Sooo... Jungling.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheLastBaron88

08-07-2012

Why is it important? What are its advantages over laning solo or with a partner? What generally are you trying to do, and how do you go about it? Should you be leveling faster or slower than players who are laning? And most importantly, is it even practical to jungle in lower summoner levels without runes? Would really appreciate some feedback on this, as I just am not getting it. Right now the best jungler I have unlocked I think is Warwick.

R0ACH

08-07-2012

1) More overall gold and xp for your team
2) Ganks and blue golem buff give one lane an advantage over the other that they might not have had if both lanes were equal in skill.

It's the jungler and mid lane ap who gets that advantage going for a team. Once those 2 work together the balance of power changes quickly.

It's not really practical. Your clear times are terrible and most of the time your solo top lane can't 1v2. Your top tower goes down, your top has no gold, has fed them 1-2 kills, and worst of all you now have 2 enemies that feel like roaming around the map ganking lanes or taking down towers.

Velpro

08-07-2012

I would say the majority of games have a 1v1 top, which then makes everything practical. People get buffs and can gank to give advantages.

Lord Sirrush

08-07-2012

it all depends on the top lane. Higher level play normally has a jungler so you have alot more options for top. But a Cho or a yorick are notorious for doing fine in 2v1 situations. You just need a solid top that can continue to be safe and farm under the tower if you plan on going blind.

arcticnerd

08-07-2012

It really depends on what elo you are playing at. If you are 1200 or below then you probably don’t need a jungler. Even at 1300 its questionable. Instead having a 2 v 1 top lane can completely shut down one of the enemies. If done correctly you can set the opposing team back considerably but completely denying one champion any farm.

Cenerae

08-07-2012

There's three main advantages of a jungler.

1) A fourth 'lane' of experience and gold that can be taken. This gives you two solo laners, instead of one.

2) Global pressure. If you do your job well, the enemy team will have to be wary of your ganks, lest you kill them and feed yourself/your team more gold. Even if you fail to get a kill, you can damage the enemy laner, maybe force them to blow summoners, and give your ally a stronger grip on the lane.

You can also ward a bit early game to offer some map control while you're roaming.

3) Buff, dragon and baron control. Since you run Smite as a jungler, this gives you the ability to finish off any of the buffs, dragon or baron with less risk of the enemy team swooping in and poaching them. The last thing you want is a Lee Sin diving into your team, Smiting baron/dragon for the killing blow right under your noses, then dashing back out with his Safeguard over the wall. Having your own Smite spell gives you the chance to prevent this.

Theoretically, no you don't need a jungler. But not having one is giving up a whole lot of benefits. If you're not jungling and the enemy is, he now has double the buffs to take in the early game, and he'll be the only one applying pressure to lanes. To be fair though, having a bad jungler is worse than going without one in the first place, so at particularly low skill levels you might be better off not bothering. If you ever had a game where your jungler managed to die to blue buff at the start, you'll know what I mean.