Dodge Penalty

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redenbacher

08-06-2012

I agree with everything Discworld has said so far, nothing more to really say here.

The part I'd like to reiterate is that you are NOT losing the ability/choice to dodge. No one is taking that away from you, so stop it with the argument that you're 'stuck' with these particular types of 'trolls' and wasting 20-30 minutes of your precious time. (Time, by the way, you're already wasting because you're sitting in front of a computer, producing nothing of worth to anyone... Complaining you're wasting time while playing video games is like complaining you're on a diet while swallowing a Big Mac whole.)

You can still dodge. You'll lose a few minutes, but you're also guaranteed to not wind up in the same queue of individuals you just dodged..

Minaro

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redenbacher View Post
You can still dodge. You'll lose a few minutes, but you're also guaranteed to not wind up in the same queue of individuals you just dodged..
Quoted for the importance of the message. Without dodge penalties, you can actually end up with the same guy(s) again, depending on how long queue times you have and how quickly you can restart the client. Also, it's not entirely uncommon you and that guy will end up in a dodge-loop of sorts, where you eventually end up together again. With a penalty, unless by some odd chance the very guy who you dodged dodges another guy, you'll never end up with the same guy again. Even then, it's unlikely.

And as many people have stated, you will still be able to dodge the things you *really* don't want to play with, be it the person in question, the setup or even a certain champion. Be my guest and dodge for whatever reason you want, with a penalty involved, I know I'm unlikely to see you dodge me again for the same queue.

Psi21

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaIfhearted View Post
Oh, I'm fine with this.

Just dodge, and then wait your 5 minute penalty before you can requeue.
That way you don't have to deal with whatever it was you dodged, the person you dodged will already be in game, or at *least* a different lobby, and people who dodge for even the slightest reason will have a better reason to stay in queue and not piss me off.
Nah, because when it happens again in that same day the penalty is worse. So there goes that logic.

Quote:
Some of the flash/ignite SR guys have very high level mechanical skills. Yeah, their Dominion knowledge might be a bit off, but that doesn't stop them from being skilled players.
LOL, you are arguing that a high level SR player is going to come to dominion and not know that Revive is better than say Flashing over a wall only to waste 10 to 12 seconds to Blue Pill back and heal up? Wow... are you for real?! HA!

Quote:
Btw, if you always dodge Nidalees, you will never experience the *good* Nidalees.
I'm talking about that guy who hits at least 60-70% of his spears, traps up key points of the map to reveal people moving around in the jungle, gives you and your teammates clutch heals, and generally carries the game by himself.
What the hell does it matter if they hit 60% or 70% of the time they are still WASTING TIME sitting back hucking spearing every 6 seconds hoping to land a shot.

Who cares about her stupid traps they don't even show site unless stepped on where you could just have a champ that actually has a trap that not only provides site but CC at or before the speed strips.

And AP Nidalee hardly heals when she is so far back hucking stupid useless spears.

Quote:
I've also won a game where LITERALLY my entire team was ranged AD champs.
You can do almost anything in low-mid elo, if you and your team has the skill to pull it off.
I imagine anything can happen with a large enough serving size of games. But then their is the realization that there is a Norm.

Quote:
The only point of yours that I will agree with is #4.
I will not play with those *******s either, and will very gladly dodge them.
However, guys like that don't pop up too often, and I'm still more than willing to take a 5-minute dodge penalty to avoid that sort of trash.
Do you play league? Do know how many kids all think it is cool to racially slur every chance they get? Everyone is a David Chappelle fan (because its that generation in college) and the dodge penalty gets larger in the same day. I left SR because of this. And if you think ignore is the answer well my list is full.

Kierloway

08-06-2012

I understand some people might flee at the first sign of trouble but that's not what I'm talking about here. I don't mind a weak champion in dominion or supports for that matter. I leave when someone else decides they're going to follow that pick up with another weak champion and then someone else does the same thing. I don't play this game that way. If that is how the game was played, we'd all be running around playing 5xad carries, supports, or w/e. There are good team comps for a reason. I'm not saying to stick to some tried and true method, but I am saying that a lot of people don't use common sense when it comes to picking champions.

I don't generally lock in right away either, I try to communicate with people. It's not like I just drop because I want to waste my time. It's a pain in the butt sometimes but I realize that this is a team game and that everyone may not get to play exactly what they want, and that's fine with me. That being said, it's not fine with a lot of players and they'll ruin the game before it even starts and then rage at the entire team.

Maybe they could establish a dodge penalty in higher elo games, but where I'm at there are just far too many trolls/uneducated dominion players to deal with. I do try to let them know otherwise but they will say they don't care usually. I've gotten some to change here and there, but like I said, mostly it doesn't pan out. So, should I be punished for trying to make sure we have a good chance at winning? Maybe...but no more than a couple of minutes. Being able to dodge is pretty much the only tool I have to make sure our team has a good, fighting chance and that people don't rage out at each other. Now if other people have suggestions as to how to fix this issue, I'm listening...but until then, it's better to let us have some choice, at least at the lower elo levels.

HaIfhearted

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kierloway View Post
I don't mind a weak champion in dominion or supports for that matter.
Wait, are you implying supports are WEAK?!
You *are* aware that Lulu is considered one of the top OPs in Dominion, right?

I needa introduce you to a guy called Zimike. He is the captain of team Blind Pick Bandits, who have taken 1st place in several of the weekly DominionDominion tournaments.

He is also regarded as one of, if not the best support player in Dominion.

I imagine you have dodged a fair share of what are actually extremely strong teamcomps.

And you seen to be under the false impession that a dodge penalty is this big scary thing that keeps you out of the game forever.
It's not, it is just a 5 minute time-out to discourage dodging. Not that big a deal, but makes life so much more pleasant for the rest of us.

Kierloway

08-06-2012

No, but I knew that would come across that way so I was prepared. I mean to say if you pick a support and then another and another...its not a good idea. I like supports plenty, but I dont think teams need three of them. Two maybe depending on the comp.

Kierloway

08-06-2012

Honestly if people were willing to explain their positions when I ask them politely in champion select, I would probably be more willing to see some comps. But they don't answer, they just ignore me and then wait to rage in game at the team. It's just stupid.

HaIfhearted

08-06-2012

Quote:
No, but I knew that would come across that way so I was prepared. I mean to say if you pick a support and then another and another...its not a good idea. I like supports plenty, but I dont think teams need three of them. Two maybe depending on the comp.
You just reminded me of a game I saw the other day.
The teamcomp was literally 4 supports and Ezreal.

They owned. Hard.

The combination of heals and shields being constantly spammed on Ezreal combined with the train of CC and debuffs and auras just completely overwhelmed the enemy team.

Kierloway

08-06-2012

And how often does this happen? If it was generally a workable strategy then I would think it would've been acknowledged by the community at large. That doesn't mean it can't work, its just not the norm.

HaIfhearted

08-06-2012

Quote:
And how often does this happen? If it was generally a workable strategy then I would think it would've been acknowledged by the community at large. That doesn't mean it can't work, its just not the norm.
Workable strategies aren't usually obvious. The community has to figure them out.

The SR meta used to put the AD carry mid and have a kill lane or something bot, but then I think some EU guys tried putting the AD bot and that eventually became the new meta.

My point is, how do you know that 4 support 1 carry is bad if you personally have never tried it and don't even bother to think about it?

You come across as an extremely close-minded person who has a very narrow definition of what is "good" and who is unwilling to look past that or even give other things a try.

And regardless, despite your opinion that we don't need a dodge penalty, the majority disagrees with you, so that's that.