Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot will NEVER respond to any thread of importance (and here's why)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

taurenroguez

08-06-2012

Quote:
taurenroguez:
Mr. Marc Merrill,

Please offer any insight on setting up server(s) in India..following the recent introduction of LoL in Thailand...

Thanks..

Bumping up...Tryndamere it will be gr8 if we cud get any replies on this...

MrPhyst

08-06-2012

Quote:
Tryndamere:
The person who used to is no longer with the company

is this person a doggy?

DreamsOfGrandeur

08-06-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Tried similar solutions there (and while there's merit) it's hard when the whole game is balanced around Flash currently. And Flash adds some pretty specific excitement.

...talk about a heated argument with Shurelia only to see her side of it at the end

I guess the Flash-changes will be a massive project then, that you should reserve for when Season 4 begins?

If the game is balanced around something problematic, you just have the roll up your sleeves and start changing EVERYTHING.

It's scary, I know - But as you guys always imply:
If you have to do something, its worth it to do it right instead of half-way.

Plus, you're only burying yourself deeper if you stall this. More champions balanced around Flash will be released, more changes to the towers / jungle based on lane balance that revolves around whether or not Flash is used...

The more you stall, the more problematic it becomes. I really wish you buys did the deed and removed it back when Zileas leaked and said it would be removed. Really sad that you guys didn't follow-through.

A blink-item would be awesome, because it offers specific trade-offs while also removing the concept of Flash in the early game, because you need gold for it.

lalaidknoname

08-06-2012

I personally don't mind having new champs released at 6300, they're new so it seems fair to make them the most expensive. But I think you should lower the prices of champs more frequently, and not keep them at 6300 for so long. Caitlyn and Kog'Maw are pretty old champs and they're still at 6300.

HowFortuitous

08-07-2012

I want to throw a shout to riot. I am one of those gamers who gets bored fast. Most online games can keep me for a month or two max. A few weeks ago I realized I had been playing LoL for one and a half years. I've won about 650 games, so that's probably a good 1300 matches I've played. That comes out to about 2-3 games a day, for a year and a half. And sure sometimes I go on a dota 2 kick, or go a few weeks without playing at all, but I always come back. Riot has made a great game.

But the thing I really want to speak about is this: Your company inspires me. After I hit 18 I fell in love and moved, got into some trouble, eventually went to college at 20. I had the option of going into video game design, but I knew a few people in the industry who described it as slave labor and I decided to go into a more general field that would be more profitable. And I'm going to finish my degree, but when I get it, I will apply to riot. I will apply to riot repeatedly. The fact is, you guys run a company that is less like a company and more like the local gaming store that has the resources to pump out content. I'm a pragmatic sort and I've always known gaming companies were companies who had to make a profit. They are loyal to their shareholders and that's the way it is. Welcome to the real world. But it seems like riot said "Screw that. I reject your reality and replace it with my own." and made a gaming company where the accountants don't run things, but the gamers do. It seems every day you come to work and try to make the game better than it was yesterday. And my only hope is that your shareholders are swimming in money baths so that other companies will start doing the same thing. I don't know the details of how you guys work, but I do know this: I want to be a part of it. So when I finish my degree, and it comes time to start the job hunt, expect my application. Because you guys have a philosophy that I can get behind, and one that I want to help make work so well that every other gaming company gets the accountants who don't care about the game out of the design and balance meetings because in my opinion, that will make the gaming industry more Awesome(TM-Property of Tryndamere)

Techn0kami

08-07-2012

Well, since Mr. Tryndamere himself is posting, I guess I'll take this time to talk about his favorite champion, Tryndamere!

He needs a small tinge of a buff, and I'll explain why. The strongest things about Tryndamere at this moment are these: his 1st level early game, and his lategame. His first level of running about being the Barbarian King is rather fantastic, because you deal just enough damage and are just tanky enough that you can capitalize on obtaining a kill relatively easily. His lategame (typically when he has an Infinity Edge, several Phantom Dancers, Bloodthirsters, and the AS Boots), is utterly terrifying. No other champion when it comes to pure auto attacks and items is nearly as scary a monster as Tryndamere.

However, come his midgame (which is pretty much between level 1 and before he can get his hands on boots, IE, PD and BT), he is very easy to handle. His sustain is enough to allow him to stay in lane, depending on the champion he's up again, but never enough to give him an edge. The fact that his entire rage bar is drained from using his heal is somewhat harsh, because even though Tryndamere is a mainly auto attacking champion, he does need to farm, and shouldn't be simply auto attacking every time he gets the chance to keep his rage bar up. Yes it gives him increased crit chance and thus damage, but he still needs to keep it sustained, and when he gets it up initially, the minions that he will be killing to raise his rage will suddenly not be there, and his lane will be pushed out. This enables the enemy jungler to more easily gank Tryndamere, and so any advantage you think you might have gained by pushing the lane is effectively void.

This brings us back to the issue of "he's an auto attacking champion utilizing the rage mechanic".

