Dying as Support...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ethri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2012

While I play games I almost always die for the same reason. As a support I usually can't afford good boots for quite some time, which doesn't help playing a support Lulu with the lowest base movement speed.

These speed factors usually result in me being left behind to be killed while my allies go chasing after some low hp enemy. They seemingly ignore the full hp enemy lane partner as they walk right by them. Since they are getting auto attacked by this full hp enemy I often shield them and use whimsy so they can either run away or finish the kill in greed (often ends up being the latter )

If we won a team fight, I do the same steps to allow them to clean up until someone comes from behind to murder me while the other 4 members of my team are ahead chasing after some guy that is almost dead.

Even trying to save people, I ping not to go in (then they go in), so I shield, whimsy, ulti, glitterlance, exhaust anyone running too fast. My ally usually gets away with 40hp or so left if they go in against 3 people and if they try to run, while I am left to die. If they don't run, well... that is a free double kill for the enemy team.

From what I have described, does anyone have any tips or pointers regarding what I may be doing wrong? It's no fun following my team just to have a Master Yi/ Poppy murder me when I fall a bit behind because of my speed. There is an apparent need for 4 teammates to chase and kill 1 enemy with 40hp.

ProPlayerEd

08-05-2012

Normally, a support just sticks with tier 1 boots, 2 GP/5 items and wards for the majority of early and mid game. Yes, you will be slow but try to put yourself in a nice position where you can reach all allies while constantly moving.

If your winning the fight, you want to progressively move toward the enemy but the opposite if it looks as though your all gonna die. The correct position isn't just for the ADC but the support must be in the right spot to constantly protect your allies.

When I'm a support, I know I probably will die since I can't count on my ADC to be safe 24/7. You should be dying for your allies since there worth more to the team than you.

Ex. If were in a fight and my ADC is dying, I will do what I can to get him/her out and safe but if I die in the process, It's ok, because they can possibly rejoin the fight and deal more damage and win us the fight at the cost of my life.

Hope this helps

Ethri

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2012

I understand sacrificing myself for the ADC. I understand living/ dying in team fights.

My issue is with (1-4) people being extremely greedy to get a kill while I'm left being hopelessly attacked by the guy who was ignored/ not focused.

NewRelicspet

08-05-2012

If you got 4 teammates chasing 1 guy with no health, then your mates aren't too bright.

Ethri

08-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRelicspet View Post
If you got 4 teammates chasing 1 guy with no health, then your mates aren't too bright.
I realize this, but is there anything I can deal with this? It seriously happens too often. I even remember a game where an AP poppy would wait for her team to lose a team fight and then get fed off me being a straggler behind the team, while everyone was chasing the survivors.

NewRelicspet

08-05-2012

Yeah, tell your team to not be that stupid? That's about it.

Ethri

08-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewRelicspet View Post
Yeah, tell your team to not be that stupid? That's about it.
I'm sure people won't find that comment offensive at all. I'll see what I can do, thanks!

thepantsparty

08-05-2012

If someone does something idiotic like fighting 1v3, just walk away and let them die.

If your team is abandoning you after fights, whimsy yourself instead of them and either run to them or back to safety.

powwder

08-05-2012

the best advice i can give is try different supports. each support works in different ways and maybe another supports kit will work better for you.

for example i completely suck with janna, sona, leona, taric

but when i play blitz i do really well. something about his kit makes him mesh better with my playstyle.

the only other advice is play more games and get more experience with your favorite supports. the more you play, the better you get at positioning, when to use what spells, who to use them on etc. it will suck and no matter how good you are you might get a crappy team but theres only so much you can do, do your best if it doesn;t work out, o well next game.

Darktides625

Recruiter

08-05-2012

Try Taric, Sona, or Soraka. Unlike ProPlayerED up there I never have to sacrifice myself when I play those 3 champs because I keep them so well up :P I main support so here is some advice for you buddy. Ward EVERYTHING! Then you can have the vision to know if you need to start backing up. Next, yes you will spend a good bit of early to mid game with gp10 items. Go for philosphers stone and heart of gold these will help your income. Build your philosphers into Shyralias and build your heart of gold into locket of the iron solari. These 2 items will not only give you impressive regen rates on both health and mana but shyralias will give you a 40% movement speed buff on activation for like 3 seconds which is enough to either escape or catch up with someone. Locket of the Iron Solari's active puts a shield around all nearby allies including yourself absorbing damage making it a great clutch engagement turning item.
Ok so after talking about those items if you go with Taric you will get a nice armor buff from his W and a clutch stun with his E and not to mention a pretty decent heal with his Q. A well timed stun on the ADC can change and entire engagement for your teams favor.
If you go Sona you will have no problem escaping because her E's passive is a movement speed buff and your W is a nice heal for your team mates. She also has a very nice mass stun for her ult which also now thanks to the new patch does some burst damaged as well. A well positioned Sona who knows how to rotate her buffs will be able to keep her teammates alive throughout team fights.
Finally if you chose Soraka then whoever you lane with will never have to leave lane except to buy new items. Her W which is her heal becomes probably the best heal in the game as you poor levels into it. You have the ability to heal someone late game all the way back to full health from almost nothing if you build Soraka appropriately. Also her E is gives mana back to your allies and becomes very powerful with only a few points placed into it. Soraka's E can also in return silence an enemy if you target an enemy instead of an ally which can be just in team fights to get a move in on the enemy before they can cast back.
Sorry if this is stuff that you already know but I figured I would post this for people who might be new to the game and want to know some info on, in my opinion, the top support champs. Hopefully though this was helpful to you in some way Feel free to add me in game if you ever have any questions! Darktides625