Dying as Support...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KneeShot

08-05-2012

You need to consider what can you do to help those who give their back to you

take your case as the example
Lulu can polymorph the enemy which can either shut down the damage dealer or get your team a kill
if you find your teammates tends to go for a greedy kill and often ignore someone at their back
considering Lulu's kit, you should hold the enemy back as long as you can

why? for example, you used your slow on the low health enemy for your teammates to catch up
that means you have your polymorph and shield and ult up
if any enemy approaches in the middle of the fight, face the enemy
shield yourself and polymorph your enemy, AAs
buy your teammates time for them to kill or protect you

Lulu's strength against enemy carries, I would say, lays in health baiting
you have mobility, CCs and also an ult which gives instant health
the exciting health bait games would make your enemies rage and improve your skills
but you need to know Lulu's limit and how to build her

as a support, your job is to keep your ADC alive
and if your jungler approaches, you have to do the set up for ganking
when the gank is in progress, you still need to do damage, keep your allies alive
AND most importantly, stop counter ganking

support is somehow the hardest role to master
keep it up

extra note: never, ever go beyond the gap between the two bushes of the bot lane if you don't have boots or no river wards

Powerstoned

08-05-2012

If you're dying early and often enough as support, i have a few suggestions that may be different than what you're doing:

Flat armor seals, mr per lvl glyphs, move speed quints. You pick the Marks, i suggest something offensive like armpen or attackspeed marks (if you are autoattacking enemy champs alot) or mpen(which is possibley the best if you play a bit more passively and mostly use abilities on enemy champs).

9(either mpen or armpen)/21/0 (I'm not saying to build tanky, but this setup does provide a decent buffer, no matter how you build items)
heal/flash or heal/ghost. Again, we're tailoring this for you and your teammate to stay alive first.

start regrowth pendant/mana potion (you may get a few whiners that say "where's the ward? gg", just tell them "first back i'll get one" and then to quit whining if they keep going) It'll keep you alive better.

then, when you have almost 440gold, go back for your first time, complete the philostone(365 more after the regrowthpendant) and buy a ward(75) and get back there asap and set up your ward. You'll be either just level 5, or just level 6 when you go back for your first time, provided no deaths had occured yet.

Step 2ish - Gameplay

Take the point position on harassing the enemy with autoattacks away from you, away from last hitting&xp, away from your teammate, and try and control the lane right at level 1 (supports have the same dps and stats as many champs at lvl1, so don't be overly scared of a malphite or vayne if you're lulu or sona at lvl1). Even if you're a support, levels 1-3,4 you can do plenty of damage to enemies just with aggressive autoattacking. Eventually you'll have to back off on it, but as a support, harassment is one of your best tools early game.

Level 3C - items
After philostone, you can buy boots. As support you have the most options. I would love to be able to pick Sorc Boots everytime, but ninja tabi/merctreds/cdr boots whatever.
Early game get a aegis or zeke's if you're not in danger of dying

Ethri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2012

Ok, I'll go one at a time.....

@thepantsparty
I'll have to consider doing this, I'm so used to trying to assist the team in getting their kill craving satisfied quickly that I whimsy them first.

@powwder/ Darktides625
I've played Lulu quite a bit, but I will consider trying those champions out on their free week. I do know all that stuff Dark, thanks though for helping anyone else that may be reading it. I'll take up your offer of friendship too!

@Knee Shot
I don't know what to say... I feel as though I do all this but it doesn't work out. I may have to stop playing blind pick normals because teammates don't know how to get above 20 cs in 10 minutes and insist on pushing the lane hard even if I'm pinging them back because my ward revealed an imminent jungler.

@Powerstoned
I may go back to using magic pen marks, but I am currently set up with 9 flat armor marks, 5 flat mp regen seals/ 4 flat armor seals, 4 flat magic resist glyphs, 5 mr/lvl gyphs, and 3 gp/10 quints. I used to go hp quints, all armor seals but the extra gold helps with all the wards I place. I also go 0/8/22 for the extra support masteries, I have no clue how you can go without gp/10 mastery maxed... and I am very skeptical about not starting with wards especially with the number of blitzcranks I've been laning against lately.

VoiceOfUnreason

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethri View Post
I don't know what to say... I feel as though I do all this but it doesn't work out. I may have to stop playing blind pick normals because teammates don't know how to get above 20 cs in 10 minutes and insist on pushing the lane hard even if I'm pinging them back because my ward revealed an imminent jungler.
If your ELO is anywhere near mine (20 cs in 10 minutes sure does *sound* familiar), one thing to keep in mind is that your AD probably has less experience in AD+support lanes than you do (you are always in a support lane, but they are sometimes/often with another pusher).

I make a point of typing out the plan during opening minute of the game, to make sure that I've told my lane mate what to expect - where and when I intend to ward (usually near side brush), what order I'm taking spells. I should probably tell them that I'm going to prep the caster creeps too.

Darktides625

Recruiter

08-06-2012

You could play like I do and have a friend come over and play with you or get a group of your friends on skype and just poop on everyone :P

FlowyS

08-06-2012

If your allies are really bad like walking into a 1 vs 2 while chasing a 10 hp ally that they will never in a million years ever catch, then it might not be wise to play support.

If you still insist on playing support, I recommened a 21 defense, 9 utility mastery. Grab 3 gold/5 Quints, 9 Armor Yellow, and 9 Magic Resist Blues to help out your squishness. Build something like Philo -> Boots -> HoG -> Aegis. Don't build Shurelya first since Aegis gives your more tanky stats and it will help you from dying.

OdinLegend

08-07-2012

Normally I don't mind sacrificing myself for the AD carry, but in this case your AD carry would be in the wrong. They should stick with their supports to get the most out of them and should only chase if it's a sure kill that doesn't involve chasing for a long minute run. Keep following and protecting your carry but if he goes too far back off, he is risking it for both of you.