Mr.Mushroom

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

paperbatt

08-05-2012

Teemo, the swift scout

Lore:
Teemo is a legend among his yordle brothers and sisters in Bandle City. As far as yordles are concerned, there is something just slightly off about him. While Teemo enjoys the companionship of other yordles, he also insists on frequent solo missions in the ongoing defense of Bandle City. Despite his genuinely warm personality, something switches off inside Teemo's mind during combat so that the lives he must end while on patrol do not burden him. Even as a young recruit, the drill instructors and other trainees found it a little disconcerting that, while Teemo was normally charming and kind, he turned deadly serious and highly efficient the minute combat exercises began. Teemo's superiors quickly steered him toward the Scouts of the Mothership, which is one of Bandle City's most distinguished Special Forces unit alongside the Megling Commandos.

While most yordles do not handle solo scouting missions with a great deal of finesse, Teemo is remarkably efficient at them. His record of success in defending Bandle City from infiltrators easily makes him one of the most dangerous yordles alive, though you'd never know it by having a cup of honey mead with him at his favorite inn. Bandle City chose Teemo as their first champion for the League, and he has taken to it like a duck to water. His signature weapon - a blowgun - uses a rare ajunta poison he personally gathers from the jungles of ***ungu. To help cope with his lengthy periods of isolation, Teemo recently struck up a friendship with Tristana, a fellow League champion and fellow member of Bandle City's Special Forces. This connection is healthy for both yordles, though now Valoran's voracious media outlets circulate rumors that the friendship is turning into a romantic relationship. Regardless, Teemo is a crowd favorite in the League of Legends, and a pint-sized foe that many have come to fear.

"Teemo rides a thin line between chipper compatriot and unrepentant killer, but there's no one else I'd rather have as a friend." - Tristana

Quotes:
Upon selection
"Captain Teemo on duty."
Movement/attacking
"Hut two three four."
"I'll scout ahead!"
"On my way."
"Swiftly!"
"That's gotta sting."
"Yes sir!"
Taunt
"Never underestimate the power of the Scout's code."
Joke
"Size doesn't mean everything."

Basic information:
Champion cost: 3150 ip -- 585 rp
Roles: Assassin, Support, Disabler, Haste, Farmer, Ranged, Recommended, Scout

Pros / Cons

Pros:
Hellacious damage (if you follow this build)
One of the best farmers in the entire game (yes, I am looking at you mushrooms)
Nice early game, fantastic mid game, lethal (to the enemies) late game (if you follow this build)
Good pushing abilities
Tank destroyer
Can evolve into a fully capable assasin late game
Can give map control to his team, which determines games
Mushrooms deal very good damage
Cons:
Quite squishy (though this build has been designed with his squishiness in mind, and attempts to counter it)
Mushrooms can be destroyed by anyone who has an oracle's elixir (in fact, in ranked/normal games every roamer will have an "eye" so a good team, with a good support who destroys your mushrooms will have you crippled as far as your team utility is concerned. Oh and btw even melee champs can clear your shrooms with an oracle's, as it doesn't need someone to come close for it to detonate, but to step on it.)
Has a tendency to be focused in team fights
Low health points
If your team has a lot of ap champs, and enemies build heavy magic resistance, you may begin to have some problems.

Runes

Main route (Ex-alternate route)

The alternate route is based on some well founded advice from DianTheGod on the comments on this build. That dude, very well suggested that if for a strange kind of fashion you decide to roll with attack speed runes at any point you could go with attack speed on seals(yellows) and magic resist on glyphs(blues).

9x Greater Mark of Insight

The reason you roll with these reds is pretty straight forward. You deal magic damage. You get little magic resistance reduction from items. So you need to find other sources of magic resistance reduction. This one's a good source.

9x Greater Seal of Alacrity

The reason you roll with those yellows(seals) is that they provide more attack speed than the blues(glyphs) with attack speed.

9x Greater Glyph of Warding

For a reason similar to the above.

3x Greater Quintessence of Insight

For the exact same reason as reds.

You might even try to play with the rune combiner, though I personally do not suggest it, as it may produce runes wildly different than those you input in the first place, so you will actually end up with a loss, unless you are extremely lucky.

