Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Just Started Playing Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sizmic

Recruiter

02-09-2013

Quote:
Xin it to Win It:
And I am back down to Bronze V.

Losing streak.

Every time we duo we seem to win we'll have to keep it up. I am hanging on in Bronze III looking to move on. Sides you're a good Leona even if you do get 5 kills as support.

YSRS

02-10-2013

Quote:
Xin it to Win It:
To be fair, I blew it a couple of times myself, so I was someone else's "baddie." That;s the reason I am in Bronze V.

Humility ( + a handy replay or two) will help you get far!

I don't know if you have LoLReplay but if you have it running for ranked games it can provide some material to look over later ( especially with the ability to spectator record) to see what you did and how the enemy team responded. This helps plan out what you can do differently or try differently next time.

GL HF!

RiotOpti

Community Coordinator

Follow Opti on Twitter

02-10-2013

I feel ya; currently sitting in Bronze IV, wondering if I'm more likely to be successful duo-queueing with my mostly-silver friends or going solo. Definitely enjoying the new wrinkle to Ranked though.

AuV2 Jason

02-10-2013

------Jason------

I'll duo with you opti ( Silver V )

I help people get to higher elo, if they can show me they deserve it ( like I did a year ago )

----AuV2.net----

Horuspinker

02-10-2013

to be honest there needs to be some basic info available to new players to get them ready for ranked play.

Like basic support builds with an indication of how gp10 is a viable way of making money for wards and for gear later on.

You would be surprised how many people hate support because they have no idea how to build them correctly.

zZBlackmatterZz

02-10-2013

Personally I love playing support, it's my favorite. But I struggle wanting to play it in ranked because you are completely at the mercy of your team.

XinIt have you tried going jungle Xin? I"ve been doing that this week with some pretty nice success.

AGCrew Bloodwolf

02-10-2013

Quote:
Xin it to Win It:
I tried a game on the EUW server yesterday (bazner EUW) and unfortunately my ping at 200ms is so different that my typically ping of 11ms that I was having an incredibly hard time last hitting or landing skill shots. I am sure that I could adapt to playing at 200ms (I played Quake for years via dial up at 300 ping), but I don't think I can adapt to moving between the two different ping between games and not cripple my team.
You used to play Quake? SWEET!!! Me too!!! Not using dialup at 300 ping but I definitely had to get used to play at 100-125 ms on most servers. What game mode did you play? I was particularly involved with Quake 3's UltraFreezeTag community for many years, and some RA3 as well. I didn't play Q4 online that much but I did play for a bit. I didn't really get into QuakeLive though... ping went through the roof up to 160-200... making it impossible for me to play comfortably ...

Quote:
Xin it to Win It:

Losing streak.

Worry not Xin it! I'm sure you'll get back to Bronze IV in a flash ... if not you can always add me so we can duo (I'm currently Silver I if that's any motivation )

Incomitatus

02-10-2013

I've just started ranked myself Xin it to Win It. I've been really nervous, I tend to only play with my two friends...both of who play ranked consistently, and often queue with one another. I had to finally work up the courage to play ranked alone, and my first game when so AMAZINGLY well, I couldn't believe it. It was such a relief to just jump right in, and have everything work out better than I could have imagined.

I supported as Leona and accidently got first blood trying to save my ADC who was 1 hit away from dying himself (managed to save him). We ended the game with an 18/6 Pantheon beast, and me on Leona at 8/2 just tanking their team, their turrets, and letting my team clean up. The enemy team was so impressed, they couldn't stop laughing and enjoying the game. They were all amazing sports, some of the most down to earth, friendly people I've met on this game. And our team was the same way...just having a blast!

I'll admit, I'm still super nervous. I'm so use to playing this game with people who know my playstyle, can make plays with me on skype, etc. That the thought of trying to do it in ranked with total strangers nearly persuades me not to bother. I'm no where near the positive influence you are in the games, but I definitely feel like this can become a learning experience both for me, and perhaps others. Wish you the best of luck in your games. working at getting to Silver II myself, and I'm not even sure I belong in here.

Orimza

02-10-2013

Quote:
Xin it to Win It:

Losing streak.

I went on a horrible losing streak due to heavy teammates and got bumped down to Silver 5... Last night I wrecked as Kennen and Veigar and qualified for the 2/3 matches event

Keep trying you'll get there eventually...

Worlds Smu Giest

02-10-2013

I feel alot of the trick to ranked is knowing when and how to push to win at the moment. When you can't win team fights, split push like hell and base race if you have to, sometimes however you just gotta fight, and you always want to fight in the best advantages possible for your team.

Also, I suggest you troll some normal drafts to feel better and if you lose a ranked game take a break and do some normals til you feel more confident.

If you feel you can not win a game, and there is no point in continuing the match, press onward. cause if you surrender , and don't see how it plays out or at least force them to pay hard for every objective taken, you will not improve. Learning to master aggression and have map control is important.

ALso, learn how to best fit your team's composition, and counter your enemies. if they have all high burst champions, get cc and healing, if they have high cc and healing get sustained damage and tank.

Simple example, enemy chooses blitzcrank: sivir, ezreal, leona, and nidalee all provide best counter play if you can time your skills. Enemy chooses Teemo: Elise, kenen, vlad, and mordekaiser are all good counter picks. Enemy chooses katarina: Dodge que ban katarina(jk: malzahar, pantheon, brand, argueably TF, and Cho'gath all do wonders to kill her, or elise.) Enemy Chooses Akali: Diana, leesin, Evelyn, and I would argue for Mordekaiser here as well.

Every champion can be counter played as well: Vlad, malzahar, ww, rammus, and morde are all vulnerable to QSS, Champions with execution moves like Darius, garen, lux, Riven, or Cho, get a hex drinker and a red pot to pop at the last second to stay your execution if you can time it right. Also: If they have a jungler, WARD YOUR ****, and pay attention to the mini-map. For refference I give you the map awareness song:The Mapawareness Song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOXjNE2g2PI)

This all said, Ranked=Effort, if you want to be in the highest ranks, you gotta work for that **** and know what the hell you are doing, cause odds are, someone on the other team wants it just as bad as you and will do everything they can to climb that ladder. This is why i stopped playing ranked, cause i like to troll every now and then, and Ranked is not the place for that unless you duo que or are pub stomping **** with premade 5's.