Can Diana lane well enough in ranked to be viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GatorHatur

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetWaterDrop View Post
Mmmm, I thought trinity would be good on her- I was thinking of getting it earlier for the slow.
Honestly, I can see how you could want to get it, however she is very bursty and by going tf you are really missing out on some other great items.. Lich bane is probably one of the best choices on her because it synergizes well with her passive (i.e, your lich bane and passive proc at the same time)

Edit: You really dont need to slow because of her gap closers... As long as you land your Q you will be fine... no one will get away, so the slow is not necessary

Ahxakri

08-12-2012

Well, if you go Lich Bane, you would like more survivability because you'd be doing more burst damage and waiting for your cooldowns to come back to proc it more. So, you'd be doing less contious damage over time, but that initial burst would be bigger.

Trinity Force gives a continuous steady burst and allows you to really stay in the fight and put in the damage to really add to a team fight. You don't have to be extremely durable because you have the offense to just keep putting out damage, even if you're not putting out the occasional giant burst. I prefer Trinity Force because I like being able to just keep laying down the hurt on people instead of doing my burst and exhausting all my damage in one go.

Also, I believe her AoE procs the slow as well, does it not? I love slowing down multiple people all at once with one big AoE attack. :3 A slow isn't truly NEEDED always, but definitely helpful as she cannot be relied on to chase down everyone. Her passive turning into an AoE slow is a big deal and definitely makes her job easier in the fact she has another trick up her sleeve to slow people down for her teammates. Then let's say one does get away, you still have her amazing chase mechanics to fall back on.

GatorHatur

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahxakri View Post
Well, if you go Lich Bane, you would like more survivability because you'd be doing more burst damage and waiting for your cooldowns to come back to proc it more. So, you'd be doing less contious damage over time, but that initial burst would be bigger.

Trinity Force gives a continuous steady burst and allows you to really stay in the fight and put in the damage to really add to a team fight. You don't have to be extremely durable because you have the offense to just keep putting out damage, even if you're not putting out the occasional giant burst. I prefer Trinity Force because I like being able to just keep laying down the hurt on people instead of doing my burst and exhausting all my damage in one go.

Also, I believe her AoE procs the slow as well, does it not? I love slowing down multiple people all at once with one big AoE attack. :3 A slow isn't truly NEEDED always, but definitely helpful as she cannot be relied on to chase down everyone. Her passive turning into an AoE slow is a big deal and definitely makes her job easier in the fact she has another trick up her sleeve to slow people down for her teammates. Then let's say one does get away, you still have her amazing chase mechanics to fall back on.
This is perfect for the kind of style you are talking about... its continuous and bursty and the overall damage output is better... and you dont need TF because of Rylais and you get movement speed from Lich Bane

When I mid I do this build:
Boots and pots
3 dorans
Sorcerers Shoes
Fiendish Codex
Nashors Tooth
Needlessly Large Rod
Malady
Rabadons
Rylais
Lich Bane

She is better all around with this kind of build... Plus TF is expensive (so is rylais lol, but you should be getting lots of farm anyway)(i tried this build with TF and switch to Lich bane because I wasnt happy with it)

Ahxakri

08-12-2012

I dislike the build, there's only 1 survivability item. A big part of Diana's job is just jumping into the fray and as Volty (I believe) has put it "going balls to the walls" with her. Hence, you'll need a good combination of survivability and AP to keep her doing her job.

With that build, you won't live long enough in competitive play to really deal any of the damage you plan to do. Rylia's alone isn't always enough, just because you have a little bit more HP, doesn't mean you're even close to ready to just jump in.

My build focuses on more than just damage. It focuses on surviving the fight while adding to the team fight. She has to survive to do her job to the utmost potential. She needs to be alive to cut off those runners and deal the AoE damage that she is capable of. You're just building Diana to nuke without barely a second thought to how is she going to survive a difficult fight.

