Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Melee is Hard!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MelReinH

08-03-2012

I need some tips for this. I am TERRIBLE with melee characters. I tend to die a lot since im not used to getting close to the champion. Im normally using Ranged champs, but the majority of assassins, fighters, and tanks, are Melee. It turns into a problem for me since there are those moments where its all: We need a tank, and we all locked in!
I have Amumu, Rammus, and Poppy. In pvp and intermediate bots, i tend to die a lot with these champions... I plan to get more melee types like Fizz or something, but its pointless if i just end up dying and feeding the entire game.

Anyone got tips for me in using a melee champion?

Judas Priest

08-03-2012

I would like to know it too, I am very bad with close combat champions.... I do fine with ranged AD and AP champions, but with chars like Jax, Garen, Master Yi etc I'm terrible.

Ouroborous HD

Recruiter

08-03-2012

trick to winning with melee champs is to make sure your enemy will die if you decide to commit to a fight. having said that if you just try to batter down an enemy from the beginning they will pubstomp you by juking you and hitting you with abilities. as for amumu and rammus they arent melee champs they are tanks, they arent meant to deal damage they are meant to soak it up for their team so of course they will die alot. for tanks build lots of armor, magic resist, and health. for melee champs you want to grab a little extra damge early game then work on making yourself beefy. good item for melee champs is wriggles lantern and phage. both give AD, lantern gives armor, lifesteal, and a free ward. phage gives you a decent health boost and the possibility of cc on your basic attacks. just remember build AD but you also need to be able to survive a fight.

Lajinn5

08-03-2012

try to trick your enemies, for example, if your opponent is stupid let them hit you once or twice, retreat into a bush, and jump on them when they chase, jumping out of bushes or jumping them from the side helps alot

Inmund

08-03-2012

You will need to learn when to atack will be good for you, you need to go in make some damage and go back before being hitted; if you are lanning against a range and a melee you will more probably hitting their melee when doing this, but you will need your range to hit them while you go back so you wont get too much damage and make your dive in worthless and dangerous; if you are lanning agains two ranges then you will really need your range to leave you some minions and hit the further ones because you will rarely hit minions when the other team is atacking; if the other teams is really agressive and you know you cant go out your turret (having a blitz or some really annoying champ) then i recomend you to get an Avarive Blade or some item with gold per sec, so you will get the money you cant get from last hitting minions. Dont play agressive if they have too much crowd control or you will probably get killed at early lvls. If you see your enemies are far away each other then is the best moment to atack do some damage and go back before they can regroup, doing this atack with your lane mate would be the best option to avoid a counteratack.
Talking about champs you can use agile one such as: Fiora (whose combo is dash in "Q" [double dash on a champion or second dash to get out] and parry "W" that will save you from some basic atack damage, you can also use her "E" that gives you more movement and atack speed but you will use to much mana in each atack this way; you can also use parry to last hit some minions without getting hitted by their range); Wukong (using [i think is the] "E" to go in, "Q" to hit harder and "W" to get stealth and get back safe); Fizz (i dont know very well this champ but i think he has the dive in and the jump that makes you untargeteable to go back). Jax has a bit less mobility but jumping in, stuning and dodging the damage in the way back should work to do more damage than you recive. Now talking about champs with low mobility such as Tryndamere you will need to avoid being hitted when you are awkwardly walking around , save Tryndamere`s dash to a fast atack (which is really dangerous since you dont have how to run away later) or more often to quickly get away from their range`s hits and some area damage, try to atack (at least until you get a phantom or something) just when you have full fury (which is hard because you are not always hitting minions) otherwise you wont make to much damage and you will just make them come to hit you, also using the mocking shout even when you are not going to atack to make them go back and then last hit a coulpe of minions.Those are just some considerations about Tryndamere you need to see and learn the limitations of the melee champ you want to use. If you see your ranged mate is not helping you at all and just making his own way, then try to ask him to support you a bit more when you are atacking and hitting minions , or ,if you see he doesnt care, just go back leave him alone and try to get experience of minions (not telling you to make your own way on the line if you dont work with your mate then you will probably lose and feed).
Knowing how melees wokrs will help you even when using a ranged to improve your coordination with your lane mate.

win will

08-03-2012

Buy warmog=problem solved

FaerellG

08-04-2012

I used to have the exact same problem. But I managed to figure it out. The solution is: sustain and survivability
As Melee, you are going to get hit, so you need to survive.
After you survive, you need to be able to build back up so the next round doesn't kill you either.

To that end, you also need to be able to calculate out the amount of punishment you can take and how much you can dish out. That goes into trading blows. Always make sure that you'll come out on top in the trades. Keep a good eye out for the opponent's build and changes.

Luxiere

08-04-2012

I used to have the same problem as you.

I guess this is because of all the ranged champions that I have played with and I got too much used to it.
What I can say is that you need confidence, sustainability, CS, and wards. Also, know your champion.

If you're being countered hard, ask for help or at least buy items that saves you, not items that makes you deal damage. Example, if you're more squishier than your opponent, get armor or magic resist, don't just stack them damage items.

Always get wards to know when a jungler might come and gank you. Keep in mind that even if you do so well and counter your opponent, once you sight a possible gank coming, always run or at least give others a signal that you're going to be ganked soon.

Be smart, know your champion. If you KNOW that your champion can be shut hard with just a single cc, get tenacity or run from fights and wait for the right timing to engage. Example, if you used your buffs then got cc'd right away, and you know your buffs will be gone soon, run.

CS. Your main goal is always CS, and possible kills while on it. Whether you're mid, top or bottom. CS! Unless you're a support.

Don't just run. Don't repeat mistakes. If you know you're gonna die in a 1v1 and you can't successfully run, at least try to fight then tell someone else to get an easy kill because of your sacrifice. Always better than nothing.

This guide is my opinion. If you think I'm wrong and I make no sense at all, feel free to just ignore it

Camerlango

08-04-2012

When I first started playing, I would only choose ranged champions due to my inexperience with melee (constantly getting harassed, and ending up turret hugging). But here are some tips to make it easier for playing as melee (I now am quite confident as melee characters):

- During the laning phase when you are minion farming, only last hit. This means not constantly attacking minions but staying behind your creep line, and when a minion is low on health, killing it, before retreating. Staying back = not being harassed.
- It may help to get a melee champion with a ranged harass. Gangplank's ranged shot allows you to farm minions quite safely.
- Malphite. Buy this guy. I learnt how to play melee with him. He's forgiving, because you can kill minions while taking some harass (his shield will block most of the damage for you). Because he's built tanky, you won't be harassed out of lane, and if you follow the common Philosopher's/Heart of Gold route, you'll gain gold quite fast. His kit is great - a ranged harass, with an escape/game-changing ult.
- General advice: play someone tanky/with a ranged harass when learning. When finished learning, try other melee kits. Know when to stay for a fight, and when to run. During laning phase, you should focus mostly on minion farming (be passive!) but don't underestimate your power vs ranged when you are equally farmed!
That's all, hopefully you can become confident at melee!

PlayWithMe69

08-04-2012

Watch pro streamers.