Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So About That Deathcap Replacement...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rebonack

08-05-2012

Mages have a couple rather glaring issues on Dominion. The primary issue is that they're balanced around the assumption that they'll be packing Blue Buff and a Blue Elixir pretty much at all times and as such their items are sorta gimped as a result.

Or rather.

Deathcap, the core item on pretty much every AP carry ever, is gimped.

We need a replacement for this item. Something that's easier to build. Something that offers a bit of durability (because glass cannon AP doesn't work here. Srs).

So here's the idea.

Take Haunting Guise (HP, AP, MR Pen, easy to build) and squash it together with a Blasting Wand. Throw on a combine cost. Give it 'Increases your Ability Power by 30%' as a unique passive. Fiddle with the AP and HP the combine gives you.

Congrats! Mages now have a solid replacement for Deathcap that doesn't gimp them for a goodly part of the game while they assemble it and doesn't leave them more fragile than Glass Joe's jaw.

HaIfhearted

08-05-2012

I'd rather just have Blasting Wand + Amp Tomb + 1000g combine.
Sound familiar? That's cause that's the recipe for Void Staff.

What I want is an item with the exactly build as Void Staff, but that trades the % pen for % AP.
This way I can choose to itemize more AP against low-MR teams, instead of deciding whether I want to spend needlessly large amounts of gold on a Needlessly Large Rod.

Lindre

08-05-2012

Do the same thing for Infinity Edge too.

Catnium

08-05-2012

Quote:
Rebonack:
Mages have a couple rather glaring issues on Dominion. The primary issue is that they're balanced around the assumption that they'll be packing Blue Buff and a Blue Elixir pretty much at all times and as such their items are sorta gimped as a result.

No they are not balanced around blue buff they are actually balanced around you having mana5 runes , blue buff is just an ez mode way to get around that issue and pack other runes.

other than that i fully agree , we need better ap items in general not just for dominion, also could do with some variation in ad caster items and even ad carry items.

Rebonack

08-05-2012

Quote:
Catnium:
No they are not balanced around blue buff they are actually balanced around you having mana5 runes , blue buff is just an ez mode way to get around that issue and pack other runes.

other than that i fully agree , we need better ap items in general not just for dominion, also could do with some variation in ad caster items and even ad carry items.

Blue buff gives tremendous MP/5 in addition to a significant amount of CDR.

Between Runes, Masteries, Blue Elixer, and Blue Buff a Mage on summoner's rift has all the MP/5 and Cooldown Reduction they'll ever need. This allows them to focus purely on amping their AP as much as possible. And the longer time between team fights means that they have their Ult ready on a more reliable basis.

On top of that Mages unusually have a level advantage on soft targets of choice (Support and Rangers) which likewise makes it easier for them to do their job. None of these advantage are available on the Crystal Scar and thus Mages need items that will make up for it.

Infirc

08-05-2012

Quote:
Rebonack:

Between Runes, Masteries, Blue Elixer, and Blue Buff a Mage on summoner's rift has all the MP/5 and Cooldown Reduction they'll ever need. This allows them to focus purely on amping their AP as much as possible. And the longer time between team fights means that they have their Ult ready on a more reliable basis.

On top of that Mages unusually have a level advantage on soft targets of choice (Support and Rangers) which likewise makes it easier for them to do their job. None of these advantage are available on the Crystal Scar and thus Mages need items that will make up for it.

riot design the game, players often find a way to break it, i mean not even rioters are rally familiar with the DOminion meta and even them took ad mids on those times before players started taking AP to mid, mages were designed with the blue buff in mind which holds even more true for Anivia but most of them were balanced around the idea of having mp5 runes hence why on the earlier champ spotlights phreak takes them on many mages instead of the now removed dodge runes.

Infirc

08-05-2012

Quote:
Rebonack:

riot designs the game, players often find a way to break it, i mean not even rioters are really familiar with the DOminion meta and even them took ad mids on those times before players started taking AP to mid, mages were designed with the blue buff in mind which holds even more true for Anivia but most of them were balanced around the idea of having mp5 runes hence why on the earlier champ spotlights phreak takes them on many mages instead of the now removed dodge runes.

you can aslo take the same logic to champions, see SHyvana malphite, Mundo and ezreal for example

Malphite: Malphite was the first tanky guy i "fell in love" with when i started playing, it was also a malphite free week but every time i tried to pick malph everyone raged at me dodged me or told me to pick another thing because malphite was considered really Up at that moment (that was the past july when Leona was new), he didn't receive any buffs whatsoever and i didn't unlock malph because everyone told me to save my ip for better things, suddenly a high elo discovers how to rock with malphite and he's deemed op and nerfed (DOminion community also has her hands on it but i bet it was mostly becaus eof the high elo and his participation on the lates tourneys)

Shyvana:when she came out everyone said, yeah cool concept fast clear time but you know? she has rage problems and her ganks sux ass, she can't even kill anyone, however some guy was "stubborn" enough to keep jungling with her until he discovered a reliable skill order, build and way to gank which leaded to one of the best junglers, same cas applies ffor Mundo, i had never seen a jungling mundo, or a Mundo at all until this year when they discovered mundo's power and then Mundo got nerfed.

Ezreal: SOme time ago a high elo player questioned the viability and strenght of Ezreal and made the playerbase rage and cry for Ez buffs, they got what they wanted on a small fashion Riot reducin Mystic shot's mana cost by 10 at all Ranks and reduced the cooldown on rue shot Barrage, they released pfe giving former ezreal mains a reason to play Ez againm and loyal ezreal mains a reason to continue playing Ez, lately those guys that are actually good with ez have been Facestomping on every mode but the treeline and the forums are rampaging for Ezreal nerfs, more than the typical hundred of threads asking to nerf Darius daily, and what are the sr players doing is simply not rushing triforce nor sheen

Rebonack

08-05-2012

I have this nagging feeling that you're trying to make a point of some kind but I honestly can't figure out what it is.

AbsolutePK

08-05-2012

Since we're on the subject of new items, how about that Sheen+Brutalizer item that was brought up in a TForce thread a while ago.

Would be great.

DiscworldDeath

08-05-2012

Infirc, a couple of points for you:

1. Phreak said about mana regen runes, that players got better at controlling their mana.
2. Shyvana and Mundo got major buffs, by way of the jungle rework.

Rebonack, his point is Riot doesn't always know what's best.