What is the Point of Lokfar, Lore-Wise?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SoBeNirvana

Adjudicator

07-23-2011

When the game began, it was highly implied that Ashe's tribe was based on the Vikings/Norse peoples. Her original conception was basically "Viking royalty", living in a country of warriors and sailors in the northlands. Then Tryndamere - another norse/Hyperborean warrior merged his country with theirs.

Then when Olaf is released - "He's from the land of Lokfar". Wait, what? Didn't we already have a bunch of Viking people already? Freljord? You can't tell me that name isn't Nordic. Look at their skins - Woad Ashe and Viking Tryndamere - etc.

So doesn't that make Lokfar . . . pretty redundant, lore-wise? It'd be like having two separate nations of pirates.

Would it be too late to retcon Lokfar into one of the more wild provinces of Freljord? I know Ashe doesn't have horns on her helmet, but is that really good enough justification to keep these two states separate entities in the Lore? Freljord and Lokfar are more thematically redundant than Meglings and Yordles.

MajesticRaven

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-23-2011

I think Lokfar may be one of the more...destructive areas.

While Tryndamere may be a barbarian, he is extremely civilized and is marrying Ashe, and Frejlod is taking it's place as an official City-State.

Lokfar, i believe, may be a village name, or a region within Frejlod, where Olaf originated from.

On top of that, Brand was found in that particular region and found his newest body there.

It's probably a region with a bad rap or something due to some sort of past perhaps?

Just a thought.

SoBeNirvana

Adjudicator

07-23-2011

Yeah, Olaf and Brand are more destructive than Ashe and Tryndamere, but that would just add some depth, a larger cast, and more detail to Freljord - not everyone in a city-state always shares the same views - like Gangplank being lawless and Miss Fortune attempting to legitimize Bilgewater.

I don't think it would be out of place to just say Lokfar is the northernmost reaches of Freljord and as a result the people from that province/village are more bitter and destructive.

Zwingley

07-23-2011

Like I said in the other thread, this makes perfect sense to me, although Olaf's lore would need revision. If you give it access to the coast, Brand's lore still makes sense (I think.)

The other side of the equation is the representation of the rest of Freljord in the number of champions they field compared to Lokfar, even if Olaf is the only champion that's technically "representing" the area (Brand would probably burn it with the rest of the world). That's solved pretty easily, though.

It adds a shade of diversity to Freljord that the region will probably need again, when the events between Demacia and Noxus wind down and it's time for the next story arc.

Edit for clarity: No. It's not too late. Do it.

SoBeNirvana

Adjudicator

07-24-2011

I was going to say they don't retcon as much anymore and then I remembered Renekton was recently retconned from a tyrant king into a murderous librarian. So yeah, no problem really.

IndecisivePlayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2011

They aren't just different bands of pirates though, they likely follow different hereditary rule (aristocracy and their crowns), hence different nations.

I don't see it as redundant but I see where you're coming from.

Sarkan of Arkham

07-24-2011

Isn't Lokfar on a seperate continent though?

Cidem1324

Web Content Assistant

07-24-2011

Valoran may be the main continent talked about, but it's not the only continent on Runeterra. Olaf and Brand's lores give insight into that.

Also, Tryndamere is not a viking, he's a barbarian. He has nothing to with traveling the sea.

strativaski

07-24-2011

Like Cidem said, barbarians and vikings aren't the same.

they both hail from harsh and cold lands, but vikings love(d) to use axes and have horned helmets, plunder oversea etc.

the barbarians never crossed the sea, and have a slight other culture

ashhearth

07-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by strativaski View Post

the barbarians never crossed the sea, and have a slight other culture
You do know the word Barbarian is something the greeks invented right?
It meant everyone that wasn't them a greek...

So yeah they do have a different culture and on they don't.
Barbarians are just non-greeks.

If you mean what are commonly called barbarians aka the germanic tribes, they came from the south of scandinavia and Northen Germany, so they do have an overlap.
and Yes they did cross the sea.

Sorry, history tangent.