don't have enough lane presence because it's so glaringly obvious when i'm about to go in for a harass. i can ward the lanes with pinks and clear wards, but all that's doing is damage control.

i have tried mid before as an assassin but even against bots its a terrible experience. you just can't chain skills quickly enough. ever see a katarina that took a second of delay in between skills? yea, that was me.

i haven't tried top yet but i think it won't be any better.

would appreciate if some people having experience playing at high pings share their thoughts on how to alleviate the most serious issues.

BoozBear

02-12-2013

Im lvl 21 atm but am looking to start buying champs to practice with for ranked games.

Could you please mention some of the more commonly seen/used champs for ranked.

My favorite role is defintly jungle coming all tied in second is bruising top/ap mid/support bot and finally the only role im not a big fan of is adc.

In saying this tho mentioning a couple from each would be cool.

Also my favorite type of champion are big initiators like amumu, i hear tho he gets banned alot in ranked so was looking for some other champs like him, any thoughts?

Owl Be Back

02-12-2013

Quote:
BadPlayer6:
Would boots+1 ward+1 pot really work top lane? o.o

Also what exactly would you build Faerie Charm into top lane?

it's very champion dependent, both on who you poke and who you fight against

Quote:
CSZHUNG:
I posted this in my own thread but would like your input on this matter. any advice would be appreciated.

You take on high ping as an assassin is actually incorrect. You CAN chain skills as quickly as anyone else, you just have to do it ahead of time. the commands WILL compensate.

I've also played alot of fighting games online, and you have to account for lag. If you constantly experience it, you must adjust. No one goes easy on you whether you have delay or not.

Honestly high ping sucks, but there is nothing you can do about it but embrace it. Play half a second into the future, it will make you a better player, having to predict what everyone else does. It will be difficult though.

Quote:
BoozBear:
Im lvl 21 atm but am looking to start buying champs to practice with for ranked games.

Could you please mention some of the more commonly seen/used champs for ranked.

My favorite role is defintly jungle coming all tied in second is bruising top/ap mid/support bot and finally the only role im not a big fan of is adc.

In saying this tho mentioning a couple from each would be cool.

Also my favorite type of champion are big initiators like amumu, i hear tho he gets banned alot in ranked so was looking for some other champs like him, any thoughts?

Naut maokai and hecarim are all tanky imitators and are fun.

Don't play ranked until you have about 400 wins or 100 wins over losses.

Bad Player

02-12-2013

So can you give an example of a top lane match-up where you could/would start boots/ward/pot, and a match-up where you'd start with a faerie charm?

(Last question, I promise ^_^ Thanks for the answers!)

WhoopsiGoldburg

02-12-2013

How can improve my CS as the AD carry. I've been on a twitch bender recently and have been doing really well KD-wise.

At 10 minutes if I'm getting bullied really hard in a lane I pickup around 60cs at worst and if the lane is going well I can hit into the mid 80's. Once the next 20 minutes roles around I'm barely at 140 or 150.

Like in a scenario where my lane won hard and there tower is down, no objectives to worry about should I still be last hitting or should I be pushing it right back immediately prepping for teamfights?

jadelink

02-13-2013

Concerning High Ping play.

I also have to suffer with a 'down under' ping, and yes you can do assassins fairly well with it, you can also do combo characters like Ryze fairly well. The combo is executed just the same, just a little bit later. A lot of the real skill in assassins is working out your opportunity, you have to see when you will be able to burst someone down in time to get out, when you can do it and die, and when you will fail, and if its the middle option, when is your death worth the targets death. (Then of course you must be able to execute the combo correctly, but that's easy by comparison.)

What you cant do well with bad ping is 'block', that is, use an ability designed to rapidly counter another ability.
Some characters suffer badly from this, including (but not limited to) Sivir (spellshield), Kayle, Tryndamere, (ults), Twisted Fate also suffered from this affecting his 'pick a card' ability, as you get the wrong card way too frequently. I gave up playing kayle and TF for these reasons.

You also flash just a bit late on numbers of occasions that would have had you get out and live if you had 50 ping.

Hirumonogatari

02-13-2013

so i'm going to assume that if i just press all the keys on the keyboard, even though the skills will come out late they will still all come out and in the order that i have pressed?

i don't want to have a 2-hit combo rather than a 3-hit combo because my E key wasn't registered, for example.

Owl Be Back

02-13-2013

Quote:
CSZHUNG:
so i'm going to assume that if i just press all the keys on the keyboard, even though the skills will come out late they will still all come out and in the order that i have pressed?

i don't want to have a 2-hit combo rather than a 3-hit combo because my E key wasn't registered, for example.

they will all register in the correct order. Your ping for your Q isnt different than your ping for your W

Quote:
BadPlayer6:
So can you give an example of a top lane match-up where you could/would start boots/ward/pot, and a match-up where you'd start with a faerie charm?

(Last question, I promise ^_^ Thanks for the answers!)

A low poke lane where you go HAM and fight once, thus not needing potions to regenerate, you go back after you get fb.

If you take an ap top and you want to build chalice, faerie ward and pots is a viable option

Quote:
WhoopsiGoldburg:
How can improve my CS as the AD carry. I've been on a twitch bender recently and have been doing really well KD-wise.

At 10 minutes if I'm getting bullied really hard in a lane I pickup around 60cs at worst and if the lane is going well I can hit into the mid 80's. Once the next 20 minutes roles around I'm barely at 140 or 150.

Like in a scenario where my lane won hard and there tower is down, no objectives to worry about should I still be last hitting or should I be pushing it right back immediately prepping for teamfights?

You can last hit and push, they arent mutually exclusive. learn how to time your pushes so that you can create pressure and force fights when minions are in your favor.

The best way to improve cs is to think of how many you miss rather than how many you get. count missed cs and you will be much more aware of how that goes. also practicing in customs.

BoozBear

02-14-2013

Quote:
Cardboardowl:

Naut maokai and hecarim are all tanky imitators and are fun.

Thank you for the suggestion on heck, i bought him shortly after you suggested him and havent looked back defintly the most fun in lol ive had so far! Had one game just now were i had just a awful team, score was like 0-8 early on, was jungling and trying to beat a AP yi off my mid (would just ult and run) and bot and top couldnt help my ganks much at all, anyway at 20 a vote for surrender went out i even said yes to it, but it was declined and we went onto win the match with me going 13/2/14 was domination once i started snowballing, got a triple kill to secure the base kill at the end.

Also about the:
Quote:
Cardboardowl:

How do i tell how many losses i have in normal i cant find it anywere?

Owl Be Back

02-14-2013

Quote:
BoozBear:

How do i tell how many losses i have in normal i cant find it anywere?

after a game it displays wins vs losses