Masteries

Since the Masteries revamp, some patches ago, I noticed that sticking with Defensive Masteries was no longer that benefitial as before. Riot did a good job and they changed masteries to be more directional as to which playstyle they should serve. It became clear that defensive was for tailored for tanks, more than ever. Most of the masteries in the defensive tree did not suit Teemo anymore. That's why I decided to shift my focus on offensive masteries instead. While not as terribly usefull as the defensive masteries before they were changed, the percent damage increases and the ability power added (although negligible) are something worth having over the alternatives.

However we should note that we should not forget Teemo's squishieness under any circumstances, and that's why we dived for the remaining 9 points in the defensive tree, providing Teemo with what is in my opinion a vital +6 armor/magic resistance, especially early game, and some health regen, case you have to anticipate offensive enemies that do a good job harrasing you in lane.

Skill Sequence

You need to max your Toxic Shot (E) but not asap. Take it easy. It synergises well with your on hit effects (actually that's why i build him on hit effects) but it doesn't count up if you do not have any on hit effects.
Your Blinding Dart (Q) is important but not for the damage. It's important because it helps you to counter hard attack damage carries and have some team utility apart from your mushrooms.
Your Move Quick (W) is not all that important, but it's passive is nice, and it's active even nicer. It has saved my butt countless times. The reason for that? The passive bonus is lost upon getting attacked by enemy champions or turrets. Whenever you activate the ability you get double the passive bonusses for 3 seconds and they can not be lost upon attacks from enemies. What does this mean? You can run away like a little girly while shouting "GTFO, GANKERS" xDDD
Your mushrooms Noxious Trap (R, Ultimate) are a whole chapter by themselves and will be covered
later.

Summoner Spells

The summoner spells I chose are Ghost and Ignite. The reason I choose Ghost is the fact that this along with your Move Quick renders you (almost) ungankable. Ignite on the other hand, can help you greatly with it's true damage and healing and regeneration debuff. Other viable picks might be Flash, Cleanse and Exhaust. Other spells like Heal, Clarity and Teleport or Revive are NO, NO.

Mushrooms

Ah, our dear poisonous mushrooms. Ain't it ultra fun watching at those nuclear explosions from your spawning pool everytime an enemy steps on one? But let's face it, your shrooms are much more than damage. If you wanna play teemo successfuly, you have to learn to place shrooms at key locations so as to ward objectives in maps. Let me be more accurate. Instead of only damage, shrooms offer a small area where you can see, so that they effectively act as wards, only less powerfull, but with damage. You can also count in the fact, that every time an enemy is damaged by them, for the duration of the slow and the damage, you are granted sight of them. Now you may ask, what does this mean? Well a good teemo, provides his team with supreme map awareness by placing shrooms all over the map. Key objectives such as dragon and Baron must be warded at all times, brushes must be warded at all times and even some key objectives like the red and blue buff in the jungle. Now don't get me wrong on this one, but it's not always essential that the enemy must step on a shroom, but you can also place mushrooms in places where it will only provide vision and won't be detonated. For instance, if you play mid teemo, you may want to place them in the edge of the brush, as well as in the middle so as to have 1 mushroom for vision and 1 for damage. Also do not place shrooms (even in small) brushes right at the center of it, because good players ussually will enter a brush from it's very edge if the enemy team has a good teemo. That's not to tell you not to place mushrooms in the middle, but to place them a little bit more smartly in some brushes so that it is guarranteed enemies will be hit by them.

Also note the fact that you have to drop mushrooms like they are hot. If you catch yourself with 3 shrooms on you regularly, then I am sorry to dissapoint you, but you are a bad teemo.
Now I will analyse the items I take and when I do, as well as the reason behind the choices.

Well now:

The reason I start the game with this item, is the fact that it is really solid for the beggining of the game. It gives you 100 extra health, 10 extra attack damage and last but not least 3% lifesteal. If you do not feel like getting the blade, you can get Doran's Shield. Now I consider either one of the items a must in the beggining and should at ALL TIMES be prefered over boots. Why, you may ask. Well I have never really counted the times I have achieved or escaped first blood and survived with less than 100 health. And this, without counting the extra damage or armor that I utilised in the process. This item will be sold later.

