Is there any way to deal with Riven on Dom?

123
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

irott

Senior Member

08-06-2012

Best way to deal with Riven is to go around her and kill the rest of her team, and then kill her last. Just don't let her catch you under a tower.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EMeta

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-06-2012

Seriously, I love Riven. I think I've played her on Dom more than anyone but Singed. But like other posters are saying, she's just not as strong as the monkey, the mantheon, Jax or Darius. Her gap closers are Much shorter and her total damage less. If you can stay outside of her range, you've got her beat.

She is basically a nightmare for anyone who needs to channel: Kat, fiddle, etc--that's just the bane of counter-picking. I think her best strength is her ability to trade bot with an AP, and mess up your opponants' mr/armor stacking, because she really is just as good top, bot, or roaming.

And yes, armor works. warden's/randuin's better than most.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RyuNaganoto

Member

08-06-2012

What you seem to be looking for is some "Magical Anti-Riven" Champion or item. There really isn't. Frozen Heart is pretty good, but since Riven is mostly an AD caster, the AS debuff is only so effective.

One thing I can offer you is that Riven needs to commit to a fight to be effective. Try harassing/Poking her out of her dash range. If she uses her Q to catch up to you, then she just got rid of some of her damage. Poking and harassing her can make her hesitate to fight with you, which will work in your advantage. Also, I know this is pretty obvious, but try and CC her when her ult is active since it only lasts for a certain amount of time, this will cause some Rivens to ult prematurely. Also learning the duration of her Ult works wonders. Most Rivens wait till the last second to use the second part of the ult, so you can predict when she will use it. You can then use Hourglass or shield/Heal to nullify the killing blow.

P.S. I don't play Riven at all, I just have fought a few and this is what I learned.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wolfalisk

Member

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by irott View Post
Best way to deal with Riven is to go around her and kill the rest of her team, and then kill her last. Just don't let her catch you under a tower.
Then she presses R, then R again, kills your whole team?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wolfalisk

Member

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuNaganoto View Post
What you seem to be looking for is some "Magical Anti-Riven" Champion or item. There really isn't. Frozen Heart is pretty good, but since Riven is mostly an AD caster, the AS debuff is only so effective.

One thing I can offer you is that Riven needs to commit to a fight to be effective. Try harassing/Poking her out of her dash range. If she uses her Q to catch up to you, then she just got rid of some of her damage. Poking and harassing her can make her hesitate to fight with you, which will work in your advantage. Also, I know this is pretty obvious, but try and CC her when her ult is active since it only lasts for a certain amount of time, this will cause some Rivens to ult prematurely. Also learning the duration of her Ult works wonders. Most Rivens wait till the last second to use the second part of the ult, so you can predict when she will use it. You can then use Hourglass or shield/Heal to nullify the killing blow.

P.S. I don't play Riven at all, I just have fought a few and this is what I learned.
You're spot-on, I am looking for info on how to play AP vs Riven, since they don't seem very effective vs her. My beef is basically she gets to do what she wants, and at worse she has to wait on a few cooldowns if things go ill. As an AP vs. her, you miss your stun/snare/etc, you are dead. No recourse. No chance. Coupled with the fact that she doesn't really build MR but still shrugs off the dmg, I do have a problem with it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ekis the Seraph

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-06-2012

Rammus counters her really hard. Sunfire Cape, Thornmail, and Force of Nature makes her lulzworthy :P


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RyuNaganoto

Member

08-06-2012

Well, that is the nature of Riven. If you miss your CC, there's not much anyone can do for you. She has burst and sustain, she has a no cost Shield melded with a small dash. She is practically built to take out AP champs. To help with her shrugging off damage, built flat MPen (Such as Haunting Guise/Abyssal) rather then building % MPen (Void). Since she doesn't have any MR, why take off a % of that?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1d5b61a8733e170555aa6

Senior Member

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volandum View Post
just cc and focus her.
Gee, how very helpful

All champions get ****ed by crowd control


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mike Robz

Member

08-06-2012

Singed


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

konfetarius

Senior Member

08-06-2012

Quote:
You're spot-on, I am looking for info on how to play AP vs Riven, since they don't seem very effective vs her. My beef is basically she gets to do what she wants, and at worse she has to wait on a few cooldowns if things go ill. As an AP vs. her, you miss your stun/snare/etc, you are dead. No recourse. No chance. Coupled with the fact that she doesn't really build MR but still shrugs off the dmg, I do have a problem with it.
So.. don't engage her as AP. This is a genre of counter-picks. Some champions are going to be helpless against some champions in a 1 on 1 situation. Stay behind your team and tell them to focus her if she tries to run past them after you. If she survives that as a glass build, your team is terribad and you lost that game no matter what bruiser the Riven player is playing.

If you *have* to play AP, play AP that has tools to survive a bruiser charging after them. Ahri, Fizz, Leblanc are a good example. Get max CDR. Contrary to your statement that "armor is useless," you are simply flat out wrong there. It means the difference between Riven needing 1 or 2 combo chains to finish you off.

Quote:
Gee, how very helpful

All champions get ****ed by crowd control
Some more than others. And many champions that soak up the CC spells officially did their job as the ones that don't handle CC as well didn't have to.

Riven is a melee AD caster. The entirety of her damage output and survivability is her abilities and she has to be in range of all the CC/burst to do it. So, yes, CC does **** her more than other people. She isn't someone like Jax or Wukong who can frontload all their spellcasting in the first second and just keep on trucking.


123