Just Started Playing Ranked

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ElectricPanda

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarbiz View Post
Eleventy billion wins.

Seriously though, you should have at least one champ you can play decently in every role (if nothing else, know their kit and have used them in a bot match). Even better if you have 2 or 3 per role. As far as I'm concerned that's all you need - that and a pinch of understanding and teamwork in the draft itself.
i would SINCERELY ask people to know at LEAST 3 champions in every role - well. on top of that i would reccomend you do not start ranked until 350+ wins in normals. perhaps it sounds harsh but a LOT of people think they are much better than they actually are (which isnt their fault). this leads to an extreme amount of rage on their parts, and their teams. If you only know 1-2 champs per role, one can get banned, or BOTH can be very very easily countered in lane. It is not fair for everyone else on your team if you can only play 1 champion, but that champion is a terrible pick for the team composition.

Edit: I say 350+ wins because a lot of the game doesnt revolve around how good you are at your champion or how hard you win your lane. the other half of the game is understanding how and when to go after certain objectives on the map, how and when to use different strategies, when or when not to chase, etc. These are things you can simply ONLY learn through experience and you most likely will not fully understand them and/or be comfortable with them with under that many wins.

Edit: if you go into ranked still realizing that you have a LOT to learn, do not expect yourself to climb. Everyone has things they can improve on, especially myself, but you should never go into a ranked match not 100% confidant with your champion and your play. If you make mistakes, own up to them, recognize them, learn from them... but dont USE ranked like you would a normal game.

Walkas

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBazner View Post
Not a good item?
As a guy who plays support if I need cooldown reduction I'll typically pick up a Kindlegem and build it into a more useful item such as Reverie or Zeke's Herald. Soul Shroud is ok in certain circumstances but honestly your teammates should manage there mana and the ap carry should be getting blue buff. Looks like you are following recommended items. Typically I run double Gold item getting at least tier one boots. Then I'm typically building Aegis and then turning my gold items into whatever the situation calls for. It's harder for me to communicate this in words. I'm better at just knowing if you get me. I added you in game if you wanna talk about it.

Manabu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-10-2012

Join my ranked team! Add me! We have a lot of fun and also learn more in the process *^*

Don Yawnful

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricPanda View Post
i would SINCERELY ask people to know at LEAST 3 champions in every role - well. on top of that i would reccomend you do not start ranked until 350+ wins in normals. perhaps it sounds harsh but a LOT of people think they are much better than they actually are (which isnt their fault). this leads to an extreme amount of rage on their parts, and their teams. If you only know 1-2 champs per role, one can get banned, or BOTH can be very very easily countered in lane. It is not fair for everyone else on your team if you can only play 1 champion, but that champion is a terrible pick for the team composition.

Edit: I say 350+ wins because a lot of the game doesnt revolve around how good you are at your champion or how hard you win your lane. the other half of the game is understanding how and when to go after certain objectives on the map, how and when to use different strategies, when or when not to chase, etc. These are things you can simply ONLY learn through experience and you most likely will not fully understand them and/or be comfortable with them with under that many wins.

Edit: if you go into ranked still realizing that you have a LOT to learn, do not expect yourself to climb. Everyone has things they can improve on, especially myself, but you should never go into a ranked match not 100% confidant with your champion and your play. If you make mistakes, own up to them, recognize them, learn from them... but dont USE ranked like you would a normal game.
That was the answer I was expecting thank you and the other guy that posted. I know I have a lot to learn but I wanted to know anyway. How would you suggest me learn roles like top, adc, mid if I do not get the chance to play those roles ever? I know I could play without my friends but I find the game 10 times more frustrating if I do.

I think that's something I should learn first, solo queu draft/blind pick. Thanks for the long and thought out replies though, much appreciated!

Junahi

08-10-2012

Somehow I just imagine you saying:

"Yo buddy, I am red, shape up, stop raging and lets win or BAN HAMMER!"

perry mason1

08-10-2012

Chances are he only didn't rage because you are a riot employee. Try the same thing on a smurf (where he doesn't know you are a riot employee), and he will likely just get even more angry.

