Maokai

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zeryz

08-04-2012

I need some advice.
Build+low level jungling+skill leveling order if anyone would be so kind.

Velpro

08-04-2012

Finally some maokai love. <3

Ok so my jungle Maokai has 0/9/21 making sure to get CDR in Utility.

I use AS Reds, Armor Yellows, AP Blues, and AP Quints.

Route goes like this: Wraiths -> drop 3 saplings and auto attack the big one twice to kill. Then move on to Blue Golem and make sure your team is waiting for you because you will be there at around 1:55. Then go Wolves->Wraiths->Red OR Mid Gank->Golems

Build goes as follows: Grab a regrowth pendant + 1 health pot. This will get you through the initial route and insure a philo stone on the first trip back. I always grab boots + philo stone first time back; along with wards (if i got the money). After philo i ussually focus a HoG, and after that i grab a Glacial Shroud -> Frozen Heart. Also grabbing an Aegis of the Legion is perfect. After your Frozen Heart everything is situational, it all depends on the enemy and your team. I sometimes grab an Abyssal Sceptar for more power, and debuffs, but you can get anything.

General Tips for skilluse:
When ganking i like to throw a sapling behind the target and then snare them with W, immediately after i Q the target and by then they are probably screwed.
Be sure to always use your Ult anytime there is a fight. It reduces ALL dmg by 20% and has a short CD 30s+. Maokai makes a huge impact on teamfights with his Ult, and making sure to place it in a correct position is key.

Enjoy your time with Maokai Jungle. If you have any issues call this toll free number at 555-666-9984.9

But seriously i hope you enjoy it, he is one of the least used/most effective junglers. Add me if you want to play sometime. Please dont think im a god, because i honestly suck pretty often at LoL, but i just love it.

Essieu

08-06-2012

^^^ Pretty much nailed it. But im here in fill in some other options.

1. If you want a lvl 2 gank (which I personally love) take Q first and start wolves then Blue. If you want to do this. I also recommend taking armor and 5 health pots. So if it fails and you wind up a little low, you have some nice jungle sustain besides your passive. Isnt needed. But if your just learning, can help quite a bit.

2. I personally take Magic Penetration Marks, and Magic Resist Per level Glyphs.

I take the Magic penetration, because I love those level 2 ganks. And those will make you hurt a lot more than AS reds. BUT AS reds, will improve your jungle speed by a little bit and are a super good second choice.

I actually disagree with the Glyphs because if you gank mid, and things go poorly, without those Glyphs. Your probably going to die. So I run MR per level on all my junglers. And really the AP only helps with jungle clear a teeny tiny bit.

3.Depending on if I'm doing well or not, I will get a Kage's Lucky Pick, the GP10 is awesome and a little ap never hurt anyone. NOTE: I base this off of the lanes. If there are a lot of kills in the lanes, then they will have more gold, and do more damage. So I dont have time to mess around with more GP10 and need to be tanky. Basically, if your having problems surviving, dont get a Kage's.

4. Early oracles. Normally Mao isnt seen as much of a snowball jungler. But if you get far enough ahead where you can buy a Oracles and still be tanky enough to survive engagements. Than you can control the whole map easily. And it makes ganking cake obviously.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2012

He said low level jungling. That means you either have to prep your blue or get a really good leash, as armour runes aren't in the equation.

Amoc

08-07-2012

Don't take Magic Pen runes on Mao. That's such a waste. He's not a carry. Pick attack-speed reds on him. It helps him clear jungle faster early and it makes him tankier later in the game.

Armor Yellows and MR/Lvl blues. AP quints are probably best as you need them to clear wraiths at the start but AS quints can work too.

Regrowth pendant + pot or Cloth 5 are both good starts for him IMO.

I start by prepping wraiths with saplings and land the last one just as they spawn. BOOM they're dead and then you head over to blue where people should be protecting and waiting to leash.

Skill order should be E -> Q -> W (for early gank) and then R-> E -> Q-> W from there on.

As for ganking, someone mentioned throwing a sapling behind your opponent before running in. You don't want to do this. This just provides early warning to the enemy laner, slows you down and it could still miss as well. When I started playing Mao I blew so many ganks because of this, and I see so many people do it still. Instead, run in behind him and open with W. Follow up with E then (which will not miss) and Q which will further ensure a full combo and you're looking much better. The only time you want to open with E is if the enemy is so brutally over-extended that he has no chance of avoiding you at all.

Velpro

08-07-2012

^^

"As for ganking, someone mentioned throwing a sapling behind your opponent before running in. You don't want to do this."

Meant behind as in next to them, but behind them so it lands the impact dmg and if they run it still explodes. Not behind as in like 20ft away from em.