List & Theorycraft of bruiser supports.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XCodes

08-04-2012

Popular examples of what I'm talking about:

Taric
Nunu
Blitzcrank
Alistar

I'm looking for more champs like these, since I really like the playstyle and in so many of my games these guys are always getting banned/picked before me (I've played Taric in something like 8 of my last 10 games because he was literally the only one left from the above list).

Also, I think a greater diversity of these guys will help a lot in picking the best possible support for a given ADC/runepage/etc.

Other champs I'm pretty certain are totally legit in this capacity:

Leona
Nautilus (more ban bait lol)
Jarvan IV

Champs I think are legit, but I would like more input on:

Darius - His abilities honestly have pretty mediocre AD scaling, and his base stats give him some solid tankiness for a support. His E->W Combo also pulls the enemy out of position and sets up your ADC to do quite a bit of damage before they can get away. The only issue here is that there's not much reason to play this when you can do Blitzcrank instead.

Galio - His Q actually has high base damage, and both his W and E really help the ADC get in more damage of their own to secure kills. His level 6 is almost like free double kills for your ADC, and his abilities scale off of some really good Support/Tank items like Aegis and Abyssal.

Rammus - 3 second AoE Taunt. Rammus just screams "Buy merc treads or I'm going to eat you."

cpandarun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2012

Dr. Mundo Garen Gangplank Pantheon Lee Sin Malphite Moakai Poppy Shen Volibear.

XCodes

08-04-2012

^ Ok, no. I will never even bother trying half the champs you just mentioned. The only ones I can even think of being remotely good are Maokai and Panth. MAYBE Garen if you just want to roflstomp the lane and be absolutely worthless from 10 minutes on.

AlphariusRising

08-04-2012

Gangplank is a good support for his ability to Harass, sustain, and give that buff off his E. Get an Avarice blade to troll people with your Q sometimes, and that global ult secures you assists.

Darius has the problem of KSing with his passive, and being pure melee he can't zone as hard as GP.

J4 needs items. Rammus would work, I guess, but the problem is with his powerball he's better off in the jungle, since he can come in for amazing ganks. and he needs to be farmed to be on the same level of tank as Alistar.

cpandarun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2012

The biggest problem with the champs I listed is that they need to get kills or assists to be effective from mid game on. Honestly though they can all be successful as support and have seen them all work in varying degrees of success and failure.

Essieu

08-05-2012

Leona and Naut are you're best bets.

tempnameA704

08-05-2012

Lee Sin actually isn't horrible as a support. I wouldn't call him competitive tier but you could definitely win some games with him down there and he's pretty fun.

Leona is really good.

I don't like Darius, Rammus, or Galio as supports for the same reason I think Alistar is an only ok support choice, because they are better in other places right now. I don't like the Rammus support idea much at all really. Darius I don't like much at all anywhere really.

I'm sure you could probably win some games with Galio support the same as Lee Sin, he just isn't ideal there.

tl;dr You should probably pick up Leona.

Powerstoned

08-05-2012

I don't like Galio on bot lane or as a support. Galio needs to either build mr or ap. Against mostly AD damage from the opposing adc, you don't need MR, and you're not gaining enough gold to buy good AP items in a decent amount of time.

An oddball melee/bruiser not mentioned i could suggest as support is Sejuani(though like blitz/ali you'll need some bush control). She's not terribley item dependant so you can get some HoG Boot's Philo starting items, and while she better in the jungle, post 6, she'll make bot a kill lane.

Essieu

08-05-2012

The most important thing to think of when choosing a new support champ is.

How effective will I be with 0 farm, and hopefully no kills.

So J4 needs gold.
Darius needs gold.
Galio needs gold.
Lee Sin needs gold, and scales off late game even with gold. (but having him in bottom as a "support" works well. But he doesnt build any differently and just plays really aggro.)

XCodes

08-05-2012

I'm not seeing any theorycraft here, just some subjective standards being applied.

Let's take an example: what is it that J4 does that makes it such that he "needs gold?" Is a passive AS buff and 3 CC abilities not enough to be a decent support?