if you need advice from a 2k elo player about anything in LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Qsario

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboardowl View Post
As an ap carry, it's ok to dive for kills as long as you nuke everyone real hard and then die. as the adc u want to stay alive and do dmg the whole time, thats the difference. If you can nuke AND stay alive, that would be best, but don't be afraid to flash to insta gib.
What about as a support? I actually flashed under Blitzcrank's turret, killed him with Janna's W, tornadoed the distracted ADC who was busy having a standoff with my ADC then recalled from a bush in their jungle while they were searching the river exit. But that was an incredibly random one-off kind of thing and I can't believe I lived.

Also, just how do some people do these weird minion lane control tricks? I've seen some mid who can just pull the wave to one side and they manage to stand between me and the minions, just zoning me out hard (it was a Kassadin if that helps). I've tried to read guides, but my CS is just plain bad (~40 at 10 mins if I'm doing _well_). I can farm a little better after that, but early game.

I've tried reading guides, but there's one that's a huge wall of text telling me the minion health formula that's interesting, but not very easy to practice and then the 1-hit, 2-hit formula for farming under tower that everyone knows. But that always seems to be easier said than done, because half the minions are at some random half-bit of health by the time they get there anyhow.

I assume I have to control the minion aggro better somehow, but practical tricks for doing so still elude me.

Jryiah

12-16-2012

I am level 13, and thinking ahead. I like playing all the roles and the tier 3 runes are expensive. Every role would benefit from more meat, so is it viable to make a defensive rune tree and use it for any role?

Arotisan3

12-16-2012

Who is an overall better champion? Fizz or Nocturne?

I am thinking of buy one from those two, but I need your legendary advice man. :P

Owl Be Back

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2012

Woo guys lots of replies, sorry I've been busy today, but lets get going!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diomedes343 View Post
I've been interested in Ziggs too, actually. How steep would you say the learning curve is for Zyra, Ziggs or Ahri? Which do you feel are the easiest to get to know mid lane with?
Thanks for the good advice. Since I'll be getting these champs with IP, it'll be a while between purchases (at ~1000 right now), so I want to have an idea of what I'm in for with each one before buying.
Ziggs and ahri are both up there in terms of skill cap. Zyra is the easiest to learn out of those 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryiah View Post
I am level 13, and thinking ahead. I like playing all the roles and the tier 3 runes are expensive. Every role would benefit from more meat, so is it viable to make a defensive rune tree and use it for any role?
Yes. If you want a rune page u can use for almost everyone, go for armor seals, MR glyphs, movespeed quints and attack damage marks.

The attack dmg makes last hitting easier, so even mages can use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBBy ******** View Post
If I learn to use Anivia a lot better, should I use the following runes:
magic pen reds
flat mr blues
mana regen yellows
flat ap quints

OR

switch yellows with hp/lvl?
and quints with MS quints?

And I would usually go boots/pots, chalice first, tear, rush RoA, finish tear/chalice, then finish the other, then go deathcap. Masteries I'm not sure of.. 21/9/0 or 21/0/9? Too much?
21-0-9 for masteries. Make sure to pick up the 20% duration jungle buff increase. Swap out your yellows for flat ap. If you are building that much mana regen in your items and getting blues, all that regen is redundant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheAmish View Post
so bought Rengar when he came out but only played him a bit (felt he was Very OP and was gonna get nerfed into oblivion) so haven't played him in awhile how is he doing in pre-S3 as well as since he just got nerfed again? also this is for Jungle for more info i normally jungle Rammus, Mao, Malph (if we need tanks) or Noc, Olaf for DMG.

(also how do you feel about the bots + pots and waiting the few seconds for the 4th pot)
Do not wait for a 4th pot if you are jungling. It wastes way too much time.

Rengar is ok atm. A bit on the weaker side but still viable. He has been nerfed pretty hard though, I would take him top, not jungle.

Owl Be Back

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkHope View Post
Rammus. he's hands down my favorite champion. but where does he fit? im trying to the jungle route but i can't find a fully up to date jungle guide. x.x
Jungle rammus.