If he were to gain a heal buff, he would have a similar problem he had a while ago and wouldn't be able to be pushed out of lane due to how much health he would regain. He would become a strong tower pusher, which is why I don't see it happening.
Increasing the slow on his Q would be an interesting way of compensating his lack of mid-game damage, but it would also give Tryndamere an even stronger chasing ability, and he could easily kill champions much too quickly.

I don't see his E needing any changes, and I believe that it's fine as is.

His R is his defining ability by all means, and increasing its time would just transform him into an unholy terror. It shouldn't happen. The only qualm I have about his R is not pressing it fast enough, to be honest.

So, now we need to see what we can do about Tryndamere to give him a little bit of an edge, but not one which will allow him to to berserk and butcher as he pleases (because Dr. Mundo's already got him beat in that field).

I think his mid-game damage issues can be fixed two ways.

a.) Decreasing how fast his rage bar deteriorates.

b.) Reducing the amount of Fury sucked away on use of his Q by half.

If his fury bar deteriorates at a slower rate, it would allow him to jungle more effectively, because fury is a poor mechanic for jungling to be honest. The fury bar as it is deteriorates too quickly, and since its an integral part of Tryndamere, less fury is crippling. With this change, it would give him the damage he needs to clear camps more effectively, and allow him to gank with a respectable amount of Fury, making his ganks in terms of damage more useful. The change to his Q would also give him a better sustain that wouldn't entirely cripple his damage output. It would also help his time as a top laner because he'll have slightly more consistent damage, and might be able to trade more effectively as he farms minions and dukes it out with the top laner. The more fury which stays on Tryndamere, the stronger he is overall.

P.S. -Renekton as a fury-based champion is also somewhat weak, and needs to be able to generate more of it more quickly. But he's an entirely different champion all together, and I honestly don't know enough about him other than "his late-game is atrocious, I don't feel like I need to get fed to be useful, and he needs some kind of change".
------------------------------------------------------------

On a more self-interested note, what kind of artistic opportunities does Riot offer?

Momento Morì

08-07-2012

Quote:
DreamsOfGrandeur:
I guess the Flash-changes will be a massive project then, that you should reserve for when Season 4 begins?

If the game is balanced around something problematic, you just have the roll up your sleeves and start changing EVERYTHING.

It's scary, I know - But as you guys always imply:
If you have to do something, its worth it to do it right instead of half-way.

Plus, you're only burying yourself deeper if you stall this. More champions balanced around Flash will be released, more changes to the towers / jungle based on lane balance that revolves around whether or not Flash is used...

The more you stall, the more problematic it becomes. I really wish you buys did the deed and removed it back when Zileas leaked and said it would be removed. Really sad that you guys didn't follow-through.

A blink-item would be awesome, because it offers specific trade-offs while also removing the concept of Flash in the early game, because you need gold for it.

So why not just leave it be? It's not like it's a problem right now. It's just a thing.

Pharaoh316

08-07-2012

Quote:
Morello:
Darius needs a couple things:

* Be more team-friendly (killing is fine, but making sure that translates into win)
* Make his ult have a bit more tension/decision-making

I don't want to remove Noxian Bunnyhopping, but I'd like doing so to have a better long-term cost.

May I suggest something similar to Gondar's ultimate from Dota. Whenever Gondar is part of a kill he would receive extra gold from it as a passive.

Since one of the bigger problems with Darius is that whenever he penta's a team by Noxian Bunnyhopping it takes away a significant portion of gold for the other members of his team.

So why don't you add a little buff giving X amount of gold to all the people who assisted in the kill as long as his ult gives the killing blow. Obviously buffing something like this means you have to make it slightly tougher to get the kill etc. but I'm just spitballing.

Asians First

Recruiter

08-07-2012

Quote:
Tryndamere:
Thanks for the detailed initial post. I understand and can relate to your frustration, because for years, I sat on your guys side of the fence as a passionate gamer who really wanted to help the game that I loved be even better. I would sit for hours writing up detailed posts, I would discuss with my friends and I would wrack my brain on figuring out how to "get through" to the company that could make decisions that impacted this thing that I cared about so greatly.

It is thus a strange twist of fate that I now sit where I sit and have the ability to either cause great frustration in you all, or, to alleviate this frustration and ideally channel your passionate energy into something constructive for our game and community.

Let me attempt to do so (in a small way) by responding to this post, but hopefully by the end of reading this, I will help reassure some of you that each and every day, 24 hours a day, these are precisely the things that we spend all of our time thinking about - because we want the same things you do.

Agreed. Allow me to apologize officially on behalf of Riot for our poor handling of many situations. If it is any consolation, I would like you (and whomever else reads this), that we do very thorough and formalized "retrospectives" of all of these events - and many others - to help us do better in the future and not make the same mistakes, or, to react to current situations that we haven't adequately addressed. Many of the topics you have listed are situations that various teams at the company are actively working on.