With the recent changes and the addition of tenacity in the game, I strongly believe these boots to be a must. It adds to your defenses with magic resistance, providing you with more safety on your squishy early game, and the crowd control reduction is more than welcome in team fights. Now if you absolutely do not want to take these, Berserker's Greaves are a good choice, along with Sorcerer's Shoes.

By the time you are level 5-10 you should have achieved your first kills/assists. After you recall feel free to start building into your first on-hit effects item, by investing in the Dagger. Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, Malady! Wait...You do not know what malady is? Ok let me tell you. This beauty gives you a total of 50% extra attack speed, as well as 25 ability power. If this alone was not enough, it debuffs your enemy with a stacking magic resistance debuff of 6 at a time, totalling about -25 magic resistance for your enemies. Cool huh?

After you get your malady, you should have some ganking power so feel free to roam or help in ganks. After some kills you should have 1050g which you should invest on your Recurve Bow. After gathering 950g go back to complete it. It is a decent item, that gives you an extra 40% attack speed adding to what you already have, some magic resistance, and the best of all, a on-hit effect that deals 42 damage to your enemies, and increases your magic resistance by 5 stacking up to 4 times. (Do not look at the items description here in MOBAfire, it was changed in the recent patch)

By now you should have already become a killer in disguise allowing you to achieve some kills all by yourself while also achieving some well coordinated ganks if your team is good. After you happen to catch yourself with 1000g available to be "invested", feel free to buy a Madred's Razors and farm creeps like a maniac. After you have gained another 1050g (which should be really easy, because of the madred's razors procs and kills go back to get another Recurve Bow before you finally find all the money to finish it. As an item, it is unbalanced...erm, beautiful I wanted to say, providing you with plenty of attack speed, 25 attack damage, some armor to keep you alive, and most of all, the BEST on-hit effect. Watch out, here I ***, erm, come: 4% of your opponents max health is dealt as magic damage every time you hit them. I give you 10 seconds to realise what it does. Then I will keep on. Wait...who said it sucks? It must be an idiot, because, 4% of an opponent with a max health of 3k hp is about 120 health lost per hit. That's before counting magic resistance, so it will be a little bit less, but it's still powerful.

Now you have all the damage you might ever wish for, without even asking santa klaus for it, and you just want a little more survivability as well as something to stop that Vladimir running like a little draculina while you buttsex him. Have I talked to you about my friend Frozen Mallet? You can find him by combining a Phage and a Giant's Belt (it's recommended to get phage first, as you already will have about 2 attack speed, which equals to 2 attacks per second and you could easily kite enemies or chase them to their death.)

By now, you should have been transformed into a yordle assasin, and you will have a glowing banner with the word danger above your head. You can very well understand that you will attract a lot of unwanted attention in team fights, and you need to counter this, by building a guardian angel. The guardian angel by itself deters enemies from attacking you, but even if you are unlucky, or play against a well coordinated team guardian angel will give you a second chance at wreaking havoc to the enemy team.

As a whole the item build may look expensive, but fear not, since the items that are obtained give you great killing power and you be able to kill/gank without even mentioning the fact that you will get a lot of kills by killstealing too, with the high attack speed that teemo acquires through this build.

Situational items

Well, Guardian Angel may be the king of the defensive items (at least for me), but what happens when you happen to face a team which damage comes primarily from magical sources? Fear no more as the Banshee's Veil comes into play. The item itself is widely considered the best carry defensive item. It provides you with a solid boost of +50 magic resistance, as well as some health and some mana. But most of all, it gives you a tremendously good passive ability, which blocks one enemy ability directed against you every 45 seconds. Possibilities are endless here. You may break a LeBlanc's combo, so that you may actually survive her...You may get away without eating that Sion's Cryptic Gaze...and things you may never ever imagine...

What to replace: Guardian Angel
When to replace: When you think you have enough armor already, or if you face a heavy ability power based team.

Now, Hextech Gunblade is the #1 hybrid item in the game, but what can it do for Teemo you ask. Well, first of all, it gives your normal ad hit a pretty good boost of about 50 - 60 (depending on the enemies' armor). Apart from this, it will also give about 16 damage in overall to your Toxic Shot, about 60 damage to your Noxious Trap and another 60 to your Blinding Dart. Apart from these bonuses, it will also provide a boost to your survivability adding a 20% lifesteal and 25% spellvamp to your stats. All things considered a nice item on Teemo

What to replace: Wit's End
When to replace: When games take too long, and you happen to have some extra money to invest on it.

