Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Just Started Playing Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xImaginaryfriend

01-02-2013

lol now wait til you don't have a smurf to carry you and everyone is feeding and cursing.

LiveSyndicatE

01-02-2013

Quote:
Xin it to Win It:
Last night I decided to dive in and start playing solo ranked games.

For a long time I was hesitant to play ranked because I've read plenty of threads about rage in ranked and figured I should avoid ranked play.

What changed my mind was the realization that I have the ability to set a good example in game by promoting positive and constructive communication. This realization was tested in my second game when a high-skill player on a smurf account was paired with me bottom lane (I was Sona, he was Ashe). Initially he was getting frustrated by the mistakes that our team was making and was starting to rage a bit. I reminded him that the rest of the team was not playing on Smurf accounts and that we actually needed guidance to improve our play. He accepted this challenge and took on the roll of a positive team leader. We were able to win the game, which before the change, I don't feel we would have.

I am going to continue to play in Ranked games and rely on communication with my team to try and make up for my deficiency in competitive game knowledge and skill.

can u name change? just realised how awesome yours is...

Echous

01-02-2013

I wish you luck!

Its good you got people who listen to advice

most of the people won't listen to advice and will ignore and continue to do their own things

as they lose the game for you or cause more people to die with them while trying to save them

JupitersKy

01-02-2013

Quote:
Xin it to Win It:
I did not find it made a huge difference.

i was in a game once and this duo was openly bashing a rioter funniest thing ive ever seen.

Also leading isnt always as easy at it seems. For whatever reason people sometimes have this thing where they just randomly flip a switch mid game and just refuse listen and do whatever they want. When you are losing its very easy to get people to listen if they notice your calls are working, but when you are winning it feels like an impossible task to finish games >1600 elo

DannyPhantumm

01-02-2013

Only upvoted cuz it's a Red. If it was a normal person, down votes Inc.

Hi Geoffrey

Recruiter

01-02-2013

Quote:
MrGoop:
So what do you tell the guy who just dropped from 900 to 700 ELO over the past 3 awful days of gaming due in a large part to people raging or afking? I was playing the only match I had time for last night, was varus with a soraka support. I overextended early and they got first blood, soraka died trying to save me. Soraka immediately starts raging, and refuses to support me any longer. She heads to top and starts bickering with top about throwing the game. All this like I'm trying to be reasonable, I apologized for the death and said I would do better. The match deteriorated pretty quickly from there and despite me going on a 4 kill spree Soraka refused to come back and help because I am a "baddie". So what I ask, is what do? This kind of situation happens to me on a daily basis and as someone who cannot play all the time due to work/school/girlfriend it can be quite disheartening. So what do I do? Continue down the path least taken and not get angry, despite the fact that my forward progress is being ripped away by adults acting as children?

Something's gotta give right? This is supposed to be a fun experience, right?

A big part of playing ranked is making sure that you have enough time to commit to the experience. I find that when I am possibly going to be rushed for a game I will either play a normal game with 4 friends in case I need to leave/surrender due to life getting in the way, or I will play Dominion that has a lower average game duration. I still get a chance to refine my skill with a champion, but I do not have the same level of time commitment.

As for improving the ratio of positive games, right now playing jungle/support has MASSIVELY reduced competition for roles in the pre-game lobby.

I also recommend spending time thinking about HOW you communication. For example, after winning a team fight and grabbing a tower, it's a good idea to back off and not end up getting killed by the re-spawning enemy team. Often players will simply issue a flurry of retreat pings. This is often seen as hostile/negative by your team, as depending on how many pings occur in a game, people will take them as criticism. I instead have started typing in "shopping spree" or "swag time" which turns a negative retreat ping into a heal up and buy cool stuff message. Apply this mentality to as much in-game communication as possible and you WILL see the quality of your games improve.

I will say this does not always work, but part of any competitive game is learning to brush off a loss and learn from it. Even when it turns into a LOT of losses. When I have a REALLY bad streak, I'll play some bot games or custom games to remind myself of how fun this game is.

Hi Geoffrey

Recruiter

01-02-2013

Quote:
Echous:
I wish you luck!

Its good you got people who listen to advice

most of the people won't listen to advice and will ignore and continue to do their own things

as they lose the game for you or cause more people to die with them while trying to save them

it's not about telling your teammates how to play their champion, it's about talking with them about how to beat the other team. It might seem similar, but one is much harder to be on the receiving end of than the other.

Hi Geoffrey

Recruiter

01-02-2013

Quote:
LiveSyndicatE:
can u name change? just realised how awesome yours is...

There is an item in the store that allows you to change your name.

Stranger Ways

01-02-2013

XIN check the forums, massive lag from Riot going on right now please!

YSRS

01-02-2013

@ Xin it to Win It

You raise a lot of interesting points that I never really considered before regarding Solo-Que-Mentality, would you mind ( if you have time) gathering all the points into one post/thread?

I'd like to be able to link your collected wisdom as one piece to other Summoners.

Like the name change!
-