Now, what does "actively working on" mean? This is one thing that you cite that is frustrating. Sure we "say" that we are "actively working on" something, but words are wind - as we all know.

That's one of the reason we created the League of Legends timeline, http://timeline.leagueoflegends.com/ - we wanted to remind everyone about how significantly the game has evolved and will continue to evolve because we are constantly "actively working" on many things.

But the underlying reason for a lot of the issues you have cited with concern is that Riot has grown a lot in order to expand our capabilities to support tens of millions of users around the world, and ensuring that all of the multitude of things that we do on a daily basis are always awesome and fully aligned with our goal of delighting you all with awesome, is simply put, difficult. The good news is that we are a company that learns very quickly and has amazing people at all levels of the company who care deeply about this mission. We WANT to deliver awesome with everything that we do. When we don't, we take it very seriously.

I can say with confidence, that this is one thing that separates us from many other companies - from top to bottom, the thing that matters most to us is delighting our players and that's what drives our decisions. When we do something that deviates from that, it is likely due to sub-optimal execution, or misalignment internally, rather than any deliberate attempt to be not awesome. It's hard to demonstrate this, but I think the players who have come to events and met us or visited the office can vouch for these things, but ideally we'll have more ways to communicate and reinforce these ideals in a more scaleable way in the future (we are actively working on that =p).

The real reason we don't address some of these things head on, is because often times we don't have great answers and/or are working on great long term solutions that aren't ready for daylight yet.

We have learned over time (from community feedback) that saying we are working on something really isn't a great answer, because time is a very important factor that has a different perception depending on who is looking at the situation and whose perspective we are looking at it from. Example: if a character is slightly OP, say has a 2% higher win rate than our average, (by tending to win too many matchups, or be too versatile, etc), the severity of the issue can be different depending on who is looking at the situation. Competitive players may think it is a major issue due it this character impacting the meta (picks, bans, lane allocations, etc), while many other players may not care at all. Or, our design team may think that a noob stompy champion (say, Tryndamere!!1) who is not frequently used at high level play, is a much more important issue to address because it impacts a large % of players, but the competitive tier doesn't really have this come up on their radar, etc.

The key is that things are relative based on the viewers perspective (any physics or philosophy majors out there?).

Now, that's a design example, but we may have a similar situation re: priorities that hit other issues, like pricing, development priorities, etc. Sometimes we "stop gap" until we have a better long term solution.

A great example is pricing. We haven't been fully happy with our pricing communication, approach and execution because believe it or not, pricing is not something that receives much attention from most senior people at the company. We're focused on creating awesome - like developing E-sports, building game features, improving our content or intellectual property, building the organization, launching internationally, etc.

Pricing, aside from us saying "let's have the game be free forever and never sell power" has largely been an after thought because our view is that if we create awesome, then our players will reward us. That has held true.

Thus, if we botch the retirement of skins, or don't have enough sales, it is really due to organizational momentum and the lack of real leadership driving a directional change based on your guys feedback. The good news is, for those who care about pricing and those types of things, is that we have real, dedicated leadership here now who can focus on doing a better job of ensuring your needs are better met from that perspective.

Now, that doesn't mean that all skins will now cost 0 IP, or something equally drastic, but what it DOES mean is that there will be a lot more careful consideration, focus and communication with you all about what we're doing there.

With pretty much anything that sucks that we do, the upstream "cause" can be traced to that - the lack of sufficient mindshare because we probably think something else is more important - until we find the right person or grow the organization in such a way as to enable us to do all that we need to do in parallel.

There's no conspiracy where we're sitting around twisting our mustaches, if anything, the only mustache twisting we do is in regards to "creating more awesome" and figuring out how to delight you. Ask any Rioter, and they will tell you the same thing. Pretty much all of our focus internally is on that.

That's really just not the case. The problem simply relates to more "noise" and more things to do. We now are the largest online game in the world and serve (literally) tens of millions of gamers. Scale is hard, but we think we're up to the challenge and we appreciate your support.

You holding faith that we WILL do better is important to us, and don't be afraid to call us out when we're not as awesome as we usually are - because it is critical for us to keep our execution bar as high (or even higher) than it has always been.

The cool thing is, in all seriousness, we do have tons of awesome in store and our capabilities are stronger than ever. The Season 3 teaser from today is a sneak peak in this direction, but we have a lot more awesome coming that I don't want to spoil with a message board post (because the announcements or the releases will be 100000000x cooler).

Hopefully this was helpful and thanks for all of your patience while we keep trying to do an even better job for you guys.

On a personal note, my ELO has dropped from about 1650 to 1400 because I'm focusing so much more on trying to build our organizational capabilities than I am at keeping my LOL skills sharp - another tragedy that I look forward to remedying (so trust me when I say I'm motivated)!

you should respond to the twitch players we have been bumping the thread for a long time...

IS1bebc30e34fedef61db6c

08-07-2012

U forget Europe threads, Riot NA systematically ignores European community and their threads and doesn't even want to have a dialogue about ignoring EU.