What does a non on hit-effect, pure ap item has to do with as/on hit effects Teemo you may ask. Well this item only really shines if you happen to be part of a heavy magic damage team, or if the enemies build magic resistance to counter you. Stat wise it gives a +70 ap which adds to about 15 more damage in overall to your Toxic Shot and another 50 - 60 to your Noxious Trap and your Blinding Dart, and 40% magic penetration which is why you want this sweetness. It is only really useful, when enemies have way above 120 magic resistance.

What to replace: Malady
When to replace: When enemies have a lot of magic resistance.

You can get those case you want some magic penetration and your enemies do not have heavy crowd control spells and effects.

What to replace: Mercury's Treads
When to replace: When enemies have a lot of magic resistance.

A quite decent item on Teemo, actually empowers your Blinding Dart and your Noxious Trap by 65. But this is not the real reason you can use this item. The real reason is that it provides a decent, (even better than Frozen Mallet) slow. The only reason i choose Frozen Mallet in the main build, is that you can build it faster, and you also have a slow in your Phage while you build it. A decent item if you want the slow, and a little bit extra damage.

What to replace: Frozen Mallet
When to replace: When you feel like you want some extra damage in addition to the slow, and someone else can provide it while you still build it.

Well there have been those people who argue that once you are lategame, you are not so much in danger, as you can kill somebody without that much risk, and would like a boost of power. For those people the The Black Cleaver is perfect.

What to replace: Guardian Angel
When to replace: When you feel like you want some extra damage and that you are not that much at risk, THOUGH I PERSONALLY DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

Here's one item, that I should have added in the guide long ago. Forgive me for that, but I was reluctant to suggest such an item on Teemo, at least not without extensive testing. At first sight, it seemed that it was not worth getting in the main build, as it offered damage comparable to Malady but it was not offering the extra Magic Penetration, which for me was a big hit. However the revamped masteries, offering 10% magic penetration right from the start, made this item more worth thinkin about, and I figured out the AoE damage along with the extra health might come in handy in certain situations. However note that I said in certain situations. It's not always ideal to get this item over something else.

What to replace: Malady or Wits End
When to replace: When you feel like you need some more health to survive team fights, and could sacrifice some magic penetration in the process. THOUGH I PERSONALLY DO NOT RECOMMEND INVESTING IN THIS ITEM UNLESS IT IS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

Further explanation on build and stuff (TL:R maths)

The above build was carefully crafted with the 2 following parameters taken into consideration: you need to have damage that suits teemo, and you need to counter your weakness in defensive stats. All things considered, I came up with this build which offers 146 ad, on hit effects damage wise, and if the defenses are taken into consideration you can float well over 150 armor and 130 magic resist.

Watchout! Maths incoming.

Damage dealt on average using this build:

Attack damage 146
Malady 25
Wit's End 40
Madred's 120 (Depends on health, damage calculated against a 3k hp enemy)

The above adds up to about 300 damage per hit. With an attack speed of 2 attacks per second you deal double the damage at about 600 damage per hit. Note that all damage dealt is magical so it gets punished by stacking magic resistance so care if you are in a heavy ability power champions champ. That is also before resistances are taken into account. On a typical opponent with 50% magic resistance you will deal:

Attack Damage 146 (without taking armor into consideration)
Malady 20-25 (will increase as malady debuff stacks on opponent)
Wit's end 30-40 (same as above)
Madred's 100+ (same as above, taking a 3k hp opponent into consideration)

Now for all those who will flame for "NOOBZOR, I NEEDZ MOAR DAMAGE" let's take into consideration that if you ignore guardian's resistances you will take about 20% more damage from both physical and magical damage. That's about let's say some more time for opponents to kill you. Which translates on living more to deal more damage. If you compromise your defences for some more damage, you will die faster, and you will actually LOSE damage on a team fight.

