Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot will NEVER respond to any thread of importance (and here's why)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tryndamere

President / Co-Founder

Follow MarcMerrill on Twitter

08-06-2012

Quote:
Veigar HP:
You have organized your company to focus on pleasing your customers as much as possible, creating the most awesome game you can. But is it sustainable?

Roughly every two weeks a new champion is created and added to an already massive roster of champions. Three years ago the premise of becoming familiar with all the champions that existed in league of legends wasn't as daunting as it is now, as the number of champions has tripled. In order to manage the growing complexity, it is important that new champions not be deliberately complicated. However, if new champions are deliberately boring, the devoted portion of the player base, which is familiar with all the champs thus far, will assault the new champion for not adding anything new or interesting to the game.

Given that, I suppose that you value simple to understand but unique champion concepts, like Tryndamere's ult just for example. But again, moderation is the ultimate creed, and if all champions are deliberately and absolutely unique, in all or even most aspects, then the rate of increase of complexity of this game will eventually make the task of learning all champions in the game too daunting to undertake.

The number of seasoned lol players at a given moment is equal to the number that already existed, minus those that have left to play other games, plus those that have graduated from playing casually by becoming intimately familiar with every champ.

As new champions are created, assuming they each bring something unique to the game, the task of becoming familiar with every champion increases in difficulty and therefore the number of players graduating from casual play to seasoned play, per month, decreases.

The number one reason seasoned players leave to play other games is because they lose interest in the game, i.e. it is not engaging, complex, or interesting enough. You have organized your company to retain player interest by primarily by releasing new champions. The problem is that this will only entertain most, not all of the seasoned champs, therefore some of them will still leave.

The number of seasoned lol players now = N
The number of seasoned lol players a month ago = M
The number of seasoned lol players that have left to play other games = L
The number of casual players that graduated to seasoned play = S
N = M - L + S

See the problem? N = M after every iteration, and your the number of seasoned players in your player base is stable, as long as L = S, but if you keep creating new champions, L will overtake S.

I really don't believe every game has to die. Chess didn't. Basketball didn't. What you have done is created a market for the "awesome" that you love to share with the community that you have organized. That doesn't mean that "awesome" has to be exclusively new champions. Introducing new maps, like dominion and twisted tree line, extend the longevity of your game, because it attracts new players and satisfies existing ones without markedly increasing complexity. Skins are good for the longevity of this game for the same reason. New champions every two weeks isn't.

Are you interested exclusively in making the most awesome game you can, right now?
OR
Are you interested in making a game that is a tad less awesome but will survive for years and years, maybe even a decade, and then transcend time? A game that will have a truly fanatic fan base of people who have seen it grow and change with their children, a game which values balance and honing that balance to a razor's edge over years and years of meticulous tweaks, patches, and revisions. Not just a passing entertainment, but a sport, a work of art.

Tryndamere, i strongly urge you to think for a long time about what i've said here, and decide what kind of game you want for this community.
How can you change your business model to make it sustainable? People want to pay for sustainability, because that is by far the best kind of "awesome" in the long run. Give us a chance to do that.

Here is an example model that is sustainable:

Reduce the number of new champions you produce each month, and increase the number of exclusive, limited edition skins, like a Veigar skin for which he is stumbling around in his pajamas, but there are only 1000 released. Other players can exchange limited edition skins, like swapping trading cards, but the transaction costs a very small fee (like 100 RP). The important thing is to release a large number of limited edition skins, so that it is nearly impossible for a single person to memorize all of them. You can offload the labor required to create those skins by creating a application that would allow the community to easily create their own, and submit them to riot for review, where people vote on whether they want that skin to become an official limited edition skin, to be purchased by players and eventually traded around. The more skins there are to trade, the better, because it both satisfies existing devoted lol players and doesn't add any complexity to the game for new players.

I'm not saying that this is the only way to make your business sustainable, but please, for all of us out there who have really fallen in love with league of legends, adopt a sustainable business model.

That would be truly, truly awesome.

Great post. What do you do for a living good sir?

You should apply.

Lunar Lightning

08-06-2012

Quote:
Tryndamere:
Lots of people curious about pricing reductions - will need to get back to you guys on that when I check with the team (it's late).

please do 6300 for rune pages and champions is absurd

--im not cheap either ive spent about 200 on rp for this game

ZeroSlash

08-06-2012

Quote:
Tryndamere:
Appreciate the note and we know.

We ARE you guys, that's the funny thing. So we know exactly what it's like to be in your shoes.

This ^ is what exactly, makes me want to join Riot, because you do feel like you are us, even if people deny that, and claim that you're just another tyrant company that doesn't talk to its players.

MystDragoon

08-06-2012

@tryn:

Thanks for taking the time out and replying to us. Know that the forum community doesn't bat 1.000 either, but there are a large portion of us who appreciate your time and concern.

Damie904

08-06-2012

RIOT HIRE THAT M-oh wait...

stiltefied

08-06-2012

tryndamere how do you feel about your company being prodded poked and disturbed for doing your best? do you ever feel like punching a wall with this community?

Tryndamere

President / Co-Founder

Follow MarcMerrill on Twitter

08-06-2012

Quote:
ohgreatone32:
This quote, right here ^, makes me love your company that much more.

Have room for someone with a Masters in Econ? =)

Maybe!

We love people who love LOL and who are smart

Leib Olmai

08-06-2012

Quote:
Tryndamere:
Come to a show - PAX, Gamescom, our Season 2 championships - you'll see it. Nothing makes us happier than making awesome stuff to delight you guys.

Guess what I did all day Sunday? Played LOL (and lost like 10 games - been traveling too much lol) and watched the tournament.

Also - I r excite for our next huge batch of product awesome - we're still just getting started IMO.

That is one thing I "hate" the most about you (as Riot)

And it's my fault, kinda.
I live in Canada, and in my province the plane ticket from here to LA is SO expensive (they don't even offer direct path and have to transfer from an airport to another one)... + the ticket to PAX/Season 2 championships.

It's impossible to make it.
To meet you guys, and to see all your dedication and talk about so much stuff.

I r sad.
I watch every single tournament. I follow LoL eSport like no one else.
But I will most likely never be able to attend one of your event.

jkhoopster

08-06-2012

I would just like to say that you guys should go play other games and then come back to League and tell me how awful it is. Riot is really great and head and shoulders above every other game company I have ever encountered as far as talking to their player base and responding to concerns. I would like to say thanks for all the hard work they do in this regard.

bunies

08-06-2012

Quote:
Tryndamere:
No, they're versatility / customization.

The ceiling (power) is just as high if you have 1 page or 1,000 pages.

im curious to see you play draft, with only 1 rune page and 20 champs vs someoen with 20 rune pages all champs and see how well you do