Riot will NEVER respond to any thread of importance (and here's why)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Leraye

08-06-2012

The pricing is a particularly sensitive issue for me, and while I'm sure this post won't get a red response, it doesn't hurt to have my opinion out there. I'll use the most recent example.

Since Pulsefire Ezreal came out, I've been dying to get him. I think he's a very cool, very well done skin that makes a champion I previously had no interest in extremely desirable to learn how to play. When the initial release of him came, he was placed in a discounted package deal and I was really excited to get him, but given that I don't really make enough money to have disposable income on the fly, for multiple reasons that include hospital bills, regular bills, and supporting a household, I was unable to afford the RP to get the package deal.

Fast forward to later on, other people in my household have found jobs and I have a little more income to toss around on fun things, so whenever I get paid I try to allocate a little of my paycheck into LoL to try and reward Riot for making a fun and awesome game. Usually I'm able to grab a $10 or $25 card and get some RP for champions, but for the most part I try to save it and get champions I'm interested in when they come on sale - to stretch my limited income as much as possible. Sales come and go and I keep hoping to see a champion I'd like on the roster, but sometimes they don't pop up for several weeks and I give up hope, eventually buying them for the full price.

Back to PFEz, this is a skin that, most likely, will never go on sale again. I could spend the entire price of unlocking Ezreal and then his Pulsefire skin for 4225 RP - but doing so would cost the entirety of my bi-weekly budget for the game (and then some). So, I'm more or less excluded from this skin because of my limited income. And even if I could swing the entire price of it in a go, that means that I have to spend the price of TEN champions/skins while they're on sale in order to unlock this one. The skin is amazing and I want it desperately, but I can't make a sacrifice like that, not even close.

What I'm ultimately trying to get to, now that I've went on long enough, is when does Riot take a step back and think "Our players reward us for what we provide them, how do we reward them in return?" - afterall, give and take should be an infinite cycle. When does it sink it that a 4225 RP skin, or even the new Cho'Gath (nearly 2000 RP iirc), may be out of reach for the players who don't leech off Riot by never donating money, but don't have enough to donate to that extent? When do these things go on sale to make them more obtainable to those who can't always give the amount you ask?

Dreggon

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryndamere View Post
Yah, we've thought about it - but have concerns about separating you guys down under from the greater English speaking community.

What are your thoughts on that?
I'd love to be able to keep my NA account but freely use it in both Australian and American servers. I'd love to test whether or not I get better pings from the European/Brazilian servers, but at the cost of permanently losing this account's access to NA servers? No thanks.

EFG

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veigar HP View Post
Snip

Yeah. Wow, this post is awesome. I wish riot would look at the way wotc has managed mtg because for me that is the benchmark for sustainability while still raking in dosh hand over fist. Its been around for 20+ years and it will be around for another 20.

Endoscopy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-06-2012

Quote:
Great post. What do you do for a living good sir?

You should apply.
I would never apply to a company that has such horrid PR. It's like you guys don't even try.

Tryndamere

President / Co-Founder

Follow MarcMerrill on Twitter

08-06-2012
41 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silencer1234 View Post
tryndamere how do you feel about your company being prodded poked and disturbed for doing your best? do you ever feel like punching a wall with this community?
No - gamers are smart and passionate. That combo means that you don't let us off the hook easy.

Sometimes that does boarder into "argumentative" or "rules lawyery", but even in those situations it just reinforces that we need to do a better job

PVPMaiMai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
-.-
Aww. *huggie*

Tryndamere

President / Co-Founder

Follow MarcMerrill on Twitter

08-06-2012
42 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endoscopy View Post
I would never apply to a company that has such horrid PR. It's like you guys don't even try.
K

Thane Soren

Recruiter

08-06-2012

Let me first say that I really appreciate the attention to this thread and the large amount of Red posts, and I'm also happy we can see some of Tryndamere's personality. (Btw, does he spin through the office walls to get around easier?)

But there's one thing I haven't really seen addressed so far in these posts - It just kind of seems to me like Riot's dodging the 1000rp subject. Are you guys actively avoiding it, or I mean...it's just not settling right in my (and many others') minds, especially with the low amount of attention brought to it.

Isamichi

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox1st View Post
"new leadership"=chinese overlords.
http://sc2pod.com/img/gallery/732.jpg
+
http://www.chinaking-zelda.com/images/sign.jpg

Quote:
...dude who used to run a Hedge fund ...
http://sc2pod.com/img/gallery/732.jpg
+
http://www.chinaking-zelda.com/images/sign.jpg
+
http://wiimedia.ign.com/wii/image/ar...418415-000.jpg

^: Literally what i thought as i read those comments.
... Need to lay off the soda T.T

CannibalMoose

08-06-2012

So, Tryndamere answers with a long post that doesn't even answer the questions that require direct solutions.
Expected.