Can Diana lane well enough in ranked to be viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

e7TopHatter

08-07-2012

I'm wondering if she can be a viable top or mid lane champion to play?

Methamphetamind

08-07-2012

she pushes quite hard with her passive unless you take a lot of care, but can do ok at top, im not high elo in ranked (yet ) but she seems ok for the job.

Essieu

08-07-2012

Actually she's better in lane. Becuase her ganks arent super special before six, her clear speed is okay-ish. So just like any other AP carry, she needs gold and levels. Which your more likely to get in mid, or top.

Ahxakri

08-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by P4Proxy View Post
Actually she's better in lane. Becuase her ganks arent super special before six, her clear speed is okay-ish. So just like any other AP carry, she needs gold and levels. Which your more likely to get in mid, or top.

Completely and utterly untrue. I came onto the forum for my first post after reading this load of BS.

Clear Times
Mundo: 3:17
Shyvana: 3:22
Nocturne: 3:22
Udyr: 3:24
Diana: 3:28

Those are the top 5 clear times in the entire game, still think she has 'okay-ish' clear times? She's currently the FASTEST AP jungler in the game, period. You know what this means? She makes level 6 incredibly fast.

Know what else? She doesn't need any type of sustain to jungle either. Wriggles isn't need nor should it even be on her. Know what that means? All your gold goes specifically to an AP build without deviating to keep up jungling at max speed. She won't even come close to death. Hextech Revolver? Completely optional, I don't even get it though, she has far better items to build.

Diana progresses extremely well in the jungle, far better than in lane. Come level 6, her ganks are comparable to that of Akali's. She's extremely hard to get away from and has a big 360 pull. Her kit is made to stick to targets and kill secure.

As for her laning, I'd call her much weaker. It's extremely easy to dodge her Q, which is her main burst pre-6. She has some mana issues as her abilities cost quite a bit in the early levels. Not only this, like Shyvana, she can easily push without even trying. She has a lack of ability to harass without pushing which would easily give her a better jungle presence than a lane presence. Overall, her ability to lane is there, but it is covered with so many weaknesses that the enemy jungler will just prey on Diana. There isn't a way to safely farm without pushing and forcing you to overextend or lose out on CS.

Furthermore, once Flash is gone (Considering that you have it on her), you won't have any escape mechanics. Your only CC draws in the enemy, which is a big minus for laning, but a big plus for jungling. It won't help against being ganked, but securing kills. Now we'll get into counter jungling for just a moment. You notice her Q goes through walls and reveals anything it hits? Well, it's utility is useful for checking camps BEFORE getting into the danger zone. Q through the wall and you can use your ultimate to take the camp or smite it for the steal. Diana has an ability that acts as a momentary ward. Take that into consideration when understanding her jungle prowess.

Her jungling is far superior to her laning, just keep those facts in mind next time you're roaming against a Diana jungler who knows what the heck they are doing.

Magick Wizard

08-12-2012

What do you build when you jungle her?

Etherimp

08-12-2012

Here's the big problem with Diana in the jungle...

Mana. She is quite dependent upon blue. Although she would work quite well with a mid who doesn't require blue. (Morde, Akali, Kennen, etc.)

GatorHatur

08-12-2012

If your jungling shes very mana dependent, but if you are in lane you shouldn't spam your Q anyway, unless you have blue, or in my case, before I do anything else i get 3 dorans rings(boots and pots first)

Ahxakri

08-12-2012

Quote:
Here's the big problem with Diana in the jungle...

Mana. She is quite dependent upon blue. Although she would work quite well with a mid who doesn't require blue. (Morde, Akali, Kennen, etc.)
To be fair, I can start at red and it will be a FASTER path than starting at blue. If you start at Blue, you will end your route about 7-8 seconds slower than if you started at red. Wraiths > Red > Double Golems > Wraiths > Wolves > Blue is her fastest route. She has the mana to make it through the route just fine. You only need blue once for her to get going as well. Once you get at LEAST Catalyst, you're set to give mid lane your blue.

Quote:
What do you build when you jungle her?
It REALLY depends on my own and the enemies teams, but if I had to give core items. RoA, Rylia's, and Sheen.

1. Mercury Treads/Sorcerer's Shoes
2. Rod of Ages
3. Rylia's
4. Zhonya's Hourglass/Abyssal Scepter
5. Trinity Force/Lich Bane
6. Rabadon's Deathcap/Frozen Heart/Guardian Angel

I used to build Hextech Revolver on her, but I felt that it wasn't that useful on her even when built into Will of the Ancients. And as for Hextech Gunblade, do not buy it. Diana would only get use out of half of it, she does not need or really even use attack damage.

I mean, everything in there should be self explanatory. I really like the idea of Trinity Force on her ahead of Lich Bane simply because it gives her EVERYTHING she needs. Sheen is the more crucial buy because it gives Diana a little more mana allowing her to get out of her mana's early game weaknesses faster, not to mention that sweet proc effect.

Zeal would seem odd until you really thought about it. The faster she attacks, the more times her passives go off, this gives her the ability to continue her burst faster and longer. She can easily stand toe-to-toe auto attacking for good burst damage. It's a nice little touch to Diana, but I love the effect.

Phage, the 2nd most viable item, IMO. If you dislike Trinity Force, build that Lich Bane and use this for Frozen Mallet. HP? Attack Damage? A slow? Not much more you can ask for, for someone who needs to stay on a target. Frozen Mallet only puts these traits to the next level allowing you to truly prevent your opponent from escaping.

I really enjoy these three items as they can allow you to decide how you play Diana, but it will just all come down to playstyle. Hopefully we'll see which can be more viable than the other.

GatorHatur

08-12-2012

When I mid I do this build:
Boots and pots
3 dorans
Sorcerers Shoes
Fiendish Codex
Nashors Tooth
Needlessly Large Rod
Malady
Rabadons
Rylais
Lich Bane

Don't knock this till you try it... She face rolls and snowballs quickly

Magick Wizard

08-12-2012

Mmmm, I thought trinity would be good on her- I was thinking of getting it earlier for the slow.