Criticism on Ability power (AP) teemo

Ability power Teemo. I am personally excited, for hearing the joke of the year. What?!?!?! You are excited with his mushrooms? What? You claim they deal too much damage? And apart from that you also have a q Blinding Dart that is a powerfull nuke? Seriously now let's discuss about Ability power Teemo strengths so that I can persuade you that he lacks against as/on hit effects.

AP strengths:
Imba(lanced) damage from mushrooms even after their nerfs
Blinding Dart is a powerfull nuke
Your damage is epic, when you acquire Lich Bane

If I have forgotten some just tell me so in the comments. It doesn't matter though because these are his greater strengths as ability power.

Now let me destroy those points before your very eyes.

Imba(lanced) damage from mushrooms even after their nerfs

No. Mushrooms may be good, but i have seen countless times, enemy teams getting an oracle's and rendering you useless. Now you might say that you are gonna place mushrooms inside brushes so that they will still own. Lets say you do. The only thing you are going to achieve is being annoying, rather than managing to kill someone, save the rare occasion someone with low life enters a brush in order to recall. Save this, you can no longer use your mushrooms before team fights, and you are heavilly crippled. What does this mean? Just tell me what are you gonna do in team fights? Get in every 6 seconds, fire a Blinding Dart and then back off? That's not what I mean by saying "team fight" Sure, you may be able to farm like there is no tommorow but what's the point in farming if you can not use properly the money you made? Not to mention the fact, that if the enemies build heavy magic resistance, which they will, your damage is immediately a joke.

Blinding Dart is a powerfull nuke

What? You wanna play like a mage? Ok give me 10 seconds to laugh...Ok now I am ready. Mage's are characters that deal heavy magic damage through their spells and abilities. Mage's also nuke. When I say nuke, I mean that they have the power to unload heavy damage to a single enemy and take him down very quickly. Teemo is not a mage. He only has one spell that may act as a nuke, and that single spell is on a 8 seconds duration, without counting cooldown reduction, with it, let's say 6 seconds. But you can not kill somebody by throwing a spell on him every 6 seconds. Sure that's what mages do, but mages ussualy have a Q, a W, a E, and an R (ultimate) for use while nuking. You don't. Get over with it.

Your damage is epic, when you acquire Lich Bane

What?!?!? Ok, Lich Bane rocks caster's socks. It rocks mine too. But most casters ussually proc it, right after they cast a spell. And they have so many spells. Teemo on the other hand can proc it, either by using Blinding Dart, or on the rare occasion that a mushroom detonates. This means that your use of it, will be small, and it will not serve you on its full potential.

Why Attack damage (ad) sucks like hell on teemo

Just don't play Teemo as ad. Before I go any further I would like you to know that teemo is NOT an Ad carry. And he sucks heavily when you play him so for two major reasons, which follow:
Teemo has an surprisingly small range of 500

This kinda sucks because Teemo is really squishy. You should already know that. Having 500 range means that you should go close to enemies. But this is not the case is it? Doesn't the as/on hit effects have to come close or what? It does have to come close but, check at the point below too
Teemo doesn't have any skills that empower his normal hits by giving him extra attack damage nor add any synergy to it.

I will say it again, and try to repeat after me. Teemo is not an attack damage carry. By saying so, I do not suggest that you can not play him as such, but it takes a special kind of idiot to do so. Why am I so absolute you may wonder so far. I am because, even if you do play him as ad, he is not worth the spot. Other ad carries such as Ashe, Caitlyn can do way better job than he does.
This way he is based on attack damage, making armor a very effective counter to him

Needless to say, that once enemies build some armor, which they will if they are good players and face a heavy attack damage enemy team, your damage will fall so dramatically, that it will be like it has fallen from a bridge. Before you begin whining about me being a noob because I ignore armor penetration, let me tell you that the attack speed/on hit effects build is, if not uncounterable, much more difficult to counter.

paperbatt

08-06-2012

bumb

paperbatt

08-06-2012

this is a guide

paperbatt

08-06-2012

bump

paperbatt

08-07-2012

bump w8ing for comments

Ooeiooeioo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2012

Too long and not very straightforward. Write a clear list of the recommended items, masteries and runes at the top before your novel and you may get more comments. It was so long I got bored before I finished and couldn't find your item build listed out anywhere.