GatorHatur

08-12-2012

I guess I am having a hard time seeing your argument 250 extra health isnt really worth it, IMO. My argument is that with proper timing and positioning you don't need the extra health.

If anything Lich bane offers more survivability in ranked because of magic resist...

Ahxakri

08-12-2012

1. Mercury Treads/Sorcerer's Shoes
2. Rod of Ages
3. Rylia's
4. Zhonya's Hourglass/Abyssal Scepter
5. Trinity Force/Lich Bane
6. Rabadon's Deathcap/Frozen Heart/Guardian Angel

Mercury Treads gives Magic Resistance. +25
Abyssal Scepter gives Magic Resistance. +57
Zhonya's Hourglass gives Armor and 2 seconds of invulnerability. +50
Rod of Ages gives HP. +630
Frozen Heart gives armor and decreases attack speed of enemies. +99 and %20 Redcution ATS
Guardian Angel gives Magic Resistance, Armor, and Revives you. +38 and +68
Trinity Force gives HP and Movement Speed. +250 and +12%

None of those you have in your build. There's a TON of survivability that you're missing out. You'd get entirely nuked before I did. Period.

GatorHatur

08-12-2012

I guess we have to agree to disagree because I see where you are coming from but also with what your saying you cant build all of those... You will sacrifice so much damage output... with my build I have seen a chogath 3 shoted...

thats a q-r-autoattack... another thing is from what I'm gathering your staying in the fight?(maybe) the way I play I'm always on the outside spamming q until the right moment...

I think your build will fit your playstyle and mine will fit mine... fair enough?

Ahxakri

08-12-2012

Quite possibly. When asked about my build, I gave my most preferred choices. I stack as much Magic Resist, Armor, and HP as I feel I need. You won't always be the strongest thing on the field and your build will definitely have to deviate from its normal core.

You will need to learn to adapt and know when to build to survive and when to build to nuke. Diana definitely needs quite a bit of survivability or she is just going to drop dead. I don't place all of them on Diana at once, of course. I use my judgment to make a good call on what I need to do to win. If you're team is feeding hardcore, you're build definitely isn't going to stand up.

Sure, if you're miles ahead, any extreme nuke build will work with Diana, but that is always not the case. Learning to adapt is the way to come from 'certain' defeat. Building to survive is sometimes more important than building to kill. Also, I enjoy staying in the fight, not waiting outside spamming my Q waiting for someone to get low just to KS my teammates who have been doing most of the work. That's just being a ****. :/

Diana's ratios are remarkable, why waste them all building full nuke? You have plenty of high AP items with good survivability. You'll definitely make some people think twice about crossing you after they realize "She just came out of nowhere and destroyed me, even if I initiate on her first, she will still destroy me."

If I'm to get kills, I want to do the work and work with my team. I'm not going to be that guy spamming 1 skill every 2-3 seconds and then jump in just to nab a kill when my team has been working for a kill the entire time. One last note, Cho'Gath isn't a tank, if he's fed, he can just become tanky with stacks, so....3 shotting one isn't much of an accomplishment. I'm almost sure that my overall damage will be much higher than your build after a match too.

GatorHatur

08-12-2012

Btw I upped you... I agree, that is my ideal build. Building to adapt it totally the most important aspect of any champion not just Diana.

a nice q-r-w-e-zhonyas could definitely be a game changer in a team fight...

I know I played a game with varus yesterday where I had to sell items and switch to others... but then again with 25k farm by the end of the game there is no excuse for not adapting..

thanks for a good convo about Diana

Ahxakri

08-12-2012

You're welcome. But honestly, you won't lose that much burst with my build. Her ratios are incredibly high. I still highlight Rabadon's Deathcap for a reason too. She can survive a lot and still deal a lot of hurt.

Anyway, I'm just glad I didn't get raged at. I definitely look into a champion before opening my mouth. It shows me that this community might be rather pleasant because it has people who will simply listen to reason.