How the heck do you play Singed?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Puppy Fury

08-06-2012

I bought Singed recently. I've poured through guides and studied up on him, but I'm still really struggling. From what I've read, he's supposed to be built to counter the enemy team, but I seem to end up as this hybrid AP/tank that excels in neither role. I also know he's supposed to be an excellent farmer, but if I'm solo top, especially against two enemies, I really have trouble getting any cs.

Additionally, from what I've seen/read, in lane, letting enemies chase me down the poison trail seems to be what I should do, but I've had team mates (of dubious skill) yell at me for running away.

I don't know how much of a factor this is, but I only have a rune page geared towards AD champs so far. I have some resistance and armor glyphs and seals, but damage quints. Should I shelve Singed until I can afford an AP page?

TL;DR: I know Singed is supposed to be this un-killable beast, but I'm utterly at a loss for how to get to that point. Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Drakien

08-06-2012

Ok, first don't try to go hybrid with singed unless the other team can't counter you or you are doing pretty well, also, remember that speed and positioning are your friends, Singed's abilities work on that principle.

Always use your ult before a teamfight begins, it will be the only thing keeping you alive, your role is to break havok to their team by flinging your enemies into your team or away from your carries.

Singed poison cloud strength lies in its damage over time, the more the fight endures, the more dmg the enemy team will recieve, mega adhesive is a very powerful slow, invest some levels on this if the enemies are fast, if you get them, you can make them waste their flash.

Lastly, fling is powerful not because of the damage, but because you can place an enemy in a bad spot or keep them from your carries. Just be careful, fling can actually backfire.

Fukaro

08-06-2012

Use fling to put enemies in position to get ganged or save teammates. Run around with Q on to farm or troll opponents. Use W to chase down opponents. USe R if you wanna get super stronk. You are winning.

Madcat1337

08-06-2012

Long time Singed player here. He was my first main but I'm no expert either.

For runes I go mpen marks, armor seals, mr per level glyphs, and ms quints. (You can also go AP per level glyphs if you're doing AP Singed) Since you don't have these runes yet, I wouldn't recommend playing him quite yet, as AD is really really useless on him, like, I can't stress how useless it is, his punches are like paper.

Summoner spells I go with Ghost and Tele. Ghost is a must for chasing and snagging a fling, while Tele is good for any top laner but if you dont like it Flash, Exhaust, or even Ignite are all viable options.

For masteries I like to build tanky to achieve the unkillable beast effect, usually 1/21/8 grabbing the extra ms in both trees. I also grab Expanded Mind for the extra mana per level which goes good with your passive, as well as Summoners Wrath for the speed boost with ghost. You can also build 8/21/1 or 9/21/0 if you want the extra killing power. I've also played with 21/9/0 and it really takes people by surprise how much damage your fling does while your poison just eats away at the whole team. Singed is an AP Tank hybrid and you will always have some of both worlds, but try to focus more on one or the other (don't try to get an equal amount of both, it wont work like you said).

I prefer to start with boots +2 health 1 mana pots, but starting with saphire crystal and pots is also viable for extra mana, and therefore health with your passive, plus it will build into an early catalyst. RoA is your first must buy item, it is just fantastic on singed. Health and AP, plus Mana and therefore MORE health is just fantastic. Make sure to get it asap so it can start building the extra AP over time. In terms of boots, 99% of the time I get swiftness. This is because Singed is already so **** tanky he doesn't really need the extra mr or armor and extra ms is always great to land those surprise flings. If the team has a lot of cc, dont hesitate to take merc treads though, but only take ninja tabi if the team is heavily ad.

Set your poison as your priority, as without levels it's just not potent enough to be a threat. This is important early game too as it will be your main farming and lane pushing utility. If you're playing tank Singed focus on your goop second as it will slow champions to a crawl with levels, and think of your fling as simply utility for your team not as a source of damage. Unless you're playing AP Singed in which case prioritize fling over your goop instead to just roflstomp. Early game it is very easy to overestimate Singed's tankiness, so be careful until you get your ult and catalyst.

