Just Started Playing Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

And Its Over

Senior Member

08-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBazner View Post
Last night I decided to dive in and start playing solo ranked games.

For a long time I was hesitant to play ranked because I've read plenty of threads about rage in ranked and figured I should avoid ranked play.

What changed my mind was the realization that I have the ability to set a good example in game by promoting positive and constructive communication. This realization was tested in my second game when a high-skill player on a smurf account was paired with me bottom lane (I was Sona, he was Ashe). Initially he was getting frustrated by the mistakes that our team was making and was starting to rage a bit. I reminded him that the rest of the team was not playing on Smurf accounts and that we actually needed guidance to improve our play. He accepted this challenge and took on the roll of a positive team leader. We were able to win the game, which before the change, I don't feel we would have.

I am going to continue to play in Ranked games and rely on communication with my team to try and make up for my deficiency in competitive game knowledge and skill.
Only goes so far when you're team refuses to listen to you, or speak the language.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xephh

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-09-2012

stream pls?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaztoc

Senior Member

08-09-2012

Good luck.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Splendid Pie

Senior Member

08-09-2012

Yeah, this is my own philosophy in ranked. I've only played like 12 games so far, but I've had an overall positive experience by staying calm and working on team cohesion. I play a variety of champions in every role, but I really haven't mastered any single champion, so what I bring to the team, instead of just outright skill, is flexibility and a voice of reason. I even act as an outright leader myself when I think I really have to.

One thing to remember is that you have to be kind and a bit indirect with people. If you just flatly tell them what to do, they'll generally interpret it as hostility with all the pressure everyone is under. You have to understand that everyone, even people that are probably nice irl, can snap under the pressure of performing in front of 9 other people, so you need to be gentle. I give suggestions rather than orders, and encourage people when and where I can, even if they're doing something sub-optimal, because I'd rather have someone playing happily but sub-optimally, than have someone rage while I try to tell them the "best" way to play.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

InertPackage

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBazner View Post
Last night I decided to dive in and start playing solo ranked games.

For a long time I was hesitant to play ranked because I've read plenty of threads about rage in ranked and figured I should avoid ranked play.

What changed my mind was the realization that I have the ability to set a good example in game by promoting positive and constructive communication. This realization was tested in my second game when a high-skill player on a smurf account was paired with me bottom lane (I was Sona, he was Ashe). Initially he was getting frustrated by the mistakes that our team was making and was starting to rage a bit. I reminded him that the rest of the team was not playing on Smurf accounts and that we actually needed guidance to improve our play. He accepted this challenge and took on the roll of a positive team leader. We were able to win the game, which before the change, I don't feel we would have.

I am going to continue to play in Ranked games and rely on communication with my team to try and make up for my deficiency in competitive game knowledge and skill.
Meh, we've all tried that, and it works, then you feel like you're in LOTR and the orcs just keep spawning with their trash talk filth and decay/feeding. So you let anger loose and kick ass, only to find it makes your team over confident because you are winning so hard that they get caught up. ****ed if you do, ****ed if you don't.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ArtemusD

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBazner View Post
I have a lot of experience in other areas and a huge passion for League. In-game skill is not the end-all-be-all for becoming a Rioter.
So I'm in what many call 'ELO-Hell', weather it exists or not, I'm stuck at ~800-900 ELO. Now I'm not going to sit here and say, 'omg teem feed noobz this game report roitplz'. I know that I'm not the epitome of skills (especially since despite ~500 wins, I still can't farm unless I'm Mord.), but I've always wondered what it's like to play with a Rioter.

This also isn't me saying 'hay riot pls play me out of elo hell team feed all day'. But it brings me to a question that will be introduced as a story.

A buddy of mine in a much better ELO standing was in a game with RiotTiza when they were Graves and he was a support. He started talking about how Tiza's positioning wasn't perfect, and how engagements seemed to be shaky at best. So it made me think:

How do you guys feel when games are lost? I mean, we can all say 'we play for fun' for the most part, but there's always times where you want to smash your monitor in and say 'man this sucks'. I try not to rage, but sometimes (especially if the reason we're losing is my fault), I get pretty upset.

TL;DR: Do Rioters rage?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

flip1

Senior Member

08-09-2012

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Schmucky85

Senior Member

08-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBazner View Post
I have a lot of experience in other areas and a huge passion for League. In-game skill is not the end-all-be-all for becoming a Rioter.
Owned.

I recently pulled myself up to and beyond the bottom-line of bronze based on leading one's team. If you can prove to your team, through gameplay, attitude, or otherwise, that you can create and maintain positivity, it WILL rub off on your team.

"Wtf Ashe, why are you pushing, stay behind us tanks, noob" is far better expressed as, "Ashe, I want to protect you so you can deal tons of damage, but you gotta stay behind me so I can peel them off you."

It's all a matter of the way you say things, because over the Internet through text, your tone and attitude don't translate. There is no sarcasm button, and based on how people play ranked, everyone assumes everyone is raging. You have to find a way to transcend that, and if you can do that you will rise in the rankings. I'm not saying 1200 to 1900, that involves training, but it will definitely get you above that 50% win-rate wall you have been bashing your head into.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NitroNatalie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBazner View Post
I have a lot of experience in other areas and a huge passion for League. In-game skill is not the end-all-be-all for becoming a Rioter.
This thread gives me hope. I'm glad there are people out there that actively try to be a positive force, even under the pressure of Ranked. I hate playing Ranked because of the pressure and rudeness from other players. At least I know if I ever encounter you on the field there will be one less meanie I'll have to deal with.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Geth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Member

08-09-2012

I feel this would be a good place to share this story.

A few days ago, I decided to solo q, maybe my 15th ranked game. This game consisted of myself as jungling Udyr, a mid lane Fizz, a top lane Jayce, a Leona support and a Graves on AD carry. At roughly the 20 minute mark, myself and Fizz were not doing so hot. He was 1/7, I was 1/3. He typed out that he was sorry for his poor play thus far, to which our Jayce responded with that it was ok and we all have bad games. The Leona chimed in that everything would be fine as long as everyone kept their cool. By this point, the team as a whole had 12 kills to the enemies 26, and we had a large amount of CS diffrence. It looked like a lost game pretty clean cut. Roughly 2 minutes after our friendly exchange, we somehow aced the enemy team losing only 1 person being myself. At this point, we all commented on how it was due to everyone playing their best and communicating. Then it occured again, and yet again where we aced them. This game honeslty blew me away, we ended up winning without a single person raging the entire time. The kill scores ended 48-28, with us being the larger one at about 48 minutes. I am still not even sure I was in fact playing League at the time,as with my previous solo q experiences this one made no sense.

Bazner, more out of curiousity, do you intend to duo que with anyone? If so, I would like to join you if you woudnt mind. I too am fairly new to ranked, though I have over 700 nomral wins.