Start regen bead and faerie charm and 3 pots.

Start defensive ball curl.

Wolves-->blues-->wraiths-->wolves SHOP
Get boots
Reds-->gank--> wolf and wraith --> gank --> gank SHOP

Philo.

Build tanky from then on out, shurelias is a great item to rush to secure those kills.

If you are ahead, max taunt first. If you are behind, ball curl.
QWEWERWQWWRQ is generally what u want

If you need more detail, hit up my chatroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arotisan3 View Post
Who is an overall better champion? Fizz or Nocturne?

I am thinking of buy one from those two, but I need your legendary advice man. :P
I prefer fizz, but honestly they are TOTALLY different champions and not really fair to compare. Fizz is definitely more fun for me.

Owl Be Back

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post
What about as a support? I actually flashed under Blitzcrank's turret, killed him with Janna's W, tornadoed the distracted ADC who was busy having a standoff with my ADC then recalled from a bush in their jungle while they were searching the river exit. But that was an incredibly random one-off kind of thing and I can't believe I lived.

Also, just how do some people do these weird minion lane control tricks? I've seen some mid who can just pull the wave to one side and they manage to stand between me and the minions, just zoning me out hard (it was a Kassadin if that helps). I've tried to read guides, but my CS is just plain bad (~40 at 10 mins if I'm doing _well_). I can farm a little better after that, but early game.

I've tried reading guides, but there's one that's a huge wall of text telling me the minion health formula that's interesting, but not very easy to practice and then the 1-hit, 2-hit formula for farming under tower that everyone knows. But that always seems to be easier said than done, because half the minions are at some random half-bit of health by the time they get there anyhow.

I assume I have to control the minion aggro better somehow, but practical tricks for doing so still elude me.
Support is more complicated. generally you shouldn't dive though haha.

Generally you just control the minions by going out in front and moving, they attack whoever they say first. All those things are generally really nitty gritty detailed though. Just remember that minions agro to champions to defend friendly champions, and they attack whoever they see first. If your farm is low, practice in customs. (If you are mid, don't be afraid to use spells to catch up in cs if your mana can handle it)

Last hitting is honestly one of the hardest mechanics to mater in the game, and takes an insane amount of practice. just keep at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guesswhonotme View Post
Bump, this dude's advice is great. Before when i played ryze i would feed in mid against AD champions, and have around 12 deaths at the end of the game (i'm not level 30 so i'm still learning!). Last game not only was i fed, but I got the least amount of deaths on a losing team, only one with above 5 kills and lowest deaths at 15/7/7 (their team dominated, but i still did well). He can spot mistakes in your itemization, runes, or anything just ask him! very friendly even towards a non lvl-30 and feeding noob like me ^.^.

Thanks for the kind words, it means alot bro!

Jryiah

12-16-2012

Thanks, appreciated. That lines up with the advice given to me on my separate thread.

So a pure defensive tree would not be viable for Annie/Master Yi?

Qsario

12-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboardowl View Post
Generally you just control the minions by going out in front and moving, they attack whoever they say first. All those things are generally really nitty gritty detailed though. Just remember that minions agro to champions to defend friendly champions, and they attack whoever they see first. If your farm is low, practice in customs. (If you are mid, don't be afraid to use spells to catch up in cs if your mana can handle it)

Last hitting is honestly one of the hardest mechanics to mater in the game, and takes an insane amount of practice. just keep at it.
I wanted to watch the replay for how Kass just zoned me and kept me away from the minions, but LOL Replay has been buggy lately and that replay is broken, just like the tail end of my 0/0/34 support game. I was hoping there were more rules of thumb or techniques for it. I hate when minions 'burst' down a creep or when my projectile lands right after the minion is dead. Or worse, if I have a slow AS and move just before my attack is launched.