Early game you will want to have boots and catalyst, and I usually get heart of gold too to build into randuins later but judge that based on the enemy team comp cause if you're not getting randuins its not worth it. Midgame you will want to have swiftness and RoA as well as a chainmail and negatron to get a little tank. After that whatever you do is subjective. I really like building negatron into FoN for the extra ms and sustain +tank. Rylais also works well with extra AP and health, plus the slow will applied to your gas and fling which is just fantastic and hilarious to see everyone slowed and choking in your cloud while you run circles around them yelling LOLOLOL. After Rylais I get Randiuns to complete your tankiness. By this point the enemies would be mentally challenged to still keep focusing you, so top your build off with a Rabadons to give your poison and fling a huge boost.

All these items are expensive, yes, but money shouldn't be a problem at all. Midgame Singed has incredible lane pushing abilities, and with his insane speed and teleport you will have amazing map coverage and most of the time should be the first choice if you need to branch off and push a lane (just be sure to come back to your team right away because you not good at all at taking towers, and a lot of the time you will have a hard time 1v1ing without your team). Plus if you get heart of gold early to start building gp/sec you should be bathing in gold in the mid-late game. Simply try to poison everything that moves, fling stragglers that attempt to escape back into your group and rack up the assists. Also don't be afraid to run if necessary, Singed is really great at that (if you hadn't figured that out by now).

In terms of gameplay, early game don't try to solo the enemy unless you know you can net the kill. Most of the time you need to wait for your jungler to gank so that you can slow/fling the enemy to the them. Just focus on farming with your poison or last hitting (a little tip early on is to use your poison in short short bursts. Try to conserve mana as you are really mana hungry, fling take out a bit chunk of your mana, and your poison can eat it up faster than you realize as well. Just run between a group of minions and double tap q in order to lay just a little cloud on them, you don't need to marinate the entire lane). After you get catalyst you have much better sustain, and by level 6 you can even push your whole lane and try to help gank the mid if you're feeling ballsy.

During team fights when everyone is sparring, try to surprise fling a champion that gets out of position into your team for an easy kill. After the team fight has broken out, target the squishies or the carries as they will be trying to stand in the back auto-attacking and fling them into the group to teach them a lesson. Stay with your team though and try to fling enemies away from your carries as well, all the while laying your poison on as many enemies as possible. Don't chase stragglers way out of position if you don't think you can get the kill, and don't try to bait enemies away from the group either to do the poison chase trick that you're talking about (its not smart, your team needs your utility and to soak up the damage, and often times its what the enemy will be trying to get you to do). Only do the poison trail chase thingy if you're in danger and are actually running for you life, in which case poison away and try to run in line with the enemy to get the walk in it. Eventually it'll do enough damage to get them to stop and you can get away safely.

Singed guide:
1.Run around
2.Poison and fling everything
3.Dont give a ****
4.Profit?

Hope this helps!

SouthernIrishND

08-06-2012

From my limited experience, early game is rather difficult for Singed. People I've gone against know to build MR and zone me out of farm/exp. Try coordinating early ganks with your jungler to get yourself ahead vs whomever you're laning against.

As for items, I usually rush Catalyst/RoA for the massive amount of sustain/health it gives, in addition to the nice AP (for RoA).

Again, I'm not an expert, but this is what has worked for me in general.

KneeShot

08-06-2012

You've got the idea right - build against opponents

first off, masteries and runes
masteries i would go for 9/21/0 as standard bruiser
or 0/21/9 for more movement speed and sustain

runes:
MPen red
flat AP/ AP/lv blue
armor yellow
speed purple
so you can farm with your Q while dealing enough damage to enemies

then summoner's skills
I go for exhaust and ghost or ignite and ghost
due to my runes set up I would be quite weak against AP bruisers
throw down exhaust can help to fight against them or setting up ganks or even just to run
ignite is also nice if you are facing mundo...(i hate your ult, enemy mundo)

about items
although RoA is supposed to be Singed core item
you don't need to rush it every time
yes, Singed benefit so much from RoA
but if you keep on getting killed or zoned,
RoA would make you fall behind on items