Glaricion

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBazner View Post
Not a good item?
Think of it like Nashor's or Rageblade, they aren't bad items, it is just that most of the time you'd be better off with a different item in your build. Since teamfights don't often last that long it won't have too much of an effect on it as say if you were doing poke skirmishes, which aren't too common.

ElectricPanda

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Yawnful View Post
That was the answer I was expecting thank you and the other guy that posted. I know I have a lot to learn but I wanted to know anyway. How would you suggest me learn roles like top, adc, mid if I do not get the chance to play those roles ever? I know I could play without my friends but I find the game 10 times more frustrating if I do.

I think that's something I should learn first, solo queu draft/blind pick. Thanks for the long and thought out replies though, much appreciated!
honestly, you dont have that many games so dont sweat it :P
however, get used to draft games, champion select IS part of the strategy of the game - a very important part. Id reccomend practicing using champions in normal blind in different roles, over and over again, and then transfering over to draft to get a feel of the atmosphere of play in ranked.

If you don't really ever get to play certain roles, go into a game and say "id like to top" or "id prefer to mid" and more times than not, you should be able to sneak a chance at those roles.

If playing without your friends frustrates you, then its a sign that you arent prepared for ranked. which is FINE - it means you enjoy your time with them playing a GAME, which is what this is. But if you want to get into ranked, you are going to need to take a step back and look at them - are they ready or able to commit to actually trying to improve and learn? Skill levels are all over the place in my pool of friends. some i play ranked with or practice in normals with, and some i just fool around and enjoy myself with in normals. It doesnt make you a bad person for not ALWAYS playing with them, and it's not always the most fun in the world without someone there to facepalm along with you at silly things, but sometimes you cant always improve with them around.

some of this might sound mean, or whatever, but ranked games arent meant for trololol first time ap wukong games, or for people who ignore objectives in the game to chase someone across the map for a kill. the majority of the rage and frustration people come across in ranked matches are from people who really want to win ("tryhards") but someone on their team simply doesnt. - of course rage is never behavior that should be allowed or excusable, but it happens - were all people.

Learn from your mistakes, own up to them, watch replays, watch streams, and just accept that you have things to learn.

Bubbles of HK

08-10-2012

Basically, everyone thinks they are Kobe Bryant when they are really Kwame Brown. They need to learn how to get carried by Kobe.

Randith

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotTiza View Post
I have led countless games (literally uncounted, probably dozens) out of my 1700 games (500 or so ranked) to a victory after staving off incoming rage from my team. Hard to say how much I turned around personally, but I know I made a difference. You cannot say that being positive doesn't make a difference - not just based off of my experience, but just human nature. People emulate what they see and people set their own actions based on what they see happening around them - how many times have you made a snippy remark to a troll about his last death that you wouldn't have otherwise made to a normal player? You are now part of the problem, but the problem only started because the troll started it. You're both doing it, and you're both accountable.

Controlling your own behavior plugs both ends, one game at a time. I'll take one extra good game out of the pile every single time - why wouldn't you?
Tiza, your posts here confirm that it was a great choice to follow you on twitter. <3

Op: Imma stalk you on twitter now too (if i can find you)!

I used to get pretty negative in game a while back, when I dipped down to the lower end of 900 elo. Until I decided to hop on the forums and read as many comments as I possibly could directed at lower ELO players.

I stumbled upon great advice, which is basically what the OP and Tiza are communicating in this thread. If you temper your attitude, and only show kindness in game, and do what you can to stop any in game chat problems that occur... That alone will raise team morale.

Just by changing my attitude from "Alright. My team is so bad." To: "Alright guys, we got this. Just do X." I went from 900 to 1300 in no time at all. It helped that I also decided to only stick to my ridiculously strong champs. But imo, the attitude change alone is crucial for climbing the ladder.