The true evolution

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Konradexius

08-02-2012

I love Viktor, and immediately bought his double bundle, because my preferred role is AP mid, and thematically I completely love him. The death ray mechanic sold him to me instantly. That said, I don't actually play him frequently, but nor do I regret my purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsai64 View Post
How about a 3rd tier upgrade that upgrades his ult based on what 2nd tier he chose?
I like this idea.

Or, if you want to get really ambitious, have 2 3rd tier upgrades per augment, allowing for 6 different possible ending items for his passive.

His current upgrade selections seem to rest between mid-game and late-game items in power level, and I would think that tier 2 should be nerfed a bit (in power and cost) so that progression up the tiers meshes well, with tier 3 being equivalent (if not more powerful!) than other late-game items.

ZtaticTEHepic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2012

I have never played viktor, and haven't because:

1.) He is so clunky and choppy feeling. His laser and his snare aren't quite as smooth as champions that I normally like to play.

2.) I don't like that he has only 5 item slots. It was a cool idea, but I don't think it is really worth it.

3.) People only use one of his augmentations. He was built to be flexible, but player feel forced that they have to play a certain way because it is the only way that is truly viable.

I have seen Viktor players do very well before, but they usually agree that he isn't a competitive pick BUT very fun.

Wulfestopheles

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solcrushed View Post
Non-Viktor players: Have you ever even considered playing Viktor or played him in the past? If so, what turned you off Viktor/what did not meet your expectations?
When I first saw him, I thought he was going to be my main, but a mage's main nuke is the most important part of his kit (imo) and the nuke/shield was just kinda.. bland.

Visually it looked light-based even though he is supposed to be the machine herald. It didn't look or feel *satisfying* I'll use Brand and Cass as examples of my favorite mages. Brand's fireball and Cass's poison burst *feel* good when you land them. Even Brand's non-skillshot lands with a sense of impact.

The arm lazer? Awesome. His gravity vortex? Awesome

His ult was... Fun... Different... but again: Machine Herald + Chaos storm thing? Eh? It doesnt *feel* right for him visually.

The passive is fun, and probably the most difficult thing to figure out about him (from Riot's side) From my point of view, it was nice to have this thing I could customize, I just wish I had more options with it. The spell effects should also probably change based on the augment he has.

King Sofa GG

08-02-2012

I tried him twice in my lol days, the reason why I don't like playing him is because I don't find satisfaction hitting that ult.

Froghl

08-02-2012

the only thing i think viktor needs is eliminate his E bug ( u dont see the laser sometimes)
I love the difficulty of using his E...
perhaps a 2nd update for his pasive...
thats all...

Meister Chief

08-02-2012

Why do I like Viktor: Viktor has an awesome backstory and personality, a scientist driven crazed by his own failures and hellbent to redeem himself through perseverance and exploitations of machinery to enhance others for his evolution. Besides his lore and his appearance looking like a badass Russian in tech-priest gear, he also has pretty fun gameplay. His laser is extremely satisfying to land and deals a hefty amount of damage. His ultimate brings a figurative atomic bomb to teamfights by nuking everyone in its path with over 2.3 AP ratios. He also has a pretty swift auto-attack animation and his laser allows him to easily clear wraiths and waves in one shot.

What I dislike about Viktor: Oh boy. Viktor has one of the highest skillcaps in the game; making use of your limited range to land difficult skillshots and strategically place disruptive AOE during clutch moments that very few other champions offer (Anivia would be a good example, as would Zyra). The problem lies in the risk and difficulty correlating to his reward. His range is so limited that its hard to trade, even if you land his laser. If you miss your laser, you have no damage for the next 8 seconds and you are going to die if you engaged on the enemy unless you have your ultimate up to deter them. Viktor doesn't offer a lot of utility besides his W, which is almost always worthless in laning versus the enemy mid unless they are stupid enough to walk into it. You have to get so close to the enemy laner to trade blows, and even with his laser range, it is still hard to do so considering that his Q range is abysmal and the shield is useless outside of protecting against DOT's (it goes off after trading would usually occur...). Viktor brings damage, this is true. But what does he sacrifice for this damage? An item slot that could be better put to use in other items (especially defensive ones such as Zhonya's Hourglass or Guardian Angel), extremely high cooldowns on his main damage abilities (E and R), a nigh-on pointless Q that is extremely lackluster in nature and has shorter range and a longer cooldown than most other spammy spells.

Overall, I don't think Viktor brings enough to a team to make him worthwhile to pick. He brings damage and poke and mild zone control, but he doesn't have anything else. His CC is situational at best and competent opponents will know not to walk into it blindly. Viktor needs something besides damage that will bring him into a more viable scene.

Even Scarra said earlier today on stream, why pick Viktor when you can pick Zyra? She has more poke, more zone control, just as much damage in a wider AOE, an extra item slot that doesn't gimp her builds and allows for warding, and arguably one of the strongest team fights and early games of any champion.

Yoshifanatic

08-02-2012

I love Viktor but I feel that the death augments ap and dot damage is just too good to pass if you want a threatening late game compared to the rest. Arguably the Gravity brings great utility but since most people give their mids blue buff + blue elixer the cdr it offers kind of goes to waste. The Augment of Power just flat out needs buffs.

Also if you could into tier 2 upgrades that would be awesome too.

GloriousKaiser

08-02-2012

I used to own Viktor but I wasn't good with him and I didn't like his 5 item restriction, and Bad Q Utility. Hopefully you can change that.

Rufen

Recruiter

08-02-2012

I don't own Viktor, but I play him a couple times when he's free.

I think mostly the laser bug turns me off. So does having a slot taken up. It's essentially an early-mid game item with no late game upgrade. That and people also smack talk you if you don't take Death Augment, even though the one for his stun gives him good utility.
It'd be nice if you could upgrade if further. It's also easy to see why people take Death over the other two, since I suppose everyone prefers a little more damage over range or speed.

His ult too. It's slow, it doesn't properly stick, and I find myself losing a lot of kills just because the cloud seems too apathetic. By this I mean, I find myself chasing it just to keep it mobile, once or twice it didn't follow anyone even though I was madly mashing the R button over my enemy.
Does it even chase? I mean, does it have any sort of AI?

Teemo Support GG

08-02-2012

Viktor players: Why did you decide to play Viktor and what do you like/dislike the most about him currently?

I like playing support mages.
I liked his Q.
I absolutely loathe the E smart casting.(Having another arrow pop up after first smart cast so you can double smart cast would be so great / make the smart cast auto aim towards nearest champ on second cast? idk. it was one of my major reasons for never playing him much. The curent mouse drag smartcast was just something i couldn't get use to, nor was really interested in having to learn to special smart cast on one champion and no one else.)

I loathe having to spend 1k on a champions passive. It is very hard not to feel like its punishing you for picking the champion just to have a skill pool thats balanced with everyone else who spends nothing.

Then on top of loathing the 1k, it just doesn't feel like it gives a good enough benefit.
I always go for the W rnage increase, and even then i never feel like its a big enough range on it.
It came down to it seemed more useful to get Q augument, hit something for speed boost and close gap to use non range increased W =/ (As i said i like playing support mages. So i don't go for his E boost.)

I like that his R is an aoe silence.
I dislike that its 0.5 seconds. What a crappy silence duration for an ultimate, i mean sure its aoe, but hell look at tanks aoes, they are straight up heavy CC with great damage as well. Why does Viktor's ult get such crappy duration cc.