you can start with boots 3 pots / cloth 5 pots / magic mantle pot
depends on who you are facing
if the enemy top is AD mained, get ninja boots and frozen heart
if the enemy top is AP mained, merc treads and FoN or RoA

game play
Singed is weakest pre-6
but knowing your opponents' weak point is more important
main your Q for farming, W as your secondary skill as an escape or gank/kill set up
one point E as it costs too much mana, I just want its utility not damage
you can have two styles of playing

aggressive: (see how Dyrus play Singed)
use Q to completely push your lane,
then farm behind the enemy tower or go counter jungling
passive: (suits you more now as you got AD runes)
farm under your tower, use your W to set up ganks,
catch the enemy off guard by flinging them to your tower

in team fights, press R press Q and rush INTO enemies,
fling enemy ADC or APC into your Q, job done
spam your laugh for extra taunt

Singed is a tanky bruiser, don't hesitate to run into enemies
with your R you can tank more than expected

now sum up some main ideas for you
1. R + Q + bunch of enemies = kills
2. against AD = FH, against AP = FoN or RoA
3. tank it, you are not APC or ADC
4, Q + W behind you + E enemy back into glue = more damage
5. laugh while running

and the dream build:
merc treads
RoA
frozen heart
FoN
Randons
GA

Kat Commander

08-06-2012

Dunkmaster Singed? I think so..

Lord Puppy Fury

08-07-2012

Wow, thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate the time y'all put into some of these responses.

Dondarrion

08-07-2012

I started playing Singed recently, usually carry most of my normal games and rarely lose when playing him.
You have to get MS quints in my opinion, you're Singed, you should be faster then most of your team and the enemy team.

My build advice is Boots/Pots>RoA>Rylais then after that you can basically adjust, if they have strong/fed AD Carries I'll build Frozen Heart, eventually they won't even attempt attacking me. (Abyssal Scepter and FoN are great items on him, FoN for the MR and MS, Abyssal Scepter for the AP and MR)

As for playing, it can be daunting going 2v1 solo top last game I was against Mord and Lee top lol, just stay near your tower and start your poison when the minions are near and farm them, if the enemy comes for some harass toss them back into turret range.

For 1v1 top, just zone them, don't be afraid of their damage, if they're in the middle of the minions run in and make a poison trail, he can't follow or he'll take too much damage, he can't stay or you'll run back and do it again. Eventually you'll get pretty tanky and he won't be able to out harass you with your toss and make it back to his tower without losing a chunk of hp, Singed is tanky, fast, has a strong aoe slow and can kite, everything one needs to escape a gank.

Late game your team will follow you, your toss can catch an out of place enemy and do some decent damage and snowball a 4v5 fight, if the teams are close in a teamfight, chances are you'll be one of the last ones alive at the end. This is your time to shine, spotlights on you lol, mop them up, tosses/slows run ahead of them, take out the carries first, tanks can't do anything to you, their carries are scared of you.

Also your toss can be a lifesaver for your carries as tanks will just run past you and go for them, go from behind and flip them. Slow them with Rylais+Your slow and run trails around them while your carry dishes out some damage.

My builds end up looking something like: Merc Treads (CC is his only weakness imo), Rod of Ages, Rylais (The slow...gotta have that slow), Frozen Heart, Force of Nature, This is the slot where you can just muck around with, usually games won't get this far but if they do Abyssal Scepter is good, GA works well although it'll be very rare that you die, Zhongyas can be used for troll initiating with your toss, doesn't really matter, adjust to the enemy team.

The Dehli Man

4 Weeks Ago

One thing that I used to do completely wrong with singed was go aggressive early game. After I stopped doing this, I became consistant with him. To farm, you just walk around with poisin trail. You don't use your punch except for in early game. A good combo to use is Fling someone behind you, use mega adhesive in front of you, blocking their way to their tower, and use poisin trail, walking towards their tower as if they are chasing you. Stop before tower range. The thing about Singed that makes him so annoying is his AOE damage, that has absolutely no cooldown. Make use of this, and know that your ult has a really low cooldown, so use it whenever freely. Just experement with him, and you should be fine. Build him more tanky and I think you will do better. It is always a good idea to be safe at first!