About the Grail and Galio

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Windless Bear

08-03-2012

At the time when Athene's Unholy Grail was released there was also a nerf to Galio's AP ratio on his Q, Resolute Smite, from .7 to .6 of AP.

I remember someone explaining that because the Chalice was always a key item in Galio's build the Q's ratio was reduced to compensate for the AP boost from the new Grail.

Is this true? And if it is, why is it justified? The Grail is usable on many, many, champions and it is an amazing item I am glad to see added to the game. But why should one champion in particular have to suffer for it while all others benefit? Galio now has .6 as his highest AP ratio while still having such high early game mana costs.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

Autocthon

08-03-2012

Actually it was because he got good AP while building tanky, and his builds opened up a little (wit ha strong AP boost) with the inclusion of grail.

Champs have to be balanced with items in mind. Going BV or FoN over chalice is still fine, but AP galio should be building chalice core. Where before he got much less AP from that slot.

Windless Bear

08-03-2012

That is a good argument, but I'm still just not really satisfied... anyone else can take the Grail too. I guess I just hate to see Galio lose anything at all when his ratios are so 'meh' as it is.

Vuther

08-03-2012

I'm pretty sure they didn't target Galio's Q nerf due to the Grail. Mana wasn't exactly a huge issue for him late-game anyway without the chalice, the grail mostly just means you won't have to sell the chalice later now.

Autocthon

08-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelkelion View Post
That is a good argument, but I'm still just not really satisfied... anyone else can take the Grail too. I guess I just hate to see Galio lose anything at all when his ratios are so 'meh' as it is.
Other champs didn't gain as much FROM grail as galio did. And he was already in a very strong position is an all-purpose mid counter.

Consider that galio w/ grail gained approximately 100 AP over previous builds. On a champ who easily reaches 150ish AP while building tank already (Abyssal + BV or FoN is common)

He lost ratio because he was strong and Grail's release was making him stronger. HE likely would have lost ratio *anyway*

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

08-04-2012

It's because Galio gets AP from both the AP (90 AP no less, nothing to sneeze at) while also getting some from the MR through his passive. This is on top of the fact that, simply by building a Grail, his mana problems become non-existant, and through clever use of minion aggro, he gains unlimited health sustain through Bulwark in the lane. Also while having one of the best AoE CC spells in the game.

The nerf was justified in the face of all that he was gaining.