Need Roleplay Advice

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheViktorBot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2012

Hello, my name is Viktor12. I really need some tips on roleplay, I roleplay in a different game and my biggest problem is that I am way to shy. Im scared to walk up to a person and to begin rp'ing.I can roleplay but Im scared that i will make a fool out of myself so I try to not start roleplay(I was starting at somebody because I was to scared to say anything) So if anyone can give me tips on how to start the rp'ing that would be great. By the way the setting is medieval and I just moved into a new town where I only know 2 people, but Im to scared to talk with them.

AskKarthus

08-07-2012

Try starting rp conversations the way you character would in real life. If you are playing a shy character, you might approach a little bit awkwardly before getting the conversation going. If you are an extroverted character, you want to begin confidently and have fun being at the center of whatever.

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2012

An important thing to remember while Roleplaying is your actual goals. What do you want to do? Why do you Roleplay in the first place? What do you expect to achieve through your character's actions?

Many people have the problem of RPing just for the sake of doing so - usually, what they do doesn't feel like a 'play' at all. That is because they treat RPing as an online game, where there's no real point in playing besides the very process of doing so. However, Roleplaying has a different meaning - the 'play' here is not gaming, but a 'play' as in actor's play, or play as a piece of theatrical art. It means telling a story through written descriptions of a character's actions, or more. Roleplaying is much closer to writing an interactive novel or a story in collaborations with other roleplayers, than playing a game with a circle of players.

When you begin to think that way, several very clear lines begin appearing. What do you want to do? That is, most definitely, creating your own plotline or taking part in an already existing one, or for something more immediate, being part of an event in a setting that you like, or fighting up a challenge that you find interesting. Why do you Roleplay? That is, telling a story of your own or leaving your own part in a story that takes place. What would you expect from Roleplaying? Enjoying the interactivity of everything, anything, and everyone around you like no other game can offer you, and doing all the aforementioned things.

With all this said, let's look specifically at your case. I am not familiar with your characters so there will be several assumptions here.

For one, you need a story that ties in to your character - it could be something longwinded from your character's past, or something that just came up; but generally, it has to force your character to act, it needs to give him a reason to move and do something. If we assume that your character's goal is, for example, becoming a great writer, he would have to look around for new things, explore relationships between people, and search for interesting things that he can turn into a story. With that, we already have a reason for him to speak to his acquaintances - he could be asking for hints or advice, or show them his work and ask for their opinion.

You have to keep a general plotline in mind, for example, like this - "First my character is going to do research, then he will write his first work, but then it will be rejected, he will be sad, and then his friends will cheer him up and help him write a new work. This work will be very good and attract attention, then he will start to become a better writer." That would be a backbone, a definite series of major events that your character's entire life will revolve around. Unless something big (war, natural disaster, apocalypse) happens and affects your character, these major points will not change.

Now, imagine that you have a microscope, and zoom in on that plotline - begin to make smaller points in it, like for example, "First my character is going to do research. He will go to the local pub and sit there for several hours, listening to people talking and catch interesting rumors. Then one of his friends will find him there, and they will talk about what he's doing." This is a much smaller chain of events - this time, it could be adjusted freely depending on what happens around you. If that friend was already there, they could talk right away; if the pub is closed, they could meet at the park; if his friend fell ill, he may skip the bar part completely, and pay his friend a visit instead. It goes on and on, and usually there are alwas several variants floating around - it's very alike to chess and real life, when you think of possibilities, and choose the ones you like best depending on what happens, planning for several moves ahead. But of course, if you have a general story in mind, it's all that you need in most cases.

And oh, if your character is shy, don't forget to put a storyline arc where his friends bless him with the awesome power of friendship and make him a happy person ( / * v * )/

Hm. Maybe it's time I wrote my own writing guide or something?..

EDIT: Also, this - http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...d.php?t=505684 Very useful.

Fenix12345

08-07-2012

Pretty much everything Eredale said. Starting out can be stressful, and if things don't go down how you like it to or if you end up confused then it can become even more so. My best pieces of advice:

Start out with a character that is close to you, I'm serious, it helps a lot. RPing someone with a similar personality to yourself will help you to make more consistent descisions and reactions, meaning that you are most likely to stay 'in-character' throughout an RP. You get to spend more time working out the basics of interacting with others and moving along a storyline instead of worrying about "would the character really do that?", that can wait until you've settled into the groove of things.
And before anyone starts, no, it is not Mary Sue to do this. As long as it isn't a blatantly self glorifying glamorous version of yourself placed in an RP setting, it is perfectly fine.

Have an idea of what you want to do, but don't lock yourself in. It's good to map out your character beforehand and have a general idea as Eredale said. A backstory, personality and a goal are all relevant. But keep it open to start off, so that you don't find yourself forced down one line due to your character's traits even though you wanted another.

It is actually better not to be the best. If your character has faults, or isn't great at something, that makes them a good character rather than a bad one. It can easily be one of your character's faults that he/she is shy, and isn't that good with meeting new people, even though he/she is great at something else. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. For instance, I have a healer who is actually very fragile when it comes to a battle situation. Because she is weak, she often has others help her out or outright protect her from enemies. But because of this she has many more opportunities at making friends, and is much more social than my other character who can handle himself well in a fight, and doesn't need help.

Change is in the nature of RP, and things will rarely (if ever) go exactly how you planned. Keep a cool head, and go with the flow. In RP you can speak through your characters, and there will doubtless be another opportunity to try what you wanted.

Be open with others, if you're not feeling wholly confident and still feel a little new to it, say so like you have here. RPers understand the feeling, and no self-respecting person is going to flame you for being unsure. Ask questions, be inquisitive, you'd be surprised how many senior RPers will go out of their way to make an easier and enjoyable experience for newcomers. Before you know it you'll be RPing like a pro.

Ask the Monkey

08-07-2012

Advice

Delmegar

08-08-2012

One of the most important things about Roleplaying is never have a singular mindset. Roleplay is about give and take. Even as the DM of several hit and miss threads on here, I have learned that not even the DM has absolute power.

You may or may not have an entirely linear path set out for the others, and then the next post, there response could totally change what you think and feel about everything. It can sometimes ruin a thread, or breathe life into it - and thats the point. The respoense you get from others, for me, is what drives me to do it.

And another important detail to remember is that no matter what sort of character you are, and what kind of approach you take in interacting as that character. It is best to remember that others need information. You may disclose thoughts, goals, dreams, anything with your character for the next writer to work off of. With small, short posts, you seem dull, uninteresting, and hard to relate to. And the point is to feel connected, so you can successfully RP together.

And lastly, if you feel awkward Roleplaying, you must feel awkward in real life in front of real people.. Remember, this is more or less a safe zone. Talk to us, be friendly, pitch ideas, and ask for help. We are helpful people. Everyone here is in the same boat as you when it comes to Roleplay. We all have our uncomfortable, awkward moments in character or ooc. Have fun mate.