Shen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DaystarFire

08-07-2012

Anyone know of a good Shen build? I kinda want to learn how to play him and noe of the guides I looked up have a satisfying build.

NewRelicspet

08-08-2012

You shouldn't even bother that much about him, he is permabanned anyway.

If you do insist though, I can tell you this much:
If you look around and can't find a good build for him, make your own. It isn't that hard.

Velpro

08-08-2012

The rare occasion he is not banned and you have first pick then you should definately grab him. Also... a typical shen build depends on the enemy team, but there are a few items you will ALWAYS pick up. HoG + Sunfire Cape + Wit's End is what i ussually go for. Then i grab Warmog's + Aegis and stuff.

FaerellG

08-08-2012

Are you playing him jungle or top?

I usually play him jungle, my build is:

Boots+3pots
First back, pick up Phage
Pick up NMM and Chainmail next (depending on opposing damage and focus)
Upgrade Boots to Merc Treads
Get Recurve

After those core items, start upgrading.
Phage->Mallet
Chain -> Atma's
Recurve -> Wit's End.

My personal recommendations are:
Don't grab Warmogs. Sure, Shen scales well with it, but you don't kill minions quickly and it's expensive. You get more utility out of an early Phage/Mallet. Your Dash is on a long cooldown, so you want to have something else to slow people down with.
The Recurve early is also crucial to your damage output and subsequently having enough energy (faster attacks, means more Ki strike, more ki strike means more energy, more energy means more Feint and more Dash and more Vorpal).
So if you're not getting hurt much despite not having much for defenses, you can forgo the Chain for an earlier recurve.

Also, don't get Sunfire. Generally not a good idea. The damage is really weak and you can get better HP/Armor elsewhere. Similar to the Warmog's argument. It's very tempting to stack HP on Shen, but you're really better served with some AS early on. By that time, Warmogs has lost it's mid game effectiveness. The long and short of it is:
Would you rather Ki strike once for 200 damage or Ki strike 3 times for 100 damage while applying a solid amount of regular attack damage and more vorpal blades (from having more energy)?

HoG is a good buy, especially if you upgrade it to Randuin's. I'll get a HoG early on if I fail my level 2 gank.

But end game build against a balanced team is usually:
Merc Treads, Mallet, Atma's, Wit's End, Randuin's, open 6th slot for wards usually

Other good items to consider:
Force of Nature for crazy amounts of MR, Regen, and some MS.
Aegis

XCodes

08-08-2012

With Shen, you can build pretty much any big-HP item and do well. His real power comes from his kit, and while he scales pretty well with HP/Armor/MR items, the exact nature of the items doesn't matter quite as much as simply having them, IMO.

DaystarFire

08-08-2012

I normally play him as a solo top. Those item builds look really nice though, I'll have to try them today.

FaerellG

08-08-2012

Warmogs is a more viable in Top lane as you'll have more opportunity to farm, though I still don't like it (I really like Phage/Mallet, I don't know how to express how awesome of items I think they are).

In top lane, you'll want to pick the correct Defense item early. If you're facing a physical champion, you might even want to start Doran's Blade instead of boots/pots. Or maybe Cloth+5pots.

XCodes

08-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
Warmogs is a more viable in Top lane as you'll have more opportunity to farm, though I still don't like it (I really like Phage/Mallet, I don't know how to express how awesome of items I think they are).

In top lane, you'll want to pick the correct Defense item early. If you're facing a physical champion, you might even want to start Doran's Blade instead of boots/pots. Or maybe Cloth+5pots.
Do you mean Doran's Shield? Doran's Blade is terrible on Shen.

Also, Warmog's is pretty good on any Shen you can afford it on, although I'd probably agree that I'd personally grab a mallet first.

FaerellG

08-08-2012

yeah, I meant Shield. My bad.

DaystarFire

08-08-2012

So, should I be rushing Frozen mallet, or should I pick up some other item (such as recurve bow) before completing it?