Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Champion Background vs. (In-game) Reality

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AstorSapolsky

09-11-2010

Upon my arguing with some of the staff of the Journal of Justice, I began wondering about the champion backgrounds. Is what we read to be accepted as fact? I don't want some "who knows, always question reality!" answer, but in all honesty.
Having seen Malzahar's background as a third party, do I know more as a Summoner about who he truly is than the speculative voices of the Journal? Are the backgrounds a word of God that the Journal doesn't have access to? Have you seen my bear Tibbers?

Petrichor1

09-11-2010

No, Yes, and yes he is right on top of me eating my spleen, to answer your questions........

Zzilb

09-11-2010

Yes. I would definitely say the backgrounds provide more intel to players than summoners. I think this becomes quite obvious when we talk about Icathia. Its pretty spelled out that people dont really know where Icathia is. How could this be the case if all it took to find it was offering Kog'maw a really big steak?

Theres also the idea that everyone in Runeterra may not have access to information. I havnt seen any word of a Runeterran internet on which Morgana blogs about her day inbetween sharing her cooking recipes. How could a humble fishmonger find out what she really thinks?

Summoners may be higher on the ladder than fishmongers, but I really think theres a spectrum here. Summoners vie for power, influence, and political ideas. There has to be a bottom and a top to this food chain. It would be unreasonable to suggest all it takes is putting on your wizard hat to summon Garen and pick his mind. To that end, I also feel theres probably a firm disconnect between the gaming reality of playing a few rounds to get enough IP to unlock someone, and the storyline reality of that process. Its due underlining.

I wouldnt say its at all unreasonable to think being in a position to summon Garen would entail a better understanding of him than our fishmonger friend, but the story of the world doesnt hold up if there are a thousand fights on summoners rift daily in which Garen is present, yknow?

Now, with that said, we shouldnt take the term 'Legends' lightly just because theres a league full of them. These are probably the most prolific entities in the country. The journal is a demonstration of how that country could be expected to look upon them, just as we would look upon, say, Obama.. Always seeking to spread the word of their exploits, and whos makin kisses with who..
So. Its a delicate balance.

In the article 'UnaVoidable Musings (Believe Me, I’ve Tried)' by 'L.B. Briskes', we find a snarky reporter esteemed enough to write for the journal was also esteemed enough to meet with the void characters, but walked away with no insight. This may be a fine example of how much they really care to share.

AstorSapolsky

09-11-2010

I'm not sure what to say in response other than thanks, this really cleared most everything up. No further questions.

Although,

Quote:
Zzilb:
It would be unreasonable to suggest all it takes is putting on your wizard hat to summon Garen and pick his mind.

Robe and wizard hat. Know your references.

Zzilb

09-12-2010

Robe and wizard hat? Just what are you intending to do with Garen, you saucy minx?

-- Discussion is greater than Lecture. This thread is really representative of something ive thought a lot about. This thread questions a sort of code of conduct, and I would really love for you, the person who is reading this Right Now, to share your thoughts on how to go about these matters of background. (If nothing else someone should simplify my point because I talk like a dam lawyer.)

You see.. I consider good [RP] to be a celebration of established lore rather than a chance to rewrite it in our own image, but its tricky. Ohso tricky. The lore is full of really colorful and attractive concepts, and a glance around this board proves people Want to interact with them. The void, in particular, holds a lot of mystery and storytelling.. But to describe your adventures in Icathia is as against established lore as writing the tale of how you destroyed Demacia with your greater-than-9000 power.

Kin to that sense of wanting to progress/explore the story is a desire of greatness. The majority doesnt Want to be humble fishmongers, do they? Not when they could be Sir Zhang Radamanthanominof, Lord of House Radamanthanominof; Most noted of the Demacian Noble Houses, Summoner of great esteem, Explorer of voids.

Blending the two is just a mess. It really is. Its as much unthinkably bad form for me to tromp into an RP about void exploration and declare it noncannon as it is for the blatantly noncannon to tromp into a lore friendly RP and blow up Demacia.

I was amused when everyone sort of followed Reira's example and created interesting career signatures, but those signatures make little sense if the setting isnt some sort of summoner bulletin board. What, do all Institute employees wear handy nametags on their robes? ;P
It demonstrated a sense of cooperative will, though! Group hug.

(Incidentally, I wonder if Reira was secretly Shurelia making good on Baba's hints that the JOJ staff might play along, or if shes just an opportunistic player who snatched up the name. It doesnt matter to me either way, but its interesting to wonder about.)