Surprised you don't recommend flask to the junglers. I admit to knowing nothing about jungling, though, so I'm really asking why this is not recommended rather than questioning you. My two jungle attempts were "flees from wolves with cho" (I think I started boots+pots) & dies to blue as xin w/vamp scepter after a one APC autoattack "leash" in S3, so you can safely assume that I should not be allowed near the jungle without considerable practice.

At least for support, I love the sustain from flask and it lets me rush sightstone instead of philo to save money on wards all game, though I admit that the first 700 GP is the hardest, especially without the ward mastery, I have to ward late & watch for pink wards. This may or may not be suboptimal, though, because I hear the ward mastery can be great bait to kill their pink ward with yours and sometimes you feel really nervous without the side bushes warded (leona/blitz), so being short on wards is scary early game.

Flask just seems so efficient, does it delay the jungler build too much or something & hinder their ganking? Do jungler item slots fill up too quickly? Is it used by anyone? I have a LOT to learn about what goes on over there. I have mostly a dim awareness of clear speeds and "when is this guy likely to come gank me" but that's about it.

Which reminds me, I should really learn how to help the jungler gank better. Too often, I get too aggressive and they obviously see a gank coming, even if I try to keep track of wards and tell my jungler how to avoid them or even the exact time they die. Any strats for helping the jungler set up a good gank?

Owl Be Back

12-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsario View Post
I wanted to watch the replay for how Kass just zoned me and kept me away from the minions, but LOL Replay has been buggy lately and that replay is broken, just like the tail end of my 0/0/34 support game. I was hoping there were more rules of thumb or techniques for it. I hate when minions 'burst' down a creep or when my projectile lands right after the minion is dead. Or worse, if I have a slow AS and move just before my attack is launched.

Surprised you don't recommend flask to the junglers. I admit to knowing nothing about jungling, though, so I'm really asking why this is not recommended rather than questioning you. My two jungle attempts were "flees from wolves with cho" (I think I started boots+pots) & dies to blue as xin w/vamp scepter after a one APC autoattack "leash" in S3, so you can safely assume that I should not be allowed near the jungle without considerable practice.

At least for support, I love the sustain from flask and it lets me rush sightstone instead of philo to save money on wards all game, though I admit that the first 700 GP is the hardest, especially without the ward mastery, I have to ward late & watch for pink wards. This may or may not be suboptimal, though, because I hear the ward mastery can be great bait to kill their pink ward with yours and sometimes you feel really nervous without the side bushes warded (leona/blitz), so being short on wards is scary early game.

Flask just seems so efficient, does it delay the jungler build too much or something & hinder their ganking? Do jungler item slots fill up too quickly? Is it used by anyone? I have a LOT to learn about what goes on over there. I have mostly a dim awareness of clear speeds and "when is this guy likely to come gank me" but that's about it.

Which reminds me, I should really learn how to help the jungler gank better. Too often, I get too aggressive and they obviously see a gank coming, even if I try to keep track of wards and tell my jungler how to avoid them or even the exact time they die. Any strats for helping the jungler set up a good gank?
Flask on junglers means u can't start boots and u can't get boots to start which is sometimes critical, and u can't get early parts of philo if oyu want to rush it. Also, i think it's honestly only good on supports, ap or top. Not so good on adc or jungle.

As far as xin, start with ur W if the guy doesn't leash you properly. Only start with Q if u are gonna do a lvl 2 gank. with cho, u proly need proper runes, I can jungle cho without a leash if necessary.

Just let the jungler start the gank. It's best to unload your CC at the last possible moment. It's all in the timing. too early and you scare them off, too late and you miss your chance.

Kazral

12-17-2012

Sorry if this question is too vague, but what would you say separates a good support from a great support? Ward placements, lane presence/control, etc? Are there any advanced things I can do in lane as a support to turn things in my favor? If it helps, my two favorite supports are Janna first and Lulu second. As Janna, I feel I have a fairly deep understanding of how to gain incremental advantages through favorable trades. However, as Lulu I still feel pretty blind about what I'm doing against players that really know what they're doing.

I just feel like I've hit a plateau recently. Anything really would be great!